Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 5:07 pm

What is OCD?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 5:19 pm

In a simple explanation Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is a common mental health condition in which a person has obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviours.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 6:12 pm

Obsessive: Your thoughts get stuck on things that cause you anxiety
Compulsive: You do physical or mental actions to relieve that anxiety
Disorder: your obsessions and compulsions take up more than 1 hour each day, or are clearly excessive

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:15 pm

OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder) is a disconnect between certain parts of the brain. We all have a part of the brain known as the caudate nucleus, which basically acts as a "thought sorter." It tells us which thoughts to pay attention to and which thoughts are "trash" , or should be thrown away. Another vital part of the brain that plays a part in OCD is the basal ganglia. In most people's brains, the frontal lobe and the basal ganglia "interact" with each other.

For example, if you were to have a thought that you may have forgotten to turn the oven off, you would check the oven, and if it was turned off, the frontal lobe would signal the basal ganglia that the oven had been turned off. In OCD, this connection is damaged. So the person with OCD will check the oven, but then they will have to check it again. And again. And again until the anxiety is stopped, but that would only be for a while until you performed the next compulsion, or repetitive act done to rid the anxiety that you feel. This is because the frontal lobe attempts to signal the basal ganglia that you have turned the oven off, but it doesn't get the "message."

OCD can come in many different forms, such as checking, contamination fears, magical thinking, scrupulosity, morally "wrong" thoughts, hoarding, ruminations/intrusive thoughts, body focused obsessions, hypochondria, and symmetry/order. There are a lot of acronyms to describe these types of OCD, such as ROCD, POCD, SOCD, and HOCD.

In OCD, the sufferer has obsessions (thoughts that cause anxiety/discomfort). In order to relieve the obsession, they must perform a compulsion, since the basal ganglia never gets the signal from the frontal lobe that everything is okay.

Sometimes OCD can actually create false, or pseudo-symptoms. This is most common in hypochondria, when the person is obsessed with getting a certain health problem. For example, if someone with OCD was afraid of getting sick, they might wash their hands a lot because their brain perceives that there is something dirty on their hands. There isn't, but they have to keep washing them because the basal ganglia doesn't get the message that their hands are clean. To them, it feels like they need to wash their hands because there is something on them, even though they already washed their hands multiple times already.

One type of OCD that isn't talked about a lot is "Pure-O" OCD, where the person has more mental than physical compulsions. They might need to think a certain thought or resist a certain thought in order to relieve the anxiety caused by obsessions.

Sorry for the novel :D . I hope this helps make more sense of OCD, since it is hard to understand sometimes!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:20 pm

Novels are great if they are informative....like your "novel."

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Thank you :D !

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:54 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

That was awesome Stampy , I have now come to the conclusion that my my basal ganglia is just a little bit deaf :lol:

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 9:02 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

That was awesome Stampy , I have now come to the conclusion that my my basal ganglia is just a little bit deaf :lol:

Of course! The frontal lobe just needs to scream a little louder :lol: . It's totally the frontal lobe's fault (sarcasm) :D .

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 9:17 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Of course! The frontal lobe just needs to scream a little louder :lol: . It's totally the frontal lobe's fault (sarcasm) :D .

You could have a point I could be blaming the wrong part :lol:

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 9:20 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Or it could be the caudate nucleus. You never know :lol: ! All I know is that something's messed up!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 9:24 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Or it could be the caudate nucleus. You never know :lol: ! All I know is that something's messed up!

Are you trying to make me feel better :lol: [sarcasm]

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 9:27 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

If it makes you feel any better I'm screwed up too :lol: !

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 9:30 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Your not screwed up , your just different , like all the best things in life , trust me.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 9:36 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Your not screwed up , your just different , like all the best things in life , trust me.

Cause OCD is like the best things in life :lol: (sorry, I had to :D ).

Thank you Ferris- that means you're not screwed up either! We're the same person, remember :D (joking)?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 9:46 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Thank you Ferris- that means you're not screwed up either! We're the same person, remember :D (joking)?

There's no arguing with that logic :lol:

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 9:48 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

There's no arguing with that logic :lol:

It's perfect! You can't get around that hehe :D .