Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 11:10 am

I have OCD about mental health—what a catch 22! My mental illness is not severe—I’ve never been in a psychiatric hospital or a treatment facility, and I get up in the morning and go to school. But for some reason I think I have every mental health issue in the book when I really just have anxiety, OCD, and (almost resolved) depression! Does anyone else have this problem?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 12:12 pm

Well, my mental health is pretty bad (I have a bad case of OCD), but I have only been diagnosed with that one mental health condition. Then again, my main obsession for the past year and a half is fearing all sorts of mental illnesses, so that's probably why :roll: !

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Clakker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2017, 12:08 am

Kiki1256 wrote:
I have OCD about mental health—what a catch 22! My mental illness is not severe—I’ve never been in a psychiatric hospital or a treatment facility, and I get up in the morning and go to school. But for some reason I think I have every mental health issue in the book when I really just have anxiety, OCD, and (almost resolved) depression! Does anyone else have this problem?

The impact of anxiety (GAD/SAD) on mental health is underestimated. I have experienced GAD as long as I can remember and the higher the anxiety level the more "cray cray" I feel.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 11:32 pm

I think that I have done it a few times because I don't know enough people to accurately compare myself to.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Nov 2017, 6:07 am

I went through a psychotic depression in my early 20s & I would research lots of mental conditions & thought I had most of em for various reasons. Lots of disorders have overlapping symptoms which made things more confusing. I do have more than a few disorders thou, dyslexia, ADD, autism, anxiety, panic disorder, OCD, & low grade depression & the last 4 are managed well by meds but I believed I had more mental disorders than that including codependency, bipolar, & about 5 personality disorders to name a few.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 6:55 am

People around me acts like I'm exaggerating. My therapist doesn't think so. Don't know what to believe.

Diagnoses so far: OCD, Social Phobia, Mild Schizophrenia, Asperger's Syndrome, Depression/Depressive PD

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 9:01 pm

In my teens when I was deteriorating more rapidly in terms of mental health, throughout the long pauses between school counselling sessions and family problems I began researching mental illness symptoms online, metaphorically a slippery slope to find oneself on!
I became convinced for about a year at 15 that I had bipolar disorder due to the unstable mood swings I had. A few years later my depression was so bad I sort of lost touch with reality in my isolation and began to wonder if I was also schizophrenic.
In hindsight, that's a problem for anyone researching any mystery physical ailment online, too. I think it generates a lot of stress as one discovers more and more dire facts they identify with, which is so like the escalating nature of anxiety.
This said, I would never take your mental health lightly... I believe everyone, even if they have no mental illness diagnosis on record and have a good quality of life can benefit in some way from the occasional session with a psychologist or simple therapist.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 8:37 am

komamanga wrote:
People around me acts like I'm exaggerating. My therapist doesn't think so. Don't know what to believe.

Diagnoses so far: OCD, Social Phobia, Mild Schizophrenia, Asperger's Syndrome, Depression/Depressive PD

That’s probably because your peers only see what you want them to see, and you probably feel more comfortable with your therapist.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 8:45 am

I've questioned it after being told a million of times that it's "all in my head" and that I could easily change my "habits".

But the more I think about it. My actions are almost involuntary with very little control. The things I break and the damage I do to myself and property.... It's extremely hard to not do these things and I've tried countless times. When I'm going through a flurry of emotions and unpleasing thoughts, I tremble, clench my teeth, lose all joy in the things I love and sometimes break something.

I realized that this wasn't something I was doing on purpose. So, I do think my mental health is in a bad state. That it's worse than what people have tried to convince me to believe.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 3:34 am

Kiki1256 wrote:
komamanga wrote:

That’s probably because your peers only see what you want them to see, and you probably feel more comfortable with your therapist.

It might be true. People that're close to me say that I'm very bad at hiding my discomfort despite the fact that I think I'm very good at it. The other day my sister impersonated me and she kept flapping her hand in front of her eyes, I had no idea I did such a thing, at least that often, but they think that I'm acting but don't even know what is an intrusive thought or sensory overload.
Only my father a bit understands me because he's suffered from similar things all his life, he just doesn't accept it as a mental error/difference.

Also I talk with my therapist half in writing. So it's easier for me to express myself.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 1:22 pm

It was the opposite for me. I was searching different disorders online when I was 15 and some of them seemed to describe the problems I have and claimed those disorders. I find out later I was diagnosed with those when I found my medical records. Mom never told me when I would say all the time what was wrong with me and why am I so different. She knew but yet kept saying I am normal when I would say I wanted to be normal.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 2:49 pm

I’m the opposite: if anything, I’ve been in denial about how mentally ill I am. :( I hurt myself & others. I’m still sick, but I’m becoming more aware. I’m working on integrating suppressed/repressed parts of myself & living as a whole human being.