Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Klint
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 8:16 pm

Source: http://www.schizophrenia.org/artist.html

Quote:
What Schizophrenia Does

A 20th-century artist, Louis Wain, who was fascinated by cats, painted these pictures over a period of time in which he developed schizophrenia. The pictures mark progressive stages in the illness and exemplify what it does to the victim's perception.

This reminds me of the "Effects of LSD on Art" study that appeared on the internet not too long ago.
Though instead of the artistic quality changing over time, the style and mood of these paintings are what seem to change most, going from a "cute" to a sort of intimidating feel.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 9:11 pm

Wow! That's incredible! I like the bottom left, reminds me of a fractal.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 9:50 pm

It's interesting how the first thing to really go amiss is the eyes.

But I find the pictures except the first one really disturbing and don't want to look at them anymore.

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2010, 10:13 pm

From that page I navigated to this:

http://www.schizophrenia.org/crackup.html

Which is interesting. And I recently read about schizophrenia and toxoplasmosis and cat feces

http://www.physorg.com/news200164470.html

It also mentions other infections that can affect the brain, including mentioning that a flu infection during pregnancy may have a higher incidence of schizophrenia or autism.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 10:13 pm

Very interesting. The cat painting on the bottom right makes me feel intimidated and uneasy. It almost looks demonic.

Also, is it geeky if I say that the progression of these paintings reminds me of Pokemon evolution?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 11:09 pm

This might be false, as I have read more.

The man was institutionalized and apparently did not date his drawings, so it isn't known if those were actual progressions. Further more, some believe he actually had Asperger's Syndrome and he was merely drawing pictures with a very keen attention to detail to his interest of cats.

From the descriptions of him having a change in personality and delusions however, if these are true, it was likely he did develop schizophrenia but I'm not sure if these paintings are an actual progress into the worsening of such a mental illness.

twisted-transistor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Dec 2010, 12:44 am

IdahoRose wrote:

Also, is it geeky if I say that the progression of these paintings reminds me of Pokemon evolution?

no, not at all. that's a really intriguing way to think about it actually XD

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 1:12 am

The third one looks more like an owl to me :lol:

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 11:52 pm

My uncle was schizophrenic and also a great artist. He made his living painting. I have some of his pictures hanging up in my house. I can't trace any progressive state of his illness through the pictures. They are all very realistic western type of pictures.

ChrisVulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2010, 12:28 am

The bottom right picture makes me think of a fire. I notice that if I focus on an object long enough, it becomes something more abstract. For instance, right now I'm looking at my Christmas tree lights. Each individual light bulb looks like a star settled in the tree. Or like one of my dishes might be perceived more like a geometric form, or the products in the aisle at the grocery store look like globs of different colors.

Watch Doctor Who!

Blint
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 5:22 am

That's actually disdurbing, I don't think I could look deep into it.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 1:21 pm

Who says that exemplifies what it does to perception? Did he claim they were realistic drawings?

Four pictures out of how many are taken as representative, and moreover taken as a representation of what was seen rather than of what was considered pretty?

NOT A DOCTOR

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 5:17 pm

buryuntime wrote:
This might be false, as I have read more.

The man was institutionalized and apparently did not date his drawings, so it isn't known if those were actual progressions. Further more, some believe he actually had Asperger's Syndrome and he was merely drawing pictures with a very keen attention to detail to his interest of cats.

From the descriptions of him having a change in personality and delusions however, if these are true, it was likely he did develop schizophrenia but I'm not sure if these paintings are an actual progress into the worsening of such a mental illness.

IdahoRose wrote:

I'm also rather sceptical in regards to this. However, I find it interesting that the guy may have had Asperger's, since the guy who created Pokémon has Asperger's. It does remind rather much of Pokémon evolution...

I find the second cat, without eyes, cuter than the first one, by the way. In fact, I think the first, "cute" one, looks kind of scary.

...Then again, I'm probably insane. As per what is even a fraction of what is "normal", anyway. In my quite superior mind, I am, however, like every single person out there should be...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2010, 5:29 pm

That's very interesting. Those are pretty groovy pictures. :)

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 11:39 am

I think he was just an abstract artist like I am.

I think perhaps I was subconciously inspired by Louis Wain.

Vicious_Snake
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jan 2011, 8:57 am

Suffice to say, that Schizophrenia is not a mental illness. It is a gift.