Page 5 of 62 [ 980 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 62  Next

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 6:09 pm

I hate those creepy or impending-doom feelings and obsessive thoughts too. Today, my obsessions are mostly about everyday concerns blown out of proportion, but it hasn't always been like that.

Over the years, I've been meditating, especially after exercise or when I'm tired, since it works better. Some of that awareness has transferred to other parts of my life.

My best bet is, if at all possible, to check in with myself a lot, focus on the subtleties of how I'm feeling, and use my imagination: imagine myself relaxing each muscle or floating in water or whatever, any sensation to focus away from thoughts. That practice has given me a better shot at stopping the worst obsessive chains of thought before they cause a panic attack.

Through it all, I keep thinking, "These thoughts and feelings can't hurt me," or "My feelings are normal. It's fear, in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm safe."

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 6:16 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
You wouldn't have liked Levittown when it was first built.

Every house in Levittown looked almost identical at first.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have. It's not just houses, though, it happened when I was looking at myself in the mirror as well. It just seems like paranoia :( .

Yep it sounds exactly like my old definition of paranoia , but I know now it's just anxiety. I don't know why but knowing that it was not paranoia made feel a lot better and put things in perspective , as paranoia is one of the things linked to 'you-know -what'

Thank you so much, Ferris. I'm just having a really hard time because I'm supposed to be enjoying myself but I am hating myself for these weird feelings and thoughts. You-know-what is what I calk it when I get too scared lol :D . You're truly the best Ferrapist here :D !

My bad , I though "you-know-what" actually meant something specific ( that we talked about before ) that you didn't want to speak aloud like Voldemort :lol:
P.s. My GF told me to tell you you at your age you are at one of the most trickiest points of being a girl , as you get older it get easier - or so she said :)

You are right by the way :D (I worded my post wrong)- you-know-what is something specific (schizophrenia). It is like Voldemort when it comes to speaking it sometimes lol! Tell your girlfriend I thank her so much for her advice, but if I was a "normal" teenager, this would be a breeze lol! OCD and ASD are what really get me down! I hope it gets easier as I get older, though :D . I hope you are doing okay :D .

My GF was not a normal teenager :lol: , I highly suspect ASD ( worse traits than me in some areas ). What she wanted to say was 13 is a difficult age for most , you just have added issues and worries.
As for Voldemort :lol: , you have far too much insight for it to be likely IMO
I was 19 when I first had feelings about Voldemort and it was the scariest time of my life , I've never been more frightened , nothing has scared me more and it still bugs me today. I had no internet back then so I just wrote myself off. What I'm saying is I feel your pain and think I know what your going through, stay strong Stampy , I wish I'd had your insight when I was 19 , it would of changed my life :roll:

I'd never even heard of Voldemort when I was 13 so would of never associated any thing I felt to it.

Thank you both for your advice. Voldemort is like the scariest thing in the world. I honestly can't imagine what it would have been like not knowing it was just some stupid obsessive compulsive disorder. OCD is so much more than what you would expect. It literally creates symptoms of conditions you fear/don't even have, and the worst part is that these symptoms just worry you more. I was so stupid looking it up online, but stuff happens, I guess. I really wish you had had the information about OCD causing a fear of Voldemort when you were 19. I know and feel the pain you went through, believe me. It was horrific for a while, but it's slowly been getting better. Stay strong as well Ferris! I still feel terrible that you didn't have access to this kind of information back then. I'm so sorry :cry: .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 6:17 pm

DataB4 wrote:
I hate those creepy or impending-doom feelings and obsessive thoughts too. Today, my obsessions are mostly about everyday concerns blown out of proportion, but it hasn't always been like that.

Over the years, I've been meditating, especially after exercise or when I'm tired, since it works better. Some of that awareness has transferred to other parts of my life.

My best bet is, if at all possible, to check in with myself a lot, focus on the subtleties of how I'm feeling, and use my imagination: imagine myself relaxing each muscle or floating in water or whatever, any sensation to focus away from thoughts. That practice has given me a better shot at stopping the worst obsessive chains of thought before they cause a panic attack.

