Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 4:47 pm

I wonder if all the supposed NTs stuck in monumental traffic jams who thought that honking their horns incessantly would speed things up, are engaging in quasi-schizotypal "magical thinking" as well? :scratch:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 2:27 am

auntblabby wrote:
I wonder if all the supposed NTs stuck in monumental traffic jams who thought that honking their horns incessantly would speed things up, are engaging in quasi-schizotypal "magical thinking" as well? :scratch:

i am unsure as to whether you are serious or not.

you did say "quasi" which means i can not refute what you said because there is no real definition of "quasi schizotypal"
anyway.

i spoke to my psychiatrist for ages about various conditions when i was a child and borrowed books from her shelf to read (she was resident at the unit i was in).

magical thinking entails ascribing relationships between things which are unrelated in order to explain or foretell various things they can not resolve logically.

it is well entwined within another disorder called "erotomania" and also somewhat in various manifestations of "OCD".
erotomania is the false belief that someone else is in love with them despite the fact that there are no indications of such. these beliefs are derived from irrational analysis of various things, like "how she parked her car today" and "the the blinds on her window were in a certain position" etc.
it also can be cobbled together by remembering number plates (license tags in US?) from many cars they saw during a period of a day for example, in which they can say that the name of the person who they think loves them was spelled out picking various letters from various license plates. (if i was thinking of the word "paraphernalia" for example, and i drove to sydney from here, it is certain that i would see every letter comprising the word "paraphernalia" after scrutinizing every number plate on the way down. but , unlike the schizotype i would see that it would be inevitable that i could spell every word i could think of using a bag of letters derived from every number plate in only a shortish distance))

sometimes, a blacked out street light outside the home of their fixation "indicates" that the person is angry with them and wants them to make a romantic approach. this is magical thinking.

a quick mention of OCD is in order. the belief that sufferers of OCD have, is that unless they perform (often useless ) ritualistic behavior, calamity will result. this also entails an excessive susceptibility to superstition which can also be thought of as magical thinking.

idiots who blow their horn at a similarly stuck person in front of them i would not suspect believe that it will do any good. i think they do it to let of some sort of steam like saying "FUUUUUCK!! !!".

if they were that deluded, they would often exit their vehicles and initiate an altercation with the driver of a car in front of them who has no hope of going anywhere.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jan 2017, 4:35 pm

As a child I would appear very schizophrenic to an outside observer's point of view because of how I explain certain things....but it was caused by the lack of proper information that forces me to theorize as to why things are what they are. Just to make sense of it all...
I remember peeking at the back of our black and white TV while pressing the power button off just to see where all those little people went after the TV is turned of.Needless to say....I never caught any of them. ( sneaky bastards ) :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 4:54 pm

neurotypicalET wrote:
As a child I would appear very schizophrenic to an outside observer's point of view because of how I explain certain things....but it was caused by the lack of proper information that forces me to theorize as to why things are what they are. Just to make sense of it all...
I remember peeking at the back of our black and white TV while pressing the power button off just to see where all those little people went after the TV is turned of.Needless to say....I never caught any of them. ( sneaky bastards ) :lol:

that reminds me of a youtube video of a cat running around behind a tv set trying to catch critters it saw on screen. :cat:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 8:36 pm

I think I saw that cat video! It was funny! Cat videos are one of my favorite diversions!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 8:40 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I think I saw that cat video! It was funny! Cat videos are one of my favorite diversions!

what about making :cat: chase after the laser light beam?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 9:48 pm

I saw a video containing two of my favorite obsessions: cats watching a tennis match! I think Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic were playing. Makes sense-both move like cats on court!