Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

foxant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2017, 3:44 pm

i have autism but paralell i have depression too, for years. i cant get a job cause i have serious problem to chat with people and deal with the public. i feel extremely anxious all the time. theres some people that say, that just lies of me to not work, and if i work all my problems would vanish. i had no answer to that ignorant and selfish statement. what you guys think?

Special Interest: memes

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 Jan 2017, 5:36 pm

I have physical disabilities in addition to my Aspergers. My parents & people online have told me I need to get a job when I would complain about my problems especially when I was going through a bad depression. I was trying my best to find a job but having no work experience & then very little after I quit working as well as being very limited with the jobs I can do & all this during the recession made finding a job quite difficult for me. Being told to get a job came off to me like they thought I was being lazy & they were dismissing my problems.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 8:24 pm

I've gotten p!ssed off at people when they would shout at me "Get a real f!cking job" when I was delivering pizza.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 9:54 pm

Since I already have a job (albeit part-time), I put it upon myself to get a full-time job. That is one of my goals for myself.

foxant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2017, 11:30 pm

nick007 wrote:
I have physical disabilities in addition to my Aspergers. My parents & people online have told me I need to get a job when I would complain about my problems especially when I was going through a bad depression. I was trying my best to find a job but having no work experience & then very little after I quit working as well as being very limited with the jobs I can do & all this during the recession made finding a job quite difficult for me. Being told to get a job came off to me like they thought I was being lazy & they were dismissing my problems.

yes i know how it feels like. well, dont give up finding a job, you will find it eventually. i still cant imagine myself working, i had almost 30s, and i never worked before. the stress i feel in public, especially cause i had misophonia, is so big that cause me physical pain. always theres gonna be a guy snaping finger or whistling in the job, i just dont know what to do. also my memory and focus is terrible, i imagine my boss mocking me cause im slow or distracted, i would hate it. i was offered job to me by my father friend but im so coward, i just dont have the guts to even try it :( if only i was not sensible to certain sounds that cause me sensorial overload...

Special Interest: memes

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2017, 8:37 pm

Some people don't understand disability. You must just be lazy. In a way I think they are jealous. Like this person is cheating the system and I have to work so why can't I do that? It's not fair so you have to be miserable like me.They don't understand there are struggles for us like they struggle at a job. Maybe jealous is not the right word.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 5:54 pm

My mom tells me and my sister to find ourselves jobs because our mom believes she can snap her fingers and a miracle will happen. :x

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 6:13 pm

I don't think anyone can really understand unless they've experienced that for themselves.

My first job stressed me out so much I ended up on anti depressants and I had to resign. I was not unemployed for long because I got an early morning cleaning job. It was all I could handle because it involved no interaction with other people. But it was another year until I was well enough to handle a job involving other people. That was part time. It took another four years until I could manage full time work.

Depression is like a fog you can't push through and even when you manage to.push through anxiety is there to make social interaction more difficult.

Having a regular job gives me a routine and a reason to get up in the morning. I think it does help, but it's not a miracle cure. You need medical support too.

hellhole
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Feb 2017, 9:00 pm

Something I've noticed is that, often, people will do pretty much anything to one up you/put you down to make themselves seem superior, and basically add a boost their own self-esteem at the cost of yours. Telling someone to get a job is like the most generic 'command' you can give someone to try to one-up them. Well that, and as a general rule of society, people basically force each-other to conform to social norms, so if you aren't a miserable git like everyone else working a 9-5 desk job, you must be "lazy" or just a bad person in general (obviously this isn't exactly the case)

Reminds me of that one line from Bruce Hornsby, The Range - The Way It Is...

Just for fun he says "Get a job".

The only two viable reasons to get a one include: "cash for family" and/or "cash for yourself". Please don't feel pressured into getting a one just because "you have to"; and pay no attention to the people who say you do. When they ask if you have a one just ask them "why are you asking?", or "it's none of your business" if you want to be upfront about the whole thing.

"vulnerable narcissistic defenses w/ mild borderline traits"; Body Dysmorphic Disorder, (self-diagnosed).

Our internal representation of reality: (http://bit.ly/2BJuj5o)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 10:33 am

It's a catch22 , jobs can help with depression for some people and give you some self worth but how can you get a job when you're too depressed to leave the house :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 1:36 pm

I find it offensive for people to a) assume I am not actively seeking employment and b) assume I am too lazy or unmotivated to work. I can assure you that I am very eager to get back into employment.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 2:07 pm

How about having a job, and catching hell from everyone for having this job? I've been using my car to take people to work that either have a DUI, or are in a sober house, and trying to get their license, or are getting their life back together after being unemployed for a while. In the past week, I've had to replace a timing belt, tensioners, pulleys and a water pump, as well as a serpentine belt, after I dropped my clients at their employer, and had to be towed to what amounted to be a back yard mechanic (in my brother's opinion, since he paid the tow and repair bill). My car broke down in the same place, after dropping off a different client, but this time, the tensioner on the serpentine belt broke. I'm catching all hell from everybody for calling this same mechanic for another tow, and another repair bill. It wouldn't have mattered if I called the police and the sent for a tow, they would have called the same mechanic. I was told point blank by my brothers stop using my car as a taxi service, OR ELSE they would have my driver's license revoked since I am mentally unstable. Well, I might as well give up my license voluntarily, sit home and watch cartoons all day, as well as give up all music gigs I have, since they're ALWAYS RIGHT, and I'M ALWAYS WRONG! Yet I'm a lazy, f!cking no-good Sonofab!tch, when I sit my ass here at the townhouse, on SSDI, and collecting my $16.00/month in Food Stamps, and whatever I get from the local food bank.

Phobic Flower
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2017, 2:34 pm

i know there are a few answers already but; yeah. I personally am eager to get to a functioning point where i can work. part time or otherwise.

But when they tell my sibling who has a harder time, they only tell him to get one b.t.w.; that is when i get offended. i get offended for him, basically. I get frustrated. angry. My brother is not there yet; don't put him in a place every doctor knows he is;
A. Not yet ready for large of expected responsibility
B. Serious Consistency
C. Stress and Pressure.

I and my mother don't want him to feel the pressure to work until he is like... 98% ready to try working. I wish our family would get it but they are all very, very ignorant about mental illness in general.

in summary; yeah, its offensive to ask those whom are mentally ill/ASD to ' go get a job.'. :ninja:

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2017, 2:09 pm

Yeah, somewhat. I remember one time, like, 20 years ago when I was in this store with my sister and I saw something I really wanted to get. I don't recall exactly what I said or how I was acting, but out of the blue, my sister says "It's called get a job." I was just 16 then; or maybe 18. I don't know what was up with her that day. Also, recently, my dad told me that me looking for a job would be "a step in the right direction". That's before I was getting my Social Security benefits. Even now that I'm getting them, he STILL wants me to get a job. I know he means well and just wants what's best for me. I'm his baby girl, after all.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 7:15 am

I have a feeling if i overdosed on my medication (insulin for diabetes) and were induced into a coma, my family would recognise that i was suffering from depression, though i haven't gotten that desperate (or depressed) yet but i have in the past had suicidal tendencies which i haven't told anyone about. Obviously a coma is a serious ailment to put yourself through just to get attention but i really don't see any other way, i just get the impression they don't care what happens, as long as I don't have a job I will always been seen as a waste of space.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 8:05 am

When I was a shut in people used to tell me to get a job all the time. Of course it was rather troublesome and yea I did get a bit butthurt about it. Even as an artist I will often have people tell me to get a "real job" and the last person who told me that got cut loose faster then fire on a gasoline spill -_=