Through it all, I keep thinking, "These thoughts and feelings can't hurt me," or "My feelings are normal. It's fear, in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm safe."

Thank you so much! This really is going to help a lot :D . I'm so sorry you have to go through this as well- it scares me so much :( .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 6:20 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
It also didn't help me that when I spoke to Shrinks , I said things like , I was paranoid all the time , the TV talks to me , the world is leaving messages for me. On reflection it's no wonder I got treated the way I did.
I was not paranoid , TV's did not talk to me and the world was not leaving messages , I just didn't have the correct terminology or was unable to explain myself fully back then. :roll:

Yeah- I get thoughts like that all the time. I try so hard to resist them and tell myself I don't believe that, but it is so draining trying to resist your own thoughts. I hate these thoughts so much, but the good thing is I don't actually believe them whatsoever. I wish there was more stuff out there on "Schiz OCD"- it often ends up getting misdiagnosed as psychosis because of ignorant therapists.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 6:32 pm

Hi Stampy,

Resisting my thoughts feels like I'm fighting with myself, which just leads to anger and/or more anxiety. When I'm actually able to redirect my attention, especially toward focusing on something physical or sensory, I feel more peaceful in a shorter time.

If someone you trust tells you that you're healthy/strong/whatever, does that ever help you?

You mentioned you've been to therapy. What sorts of strategies have and haven't worked for you?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 7:42 pm

DataB4 wrote:
Hi Stampy,

Resisting my thoughts feels like I'm fighting with myself, which just leads to anger and/or more anxiety. When I'm actually able to redirect my attention, especially toward focusing on something physical or sensory, I feel more peaceful in a shorter time.

If someone you trust tells you that you're healthy/strong/whatever, does that ever help you?

You mentioned you've been to therapy. What sorts of strategies have and haven't worked for you?

I can totally relate. I just get more anxious and mad at myself until I snap and take it out on others. I also get depressed, but the depression lifts as soon as the obsession stops. I am constantly telling myself I'm ill/unhealthy, so somebody telling me I'm healthy would really help :D . I've been to therapy and I am still currently in it. Mindfulness techniques never worked for me, but distracting sometimes does. To be honest, I can resist the compulsion, but then I feel so horrible for months on end and I would rather just do the compulsion and not feel so terribly sad and weak anymore. It really hurts. I'm doing a little better at the moment, I would say, but I'm nowhere near "normal." Thanks for posting and giving me encouragement, by the way :D . It helps to know I'm not alone.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 8:48 pm

Mindfulness techniques didn't work for me either when I was 13. I'd try, maybe feel a tiny fraction better, and get more frustrated. It took time, and trying different variations, using the techniques at different times, and especially getting used to doing them while I was less anxious. They help, and finding new thoughts I can believe, and lots of breathing, and plenty of distractions and interests. Laughing at the irrationality helps too, especially when I can laugh with someone. After all this time, I still have to remind myself of all these things so I beat myself up less.

You're not alone with your obsessions and compulsions. I started finding some solace in talking to other people who deal with this, when I was about 17, online. I'm glad you're getting to do that a lot sooner.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 8:56 pm

Does anyone's OCD cause shutdowns , meltdowns or sensory issues?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:10 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

Meltdowns: check!
Shutdowns: check! (Or some version of a shutdown)
Sensory Issues: no, that's my autism :D ! Stress makes them get worse, though.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:21 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

I shutdown completely, when overexposed to sensory input that is problematic for me. I am more prone to shutting down, than melting down, but, in recent weeks Ive melted down on a few occasions. All of the above, if not handled timely and efficiently, will inevitably lead to experiencing OCD symptoms. <--only speaking for myself. Can be different for different people.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:27 pm

Britte wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

I shutdown completely, when overexposed to sensory input that is problematic for me. I am more prone to shutting down, than melting down, but, in recent weeks Ive melted down on a few occasions. All of the above, if not handled timely and efficiently, will inevitably lead to experiencing OCD symptoms. <--only speaking for myself. Can be different for different people.

