Are there any asexual and aromantic people here who are inte

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2018, 3:51 pm

Are there any asexual and aromantic people here who are interested in having platonic relationships with the opposite sex? And if so, would you say that you are straight?

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 4:26 am

Ace and Gray-Ro here... mostly interested in other non-binary folx if I were to pursue a platonic relationship... Partially because I feel like I could relate with them better. So I consider myself queer.

If I were binary, and had platonic interest in opposite binary gender... then yes I would consider myself "straight"... I might still also kind of consider myself under the queer umbrella, but probably much less so than I do in my current identification. Although I dunno if there are degrees of being under an umbrella. (funny picture in my mind of someone just standing under the edge of an umbrella still getting wet)

I guess the point is... if you associate with the feelings you're asking about then you can call yourself straight based on your description, but you could also consider yourself part of the LGBTQIA community because of the A's

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 9:14 am

I am genderqueer but because I am AFAB or have a "estrogen dominated" body the outside world pegs me as a cishet female when in reality I am asexual, genderqueer and androromantic.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2018, 1:16 pm

I am asexual and into platonic relationships.

Also, people who use the term "cishet" tend to be very toxic.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 6:23 am

Aniihya wrote:

It's my experience that when people are reactive to SJWish/LGBT words like that they tend to be toxic as well. Generally those of us who identify somewhat with the SJW movement and those who oppose us are both likely to argue quite a bit. It's only the ones who don't go there in either way that are the innoxious ones. Welcome to the toxic club! :) I am happy to have you here and think your point of view is valid despite the fact that I disagree with about 35% of what you say. Mainly because I find myself agreeing with you about 65% of the time ♥

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 6:47 am

Well I tend to come from a rather "post-gender" environment. My circle of friends and acquintances, rarely or never really care about their own gender identities, even though many do express themselves as male or female in appearance. But generally t-shirt and jeans is like the most gender neutral clothing out there. It has manifested itself as popular among men and women mostly of younger generations.

But mostly I have seen people who use cishet (cis-hetero) in a very negative and hateful context.

As a quaker I believe in reconciliation and not hate. But whoever believe you must adopt a worldview to reconcile, does not believe in reconciliation but prefers assimilation, which is wrong.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 6:22 pm

Aniihya wrote:
Well I tend to come from a rather "post-gender" environment. My circle of friends and acquintances, rarely or never really care about their own gender identities, even though many do express themselves as male or female in appearance. But generally t-shirt and jeans is like the most gender neutral clothing out there. It has manifested itself as popular among men and women mostly of younger generations.

But mostly I have seen people who use cishet (cis-hetero) in a very negative and hateful context.

As a quaker I believe in reconciliation and not hate. But whoever believe you must adopt a worldview to reconcile, does not believe in reconciliation but prefers assimilation, which is wrong.

I've had conversations where cishet is simply a descriptor. An easy way to describe folx who are not part of a GSM (Gender and Sexual Minorities). I look at the word as similar to my use of Allistic or Allosexual. Do you see those terms also relating to personality types that you find toxic? (genuine question, not sarcasm). Although now that I think about it you did say that it's the type of people who would say the word, and not necessarily the use of the word that's toxic so maybe it doesn't correlate. "Amatonormativity" might be a better comparison.

I didn't know that quakers were still a thing. That's cool that there seems to be a preference for peaceful resolution (based on 20 seconds of reading). I like that ♥ I am not sure that I understand the details of reconciliation vs assimilation but maybe I'll understand more if I do some reading.

Anthracite_Impreza
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2018, 6:43 pm

I am asexual, aromantic and have both male and female friends (as I'm agender I have no traditional "opposite gender").

valholla
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jun 2018, 9:32 pm

I'm aromantic and probably asexual though I'm less sure about the asexual part since I don't know how much my Aspergers and touch aversion play a role in my sexual identity. I am pretty confident I'm aromantic though so whenever I think of a relationship it's usually platonic, kind of like a best friends who live together and plan their lives around each other kind of thing.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2018, 9:57 pm

I just told my female BF I mostly feel this way, although over a LONG time I've developed an attraction to her, so in general I'm straight but not narrow, most girls I ever go anywhere with are bi.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2018, 1:50 pm

Aniihya wrote:

Wow I totally forgot about this topic. I tend to be straightforward and direct with short pause between exchanges :P Maybe I should say "cis hetero" instead to avoid trouble but "cishet" does seem to roll off the tongue quicker.