Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 7:44 am

I suffer from explosive emotions and get stressed over small and insignifigant things.

i exercise and eat healthy but experiencing 'fight or flight' on a regular basis can not be good for my body? I don't know what too do i want too live a fufilling life and i do not want too die young because of my explosive moods and anxiety since i am only 22. It could be related too my sensory problems perhaps?

any advice? having these problems is like having a death sentence looming over my head :( Sure my parents say "james we do not want too get you medication or see the doctor because having mental health problems on your record is a rocky road" Okay i get where they are coming from but i'd rather trade my pride for my life too end prematurley.

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jun 2012, 8:32 am

Not treating a mental health issue is much worse than having a record of one that is confidential I would think. You can't just ignore it and hope it goes away. If you feel you need help you should get it, the sooner the better. You don't need your parents permission.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 8:42 am

do u think i might die young?

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jun 2012, 8:49 am

Why do you think you might die young?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 8:51 am

because of my mood swings. it must put stress on my body.

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2012, 9:29 am

The only way I know of that mood swings can shorten a life span is if the lows get low enough to make someone suicidal or a danger to themselves or others. That doesn't sound like it is happening to you.

Keep talking to your parents, family doctor (I sometimes think if you found an excuse to see him, then told him, that it would help with diagnoses for mood swings), or any other adult you trust, especially one that might go to your parents if they won't listen to you.

Look at it this way. You don't like how your life is now, there is a mood stabalizer medicine that might help, and if not you can go off it. As far as the stigma, who needs to know you are taking it? Dr, pharamists, and you and your parents. Your parents already know and the other two shouldn't matter. It doesn't have to be a psychiatrist that prescribes mood stablizers, family doctors can do it.

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jun 2012, 9:32 am

I don't think it will significantly lower your life expectancy, although stress can lead to health problems. I'd be more worried about doing something during a mood swing that puts yourself at risk.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 9:34 am

"I don't think it will significantly lower your life expectancy, although stress can lead to health problems. I'd be more worried about doing something during a mood swing that puts yourself at risk."

what certain things might i be at risk of doing during a mood swing? sometimes my parents would say too me "your a danger too yourself and other people"

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jun 2012, 9:39 am

If the swings make you feel suicidal or engage in risk taking behaviours this could be dangerous for you. Some people during mood swings hurt themselves, or try to fight with people, or drive dangerously, or abuse drugs, etc...

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 9:43 am

someone said too me on yahoo answers when i posted this question about my mood swings
"You're just uptight. Smoke weed, it'll help you realize what's really important in life".

should i take his advice?

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jun 2012, 9:51 am

No! Don't take this advice. Drugs, even weed, are not recommended for people with mood swings, or any mental health issues. It can make mood swings worse. It makes many people anxious instead of relaxed. I would not recommend this.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 10:05 am

my brother usually appears very chilled out and a nice guy when he smokes weed or some types of drugs. when he's not on drugs he's usually quite a moody guy.

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jun 2012, 10:11 am

A side effect of smoking too much weed is being moody when you aren't on it.

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2012, 11:10 am

You're 22 years old, if you feel that you would benefit from some assisstance/medication and would prefer a record of it (which isn't going to follow you round as a fanfare, it is confidential. People say stress accelerates aging, but I think they mean the physical signs rather than how far away from dying they are.
If mood swings are a problem or they make you dangerous (to yourself or anyone else) i'd probably get help, otherwise it probably isn't too bad (although, i'm not you, so how would I know :roll: )

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 11:16 am

in public i do feel angry when my brain is in overload but i don't start fights with people. at home however with my parents i am quite dangerous becuase there not very strict with me and there is no that added 'pressure' too conform or behave myself properly behind closed doors.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 11:24 am

chronic stress can certainly cause heart disease and death. you are right to think of seeking help.

if you got some kind of diagnosis, your health insurance company would also know. it could be barrier to getting life insurance in the future. small price to pay, however, for peace of mind.