Yup! I find a lot of my meltdowns are triggered more by sensory difficulties and needing routine and repetitive behavior, but stress can definitely cause them as well. :D

How are you today? :D

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:35 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Britte wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Yup! I find a lot of my meltdowns are triggered more by sensory difficulties and needing routine and repetitive behavior, but stress can definitely cause them as well. :D

Stress/anxiety can absolutely trigger (and perpetuate) mine, too. Sorry, I havent read through the thread in quite sometime, and it appears there's been quite a bit of activity. Will have a look-see, soon. Just arrived and came directly to this thread.

Thank you for asking, SSF. Assuming you want the real answer, I had a very good, productive day, today. Nervous as heck since arriving here, however. All good, though. I've acquired more tools in recent days. Im looking at being on the forum, as exposure therapy. : ) How are you doing, SSF? I hope very well! :D

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:41 pm

Britte wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Britte wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Stress/anxiety can absolutely trigger (and perpetuate) mine, too. Sorry, I havent read through the thread in quite sometime, and it appears there's been quite a bit of activity. Will have a look-see, soon. Just arrived and came directly to this thread.

Thank you for asking, SSF. Assuming you want the real answer, I had a very good, productive day, today. Nervous as heck since arriving here, however. All good, though. I've acquired more tools in recent days. Im looking at being on the forum, as exposure therapy. : ) How are you doing, SSF? I hope very well! :D

Please don't push yourself too much with your exposure therapy. I tried that once and it got worse. I just doing want you having horrific anxiety from reading things on Wrongplanet. Take it slow, for your own health, please! :D

I'm glad you are doing well :D . I am doing pretty good at the moment as well! I have been able to post a lot more in the General Autism Discussion today, which was nice.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 10:07 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Britte wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Britte wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Please don't push yourself too much with your exposure therapy. I tried that once and it got worse. I just doing want you having horrific anxiety from reading things on Wrongplanet. Take it slow, for your own health, please! :D

I'm glad you are doing well :D . I am doing pretty good at the moment as well! I have been able to post a lot more in the General Autism Discussion today, which was nice.

Thank you for your concern for me. It means a lot. I made a decission, earlier today, to avoid certain areas and types of discussions, here. I bookmarked on my laptop (not on WP), the discussions I am interested in and where I feel the least anxious. I am also using avoidance strategies, to combat my stress. But, if I refrain from coming here, I may lose my ability/courage to return in the future, as it can be extremely, anxiety provoking for me, on occasion. I have Identified what it is, now, that is making me anxious, and I will do my best to curb my anxiety, here. I do take breaks from the forum, when needed, so, you can rest assured, I will take good care of myself/my well-being, SSF. :) Thank you very much, again, for your concern! :) I appreciate it/you, very much!

So glad to hear that you are doing well, too, and that you've been posting more! :D

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 10:14 pm

Britte wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Britte wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Britte wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Thank you for your concern forme. It means a lot. I made a decission, earlier today, to avoid certain areas and types of discussions, here. I bookmarked on my laptop (not on WP), the discussions I am interested in and where I feel the least amount of stress. I am also using avoidance strategies, to combat my stress. But, if I refrain from coming here, I may lose my ability/courage to return in the future, as it can be extremely, anxiety provoking for me, on occasion. I have Identified what it is, now, that is making me anxious, and I will do my best to curb my anxiety, here. I do take breaks from the forum, when needed, so, you can rest assured, I will take good care of myself/my well-being, SSF. :) Thank you very much, again, for your concern! :) I appreciate it/you, very much!

No problem! I get what you mean more now. I'm glad you have worked out a way to still be able to post and check certain forums whilst still having fun in other ones. It's good to have exposure, but not too much to the point where it gets overloading, in my opinion as well. I have full confidence that you can do this! :D

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 7:09 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Meltdowns: check!
Shutdowns: check! (Or some version of a shutdown)
Sensory Issues: no, that's my autism :D ! Stress makes them get worse, though.

Britte wrote:

Thanks for you answers , I still feel like a child when it comes to self awareness , I am socially naive and didn't even realise it. I've learned so much about myself in the last year. I've just lumped all my issues into one big label and never really questioned it , I just accepted that I was a weirdo and would always struggle. I have always been too scared to actually investigate what is actually wrong with me.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard