How Male or Female Would You Consider Yourself?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 3:32 pm

I think it’s interesting that gender is a spectrum. I would consider myself 70-80 percent female, not girly but definitely feminine. I look and dress like a girl but I have an action-oriented personality that’s more typical of guys.

By the way, I hope it’s OK that I’m straight and I’m posting here. I’m an ally.

Trashikawa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2017, 10:35 pm

Of course it's okay for you to post.

I wanna touch on the issue I have with trying to put a number or percentage on gender identity or expression. Gender isn't a line that stretches from point A (0%/masculinity) to point B (100%/femininity).

The way that helps me visualize it is as an actual colour spectrum, rather than a gradient; meaning, it's not just the shades of purple between blue (man) and pink (woman), it's also yellow, green, orange, and anything in between or outside of that.

To answer your question: I'm fully and completely male. There's no dissonance between my biological sex and my own internal perception of self. However, I'm quite feminine in appearance, behavior, and expression - for example, I'm hyperempathetic rather than hypoempathetic, I'm skinny rather than muscled, I have a higher pitched voice, and I wear makeup when the mood strikes.

It's just so difficult to actually put a concrete value on my ratio of masculinity:femininity that I prefer to identify as a queer guy rather than try to think of labels to express myself better. It seems like a lot of wasted effort to me to force myself into boxes just so other people can pretend they understand me. But that's my 2 cents.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 10:41 pm

^Yep. I'm 100% female. It doesn't mean I fit all female stereotypes to a tee; it just means I don't identify as anything else.

Cratilla
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Nov 2017, 8:37 am

I think it's important to distinguish between male/female (physical sex) and masculine/feminine (gender roles, presentation, and expression).

I.e. a female mechanic is no less female and no less a woman, due to her masculine career choice!

My body is mixed in physical sex characteristics.

I consider myself to be and live as male.

I'm more masculine than feminine.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 10:00 pm

50/50 I believe. I am legally genderless/X, not male or female, my body is physically neither, and basically anything heavily gendered bothers me, whether it's heavily masculine or heavily feminine. I dress in-between, in clothing that either a man or a woman could wear without looking odd. I am gendered by others both ways - some people see a male and call me "he," some see a female and call me "she." I'm ok with this.
In terms of personality I have a mix too - I have a fair few traditionally "feminine" interests (art journalling, cooking, writing) but also a fair few traditionally "masculine" interests (bodybuilding, motorbikes, tattoos).
I tend to be direct, but not aggressive. I'm an in-between creature.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Nov 2017, 2:44 am

Cratilla wrote:
I think it's important to distinguish between male/female (physical sex) and masculine/feminine (gender roles, presentation, and expression).

I.e. a female mechanic is no less female and no less a woman, due to her masculine career choice!

This!
I hate it when some guys say "a man with vagina" about ones like me. It is deprecating. First, it's not about vagina. It's about uterus. The ability to host a new being of my species inside me, give it a birth, breastfeed it - what else makes an adult mammal female? I'm capable of this, I did it, I'm doing my best to be a good mother. Biology defined my sex, I don't mind, I am female. Period (oh well...).

The gender issue is more tricky. I see no reason why my reproductive abilities should dictate my behavior outside reproduction. I know all this hormone stuff, feel it but still see no reason why should it make me care for looks more or dislike programming. I just don't buy this part.
Or I can say, biologically I am female, mentally I am myself. Not very gendered if you need a label.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 2:55 pm

Cratilla wrote:

My body is mixed in physical sex characteristics.

I consider myself to be and live as male.

I'm more masculine than feminine.

Thank you for educating me. To put it more clearly, I am 100% female with an approximately 75% feminine personality.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 10:14 pm

I don't feel like I'm anything.
My interests are mixed, but lean towards the masculine.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2017, 3:31 am

I feel like I stand somewhere in between. Or rather feel like I'm neither male or female. When I was a teenager I started questioning whether or not I was transgender, because I didn't fit in with the girls. But as it turns out, I don't fit in with the boys either. The problem had nothing to do with my body. Except for periods and boobs being in the way all the time, I don't mind it being female. I just consider it to be a tool, or means of transportation, much more than a representation of myself.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 11:58 am

100% female

But I defecate on gender every day of my life 8)

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 12:01 pm

magz wrote:
Cratilla wrote:

This!
I hate it when some guys say "a man with vagina" about ones like me. It is deprecating. First, it's not about vagina. It's about uterus. The ability to host a new being of my species inside me, give it a birth, breastfeed it - what else makes an adult mammal female? I'm capable of this, I did it, I'm doing my best to be a good mother. Biology defined my sex, I don't mind, I am female. Period (oh well...).

The gender issue is more tricky. I see no reason why my reproductive abilities should dictate my behavior outside reproduction. I know all this hormone stuff, feel it but still see no reason why should it make me care for looks more or dislike programming. I just don't buy this part.
Or I can say, biologically I am female, mentally I am myself. Not very gendered if you need a label.

Good for you. I like the way you think.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 10:00 pm

Male and female are sexes and sex is not a spectrum, so your question doesn't even make sense. Femininity has no inherent relation to the female sex. You are mixing up sex and gender roles.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 8:16 am

^ If you read the original post, she wrote that gender is a spectrum. Not sex. You're confusing what she wrote. "Male" and "female" are also used to refer to the gender roles of those labels, not just a narrower reference to genitalia or anatomy.
And that's not even getting into the tired old rant about genderqueer and intersex people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 9:23 am

I'm 100% male. I have both "masculine" and "feminine" imterests.

I feel more like a "person" than a "man" usually--but there are times when I feel "male."

I don't feel my vulnerability is "female." It's part of being a "person."

"Feminine" is frequently strong--like in the "maternal instinct."

caffeinekid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2017, 9:41 am

Yes as said above I'm 100% male, physically.

BUT emotionally and mentally it's a lot closer to 50/50 I think.

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2017, 6:00 pm

I consider myself 100% female, although I do have some "masculine" mannerisms, clothing and interests.