Page 19 of 62 [ 980 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 62  Next

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:30 pm

Booyakasha wrote:

lol :lol: Yeah, that's why I don't trust them, they're just rushing to put a label on someone, and to give them some medications....well most of them. Even if they themselves could use some medication more often than not lol

I'm not sure but I don't think my therapist has the authority to diagnose me or prescribe me meds , I think he can only make recommendations.

I'm not sure but I think general term 'therapist' has a different meaning depending on country?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:37 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Thanks! Yeah, my sleep patterns recently have not been good. I can't sleep without waking up at least once anymore. I think this might be due to stress/anxiety, but I don't know for sure. I can't wait to get back to school :D .

Yeah- my therapist wanted my mom there for a while as well, and she sometimes still comes in for a little bit. I'm glad you are having a self-reflecting time talking with your GF- those always help work through some of my issues :D .

If you anything like me with regards to sleep you need to learn from this. Obviously sleep is sometimes difficult due to anxiety / stress and next time you need to address your sleeping issues as soon as possible with your mum , dad or therapist. Sometimes it's the type of sleep you get , you can be asleep for 8 hours but not feel rested or recharged because you never enter into the right type of sleep ( the deep sleep - sometimes called stage 4). I think stage 4 is my arch-enemy sometimes :lol:

Yeah- I definitely need to find a way to get the "right kind" of sleep. My problem is that I wake up in the middle of the night and I feel completely rested, but I still need more sleep because I am exhausted the next day. It's been better recently- I woke up once at 7:00 today, but then I was able to fall back asleep until 11:30 a.m.! I guess I needed sleep :D . I had a terrible dream about psychosis, though :( .

I hope you are still doing okay- I'm working myself up again right now, but posting here is completely distracting me, so that's good :D . My problem now is that I had a paranoid thought and I don't know if I immediately recognized it as paranoid and tried to resist it. I'm telling my psychologist about this, along with my sleep problems. It's the same thing that happened a few days ago with the alien thought- now I'm even more worried :( .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:33 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Booyakasha wrote:

lol :lol: Yeah, that's why I don't trust them, they're just rushing to put a label on someone, and to give them some medications....well most of them. Even if they themselves could use some medication more often than not lol

I'm not sure but I don't think my therapist has the authority to diagnose me or prescribe me meds , I think he can only make recommendations.

I'm not sure but I think general term 'therapist' has a different meaning depending on country?

Could be! I'm not sure how it is there, but here we only have shrinks for that purposes - I mean, for making diagnosis and proscribing meds, and at least in my case, they were of no help at all. They just wanted to stuff me with anti-anxiety pills, and I don't think that's the solution. Here you can't really get an Asperger diagnosis unless you're a child, there's no such thing as help centres for the grown ups - when I came to ask in different places, they mostly havent even heard of it, and one shrink had to check in the book lol :roll: :lol:

That doesn't mean that in some more developed countries they couldn't help :)

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:36 am

^ i heard that story before.

i was stuffed with anti anxiety medicine once, last year when i thoight i would lose half my vision and my world was over. am an artist.

gestaltists???

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:51 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
^ i heard that story before.

i was stuffed with anti anxiety medicine once, last year when i thoight i would lose half my vision and my world was over. am an artist.

gestaltists???

yes, I remember :) did that really help at all???

I mean, you get the same effect if you drink booze or whatnot, I don't see the point in curing the symptom, rather than the cause.

gestaltists? Maybe that approach would be beneficial, dunno, but I lost any trust in going to any of them, I like to help myself lol

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:05 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I used to have my mom with me at every visit, but she's not allowed in anymore as it "hinders my progress :roll: ." Now whenever he makes a joke or asks a question I don't understand I am just sitting there like a weirdo because I don't have someone to "translate" for me :D . I could probably spend about 10 session just going through all the problems I have had in my short little life :lol: .

Is that frustrating? Embarrassing? Some other feeling?

Do you remember or write down any of the jokes or questions to deal with afterward, or do you prefer to just let them go?

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I am actually doing better today :D . The paranoid thoughts have subsided at least some, and I figured out why I had been having one of my "symptoms." I think my sleep patterns being weird have caused the "confusion" between fantasy and reality (I know the difference, but for some reason I have to constantly ask myself if I believe fantasy is real and vice versa) as well as my existential thoughts and derealization/depersonalization (yup, I get that too!). I feel like when I go back to school I will be more "in reality" and not stuck in my head as much.

(Cheering for you!) :wtg: :star: :idea:
That makes perfect sense. An intrusive thought pops into your head, related to your obsession. You test the thought to gauge your reaction. Exhausted and anxious minds do weird things with intrusive thoughts, so there goes the thought, around and around, the more you worry about it. A calm, rested mind, on the other hand, lets the thought go as inconsequential and unimportant.

