Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 12:24 pm

A certain moderator comes to mind...

I was able to read the alphabet at the age of 2, and words at the age of 4, and I do not remember not being able to read. Has anyone else read precociously like that?

AQ: 33

MandiLynn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Sep 2012, 1:51 pm

Yes, I too am a self taught reader. And I do not remember a time when I could not read. I was always an A student. Yet, I could not understand simple math. I was in advanced science/chemistry at early age yet could not even do simple math.. Has anyone else had this experience of being gifted in all areas except math? On my Tabe test I score 12.9 on every subject, the highest score you can possibly get. But in math I test at a 5/6 grade level. I always thought this to be quite strange.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2012, 2:57 pm

I'm hyperlexic. I was reading books by kindergarten. I used to think in text, instead of having an inner voice, I saw what I was going to say typed out.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 5:14 pm

I taught myself to read at age 4, and I believe that I was hyperlexic as a child. I also believe that I am hyperlexic in Spanish, which I became fluent in by self-teaching myself advanced grammar. I also think in text (in addition to having an inner voice), as well as "see" text whenever I hear spoken words. I recently heard this is a type of synesthesia known as "ticker tape synesthesia." I have the "ticker tape" experience with Spanish, too, not just with English. And I have always struggled with math and visual-spatial tasks, which is because I have NVLD. The only math I'm good at is algebra.

Nash: Is there a difference?

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 9:19 pm

Yes, I was an early reader.

Mmuffinn
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Sep 2012, 10:30 pm

Alphabet at 13 months, children's books at 3, adult novels at 5. I don't know that I really understood the content, but I could read the words.

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2012, 1:01 am

I was about six years ahead in my reading levels when I started school, and good at maths and other areas too. Over time the school system slowed me down to a generally above average level, after I sat through class after boring class of repeated material.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 8:57 am

Mmuffinn wrote:
Alphabet at 13 months, children's books at 3, adult novels at 5. I don't know that I really understood the content, but I could read the words.

While I could certainly read the WORDS in an adult novel, probably at age 5 for me as well, I couldn't understand the content until much, MUCH later. Something like 10-11.

AQ: 33

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 5:47 pm

I have aspects of hyperlexia and dyslexia. When I was young it was more hyperlexia related. I knew and could read the alphabet at 18 months old. I knew how to read words at 3 years young. Nothing as impressive as you guys reading adult words at 5 years old. I didn't understand what I was reading. Heck, even now I struggle! My comprehension is very low except when it comes to more straightforward books like psychology. Right now? No more hyperlexia. In fact I am below in reading skills both words and comprehension. I don't know how that happened. In fact in school I was diagnosed as dyslexic. How can this take place in a single person since I believe they are neurologically opposite of each other? Also my math skills are very below my age group. In fact I don't even remember how to do algebra. I can barely do basic math anymore as well.

olliepop96
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Sep 2012, 9:35 pm

I think I am because i learned to read pretty early. Does it count for math?

Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Sep 2012, 3:27 pm

I have been diagnosed as hyperlexic cause I am very bad at spelling cause I dont see the letters when I read, I see the whole word or centense and I read too fast and I cant summarize things. It's like dysslexia but instead of letters jumping around causing you to read slowly, you recognise the whole word instantly and never see the small parts of it so I read alot very fast and then might not remember everything couse it was too much at once.
I also learned to read when I was 3 but thats not the main part of beieng hyperlexic, you can do one without the other.
And also, what does math have anything to do with this? I'm very good at math but I don't see what reading abillity has anything to do with it.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 9:46 am

I knew the alphabet when I was 2 and I could read when I was 3,5. But that doesn't necessarily mean I'm hyperlexic, right?

MandiLynn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Sep 2012, 10:04 am

I do not think it has anything to do with math. I was just adding how bad at math I am in comparison to how well and how early I read. :) I agree, I dont believe it has anything to do with math.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 10:27 am

According to my Mom, I started learning to read when as a kid I was fascinated with trucks and started sounding out the model names on the back of them, at which point I picked up reading shortly after. Once when left with a babysitter they didn't believe my Mom when she told them I loved to read, they didn't think I was old enough to be reading at all, but I proved them wrong :P

Not exactly sure what age this was at, but it was before pre-school. When I was enrolled in pre-school at 4, I was apparently a trouble-maker and constantly disrupting class because according to the teacher I already knew everything they were trying to teach and would go off and do my own thing. So rather then actually challenge me, they ended up making me 'Teachers Helper' just to keep my busy cleaning up after the other kids. My Mom admits now that she should have just moved me up to Kindergarten right then since I was ready for it early.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 1:15 pm

Yep. Verbal IQ is 130 or so, tested this year.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 3:36 pm

I don't know if I qualify as hyperlexic but it is entirely possible. I started reading *very* young and was *well* ahead of my peers at school as far as reading was concerned. At age 7ish when my peers were reading books ~50 pages long I was reading Lord of the Rings.