Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Katie0405
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Oct 2017, 1:38 am

I was just recently diagnosed with depression. I drink meds everyday and go to therapy once in a while. But my mom is always sending me to massage parlors. It was fun at first, but then it's getting annoying. She says that depression was just stress and the parlour was the way to unwind, but there are times when I just want to stay home and recuperate since talking to people is just tiring. How do I tell her to stop going to massage parlors? It's a big waste of money on a dumb perception of my illness..

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 3:25 am

Katie0405 wrote:
I was just recently diagnosed with depression. I drink meds everyday and go to therapy once in a while. But my mom is always sending me to massage parlors. It was fun at first, but then it's getting annoying. She says that depression was just stress and the parlour was the way to unwind, but there are times when I just want to stay home and recuperate since talking to people is just tiring. How do I tell her to stop going to massage parlors? It's a big waste of money on a dumb perception of my illness..

Why don't you just tell her how you feel?

Chelsie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Oct 2017, 4:19 am

Try asking your doctor for a better alternative. Or have you heard about depression online chat room? These are for people who don't want to do the face-to-face consultation or therapy. Since you are not yet interested to talking to other people, this could be your alternative.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Oct 2017, 3:40 am

It looks like your mother confuses "feeling depressed" with "having depression". She just imagines you feeling bad and tries to help but I think she doesn't get the difference between a bad day and a mental condition.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Katie0405

26 Oct 2017, 12:41 am

I agree that my mom is confused between "being depressed" and "feeling depressed." Whenever I tell her that I feel empty, she just shrugs it off as if I'm making things up. I feel better after taking my medications but I really don't like taking them. Maybe I should also consider that online counseling that was mentioned. I did some research about it and Better Help is a viable option.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 9:02 am

True depression is far different from feeling sad, down or low. It is a full collapse and inability to function and requires medical intervention. I think you need to talk with your mom.