It's so easy to slip into disturbing thought patterns when exhausted. I've done it, over and over. It's so freeing when I can say, 'Tired mind playing tricks on me again. None of this matters.' I hope that in time, you'll come to believe that statement more and more, and feel the need to test these disturbing thoughts less and less.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:33 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Thanks! Yeah, my sleep patterns recently have not been good. I can't sleep without waking up at least once anymore. I think this might be due to stress/anxiety, but I don't know for sure. I can't wait to get back to school :D .

Yeah- my therapist wanted my mom there for a while as well, and she sometimes still comes in for a little bit. I'm glad you are having a self-reflecting time talking with your GF- those always help work through some of my issues :D .

If you anything like me with regards to sleep you need to learn from this. Obviously sleep is sometimes difficult due to anxiety / stress and next time you need to address your sleeping issues as soon as possible with your mum , dad or therapist. Sometimes it's the type of sleep you get , you can be asleep for 8 hours but not feel rested or recharged because you never enter into the right type of sleep ( the deep sleep - sometimes called stage 4). I think stage 4 is my arch-enemy sometimes :lol:

Yeah- I definitely need to find a way to get the "right kind" of sleep. My problem is that I wake up in the middle of the night and I feel completely rested, but I still need more sleep because I am exhausted the next day. It's been better recently- I woke up once at 7:00 today, but then I was able to fall back asleep until 11:30 a.m.! I guess I needed sleep :D . I had a terrible dream about psychosis, though :( .

I hope you are still doing okay- I'm working myself up again right now, but posting here is completely distracting me, so that's good :D . My problem now is that I had a paranoid thought and I don't know if I immediately recognized it as paranoid and tried to resist it. I'm telling my psychologist about this, along with my sleep problems. It's the same thing that happened a few days ago with the alien thought- now I'm even more worried :( .

Yeah we are our own worst enemy , it sounds to me that your testing yourself , the 'paranoid thought' is not a paranoid thought , it's anxiety about paranoid thoughts ( I doubt you have actually had a true medical dictionary paranoid thought so you have nothing to gauge it on ) and your mind decided to run with that particular thought as a test and lo & behold you passed the test , I'm not surprised in the slightest that you passed. Stampy I've done this all my life because I never got treatment for it and didn't even know other people felt this way , I thought I was the only one - how silly is that.

I'm OK although my anxiety is on high alert as my Dad ( bio dad ) is visiting tomorrow and I haven't seen him in decades and he didn't even know I was ill , I am pooping in my pants :lol:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:48 am

The best thing that has helped me is the realisation that they are not true paranoid thoughts , the word paranoid has always carried a big stigma with me , as soon I used the correct terminology for whats going on it sort of took away some of the power of the anxious thought and makes it easier to move on , the less I feed the thoughts or give them credence the easier it to get on with something else - sounds easy doesn't it - NOT :lol:
It's no wonder I never got help decades ago as I'd tell the shrinks I was paranoid and would tell them every detail of every worst anxious thought I'd ever had ( but neglected to mention I didn't believe it :roll: ) , it's no wonder they couldn't help me as I was unknowingly giving them incorrect information.

You know what your doing but sometimes you just need a little reassurance

Quote:
How to Tell the Difference Between Paranoia and an Anxiety Disorder

Despite all of these commonalities, these are two very different disorders. Anxiety disorders may cause behaviors that are similar to paranoia, and those with anxiety may even have some "paranoid tendencies" in the sense that they worry about things that may be irrational. But paranoia and anxiety are completely different.

For one thing, someone with severe paranoia often suffers from delusions, and no amount of counseling can cause them to truly believe it's a delusion. Paranoia is a consuming disorder, and there are rarely any breaks. Those with paranoia also tend to perceive danger and conspiracy even more than those with anxiety. Those with anxiety simply worry, and while their minds may go to worst case scenarios, they still know that these are just worries. These conditions may sound like they have similarities, but from a clinical standpoint they are incredibly different conditions.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 7:20 am

To show you how my anxiety works , there was just an item on BBC news with the big headline "Cromer Disorder" , in my mind it was wtf what's Cromer Disorder and why is everyone in Suffolk suffering from it - Zombie Apocalypse Ahhhhhhhhhhhh :P

It was just the way the Police & News decided to report it ( it was just about some crime in a place called Cromer ) , it was a bizarre feeling , have I got Cromer Disorder :lol:

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:25 am

DataB4 wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I used to have my mom with me at every visit, but she's not allowed in anymore as it "hinders my progress :roll: ." Now whenever he makes a joke or asks a question I don't understand I am just sitting there like a weirdo because I don't have someone to "translate" for me :D . I could probably spend about 10 session just going through all the problems I have had in my short little life :lol: .

Is that frustrating? Embarrassing? Some other feeling?

Do you remember or write down any of the jokes or questions to deal with afterward, or do you prefer to just let them go?

It's not really frustrating- it's really just awkward. I don't know what to say/do.

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I am actually doing better today :D . The paranoid thoughts have subsided at least some, and I figured out why I had been having one of my "symptoms." I think my sleep patterns being weird have caused the "confusion" between fantasy and reality (I know the difference, but for some reason I have to constantly ask myself if I believe fantasy is real and vice versa) as well as my existential thoughts and derealization/depersonalization (yup, I get that too!). I feel like when I go back to school I will be more "in reality" and not stuck in my head as much.

(Cheering for you!) :wtg: :star: :idea:
That makes perfect sense. An intrusive thought pops into your head, related to your obsession. You test the thought to gauge your reaction. Exhausted and anxious minds do weird things with intrusive thoughts, so there goes the thought, around and around, the more you worry about it. A calm, rested mind, on the other hand, lets the thought go as inconsequential and unimportant.

It's so easy to slip into disturbing thought patterns when exhausted. I've done it, over and over. It's so freeing when I can say, 'Tired mind playing tricks on me again. None of this matters.' I hope that in time, you'll come to believe that statement more and more, and feel the need to test these disturbing thoughts less and less.

Thank you :D ! I do need to stop worrying about having these thoughts- it's terrible! I'm constantly having disturbing thought patterns, but it definitely gets worse with bad sleep. I honestly don't know what is going on with my sleep patterns- I wake up at the same exact time every night and it's really hard to fall back asleep. The weird thing is, it's the same time I wake up for school- maybe I'm nervous about that or something?

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:35 am

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Yeah we are our own worst enemy , it sounds to me that your testing yourself , the 'paranoid thought' is not a paranoid thought , it's anxiety about paranoid thoughts ( I doubt you have actually had a true medical dictionary paranoid thought so you have nothing to gauge it on ) and your mind decided to run with that particular thought as a test and lo & behold you passed the test , I'm not surprised in the slightest that you passed. Stampy I've done this all my life because I never got treatment for it and didn't even know other people felt this way , I thought I was the only one - how silly is that.

I'm OK although my anxiety is on high alert as my Dad ( bio dad ) is visiting tomorrow and I haven't seen him in decades and he didn't even know I was ill , I am pooping in my pants :lol:

Yeah- I wish my mind would hold on to more pleasant thoughts and memories, but that's not how it works :wink: . Don't worry Ferris- you're still special even if you don't have SFD :lol: .

That's good- I hope the visit goes well and you don't have to be anxious. What do you mean by ill? Are you okay?

I hope you can work around the anxiety :D .

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:39 am

SaveFerris wrote:
The best thing that has helped me is the realisation that they are not true paranoid thoughts , the word paranoid has always carried a big stigma with me , as soon I used the correct terminology for whats going on it sort of took away some of the power of the anxious thought and makes it easier to move on , the less I feed the thoughts or give them credence the easier it to get on with something else - sounds easy doesn't it - NOT :lol:
It's no wonder I never got help decades ago as I'd tell the shrinks I was paranoid and would tell them every detail of every worst anxious thought I'd ever had ( but neglected to mention I didn't believe it :roll: ) , it's no wonder they couldn't help me as I was unknowingly giving them incorrect information.

You know what your doing but sometimes you just need a little reassurance

Quote:
How to Tell the Difference Between Paranoia and an Anxiety Disorder

Despite all of these commonalities, these are two very different disorders. Anxiety disorders may cause behaviors that are similar to paranoia, and those with anxiety may even have some "paranoid tendencies" in the sense that they worry about things that may be irrational. But paranoia and anxiety are completely different.

For one thing, someone with severe paranoia often suffers from delusions, and no amount of counseling can cause them to truly believe it's a delusion. Paranoia is a consuming disorder, and there are rarely any breaks. Those with paranoia also tend to perceive danger and conspiracy even more than those with anxiety. Those with anxiety simply worry, and while their minds may go to worst case scenarios, they still know that these are just worries. These conditions may sound like they have similarities, but from a clinical standpoint they are incredibly different conditions.

Hopefully it's just anxiety :D . I get what you mean- sometimes it's so difficult to explain these thoughts, especially without today's terminology. I really wish you had known it was all anxiety back then. It would have helped a lot. Never in my life did I think I would have OCD, or that my thoughts would be extremely disturbing. It sucks!

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:41 am

SaveFerris wrote:
To show you how my anxiety works , there was just an item on BBC news with the big headline "Cromer Disorder" , in my mind it was wtf what's Cromer Disorder and why is everyone in Suffolk suffering from it - Zombie Apocalypse Ahhhhhhhhhhhh :P

It was just the way the Police & News decided to report it ( it was just about some crime in a place called Cromer ) , it was a bizarre feeling , have I got Cromer Disorder :lol:

That's great :lol: . I do that with almost every disorder too. Even though I have a pretty good idea of what's going on, I'm just like, "What if there is one disorder I haven't read about yet that explains me perfectly?" The thing is, there isn't lol! It's just stupid anxiety.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:43 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Yeah- I wish my mind would hold on to more pleasant thoughts and memories, but that's not how it works :wink: . Don't worry Ferris- you're still special even if you don't have SFD :lol: .

That's good- I hope the visit goes well and you don't have to be anxious. What do you mean by ill? Are you okay?

I hope you can work around the anxiety :D .

I've already flipped out today internally over a series of mistakes , thoughts & anxieties while I was out , it's better now I'm back home. :D

By ill I mean the collective name for all my issues , nothing that I haven't mentioned here :lol:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:44 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

That's great :lol: . I do that with almost every disorder too. Even though I have a pretty good idea of what's going on, I'm just like, "What if there is one disorder I haven't read about yet that explains me perfectly?" The thing is, there isn't lol! It's just stupid anxiety.

So true :D

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:48 am

From Three Men in a Boat (by Jerome K. Jerome)

It is a most extraordinary thing, but I never read a patent medicine advertisement without being impelled to the conclusion that I am suffering from the particular disease therein dealt with in its most virulent form. The diagnosis seems in every case to correspond exactly with all the sensations that I have ever felt.

I remember going to the British Museum one day to read up the treatment for some slight ailment of which I had a touch – hay fever, I fancy it was. I got down the book, and read all I came to read; and then, in an unthinking moment, I idly turned the leaves, and began to indolently study diseases, generally. I forget which was the first distemper I plunged into – some fearful, devastating scourge, I know – and, before I had glanced half down the list of “premonitory symptoms,” it was borne in upon me that I had fairly got it.

I sat for awhile, frozen with horror; and then, in the listlessness of despair, I again turned over the pages. I came to typhoid fever – read the symptoms – discovered that I had typhoid fever, must have had it for months without knowing it – wondered what else I had got; turned up St. Vitus’s Dance – found, as I expected, that I had that too, – began to get interested in my case, and determined to sift it to the bottom, and so started alphabetically – read up ague, and learnt that I was sickening for it, and that the acute stage would commence in about another fortnight. Bright’s disease, I was relieved to find, I had only in a modified form, and, so far as that was concerned, I might live for years. Cholera I had, with severe complications; and diphtheria I seemed to have been born with. I plodded conscientiously through the twenty-six letters, and the only malady I could conclude I had not got was housemaid’s knee.

I felt rather hurt about this at first; it seemed somehow to be a sort of slight. Why hadn’t I got housemaid’s knee? Why this invidious reservation? After a while, however, less grasping feelings prevailed. I reflected that I had every other known malady in the pharmacology, and I grew less selfish, and determined to do without housemaid’s knee. Gout, in its most malignant stage, it would appear, had seized me without my being aware of it; and zymosis I had evidently been suffering with from boyhood. There were no more diseases after zymosis, so I concluded there was nothing else the matter with me.

I sat and pondered. I thought what an interesting case I must be from a medical point of view, what an acquisition I should be to a class! Students would have no need to “walk the hospitals,” if they had me. I was a hospital in myself. All they need do would be to walk round me, and, after that, take their diploma.

Then I wondered how long I had to live. I tried to examine myself. I felt my pulse. I could not at first feel any pulse at all. Then, all of a sudden, it seemed to start off. I pulled out my watch and timed it. I made it a hundred and forty-seven to the minute. I tried to feel my heart. I could not feel my heart. It had stopped beating. I have since been induced to come to the opinion that it must have been there all the time, and must have been beating, but I cannot account for it. I patted myself all over my front, from what I call my waist up to my head, and I went a bit round each side, and a little way up the back. But I could not feel or hear anything. I tried to look at my tongue. I stuck it out as far as ever it would go, and I shut one eye, and tried to examine it with the other. I could only see the tip, and the only thing that I could gain from that was to feel more certain than before that I had scarlet fever.

I had walked into that reading-room a happy, healthy man. I crawled out a decrepit wreck.