I don't understand lgbtq or whatever it is

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sr71
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2024, 1:14 pm

If anyone is offended by my thoughts then I apologise it is not my intention.

I don't understand the politics and flag-waving about gender and sexuality. I am no more proud of my sexuality than I am ashamed of my sexuality both are just on a spectrum just like many other aspects of my life.
Perhaps it is my age but so many people seem to be looking for a reason to be offended. I don't care what gender or sexuality someone is.
Didn't someone say and apologise for getting the quote slightly wrong "You should judge someone by the content of their character not the colour of their skin"
Surely the same should apply to gender and sexuality. The whole debate seems so toxic that we are afraid to talk openly and perhaps miss the point. I can only speak for myself I want to be loved for being unique and whatever the spark is in my soul that someone sees and is attracted to. I identify as male, bisexual ish and am in a heterosexual marriage but if the spark I saw in my wife I had found in a male partner I would have a husband instead of a wife.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 2:12 pm

The idea is for politicians to gain votes by spreading fear among the voters.
A common tactic is to suggest that LGBTQ types will groom innocent young people for deviant purposes.
The obvious irony is that convicted sexual offenders are often people seen as trustworthy.
Who is more dangerous to a young boy? A drag queen in a library or a pastor in a church?

Last edited by BTDT on 18 Jan 2024, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 3:17 pm

Fair enough, OP.

I like the flag waving, personally. Sometimes it can be a little over the top but I find a sense of comfort in it.

When I was a teenager, coming out would have been social suicide. So, for the most part I didn't. I tried my best to fit in. Unfortunately, I told someone and someone else overheard one day. So I was attacked. Rather violently.

I remember turning on the TV and seeing people debate marriage equality. Seeing people compare it to marrying a dog or a horse or they would frantically say that it was the end of the world. I remember having to debate it in class and pretend to have no emotional attachment to the subject at all. How teachers and students alike would address the room as if it were a given that we were all straight. How people would talk as if people that aren't straight were just a hypothetical other.

There can be a loneliness to it, I find. I remember when I met a former friend. He's gay. It was great to finally have someone I could talk to about subjects such as coming out, internalised homophobia and that feeling of being alone in your experiences. He understood me. I was safe in talking to him. That meant the world at the time.

I met a lot more LGBT people in University. I finally felt a sense of belonging and it was just nice to be able to talk about crushes and the like without being treated differently. I could just exist without having to be careful of my words all the time. Sometimes I smile at the fact that I'm able to do that now. Teenage me never would have dared to dream of it.

Being LGBT doesn't solely define me. However, I find it to be a significant part. I think it's fine though if you don't find yourself connecting with being a part of the community. Some people who fit into the acronym don't really connect with it or consider themselves to be LGBT which is fair enough.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 3:25 pm

It's supposed to be a term that groups together various, non-conforming genders and sexualities and the flags and such represent who/what people are under that umbrella.

Many LGBTQ+ folk encounter discrimination in various ways which is why some LGBTQ+ folk are flag wavers - they don't want to burden the shame put onto them by society, and can become attached to LGBTQ+ symbols such as flags because of this.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 3:58 pm

These concepts confounded me..as I grew ... and never quite understood differentiating humans ,too much by gender colour,ethnicity.etc. Unless differentiating a distructive person or decietful .
Perhaps in the specialty field of baby making, might be a thing too.(wonderments about test tube babies) .
But there is a different but important frame of reference. ( Only different,not irrevolent) :|
As written above the content of their soul, and perhaps level of integrity ,perhaps should be a better deciding context for a person . imho .. ViVa la differance ..! All types to make up a world . And differing veiws carry different levels of contextual information. Without diversity in Points of Veiws .. potential loss of Information can occur . And most all
Information can apply as reference info. (The world is full of things that are useful that were created as a result of accidental discoveries .). Regardless of diversity ,imho :mrgreen:

where ever you go ,there you are

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 4:49 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-25495315
Computer pioneer and codebreaker Alan Turing has been given a posthumous royal pardon.

It addresses his 1952 conviction for gross indecency following which he was chemically castrated.

He had been arrested after having an affair with a 19-year-old Manchester man.

The conviction meant he lost his security clearance and had to stop the code-cracking work that had proved vital to the Allies in World War Two.

The pardon was granted under the Royal Prerogative of Mercy after a request by Justice Minister Chris Grayling.
https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknot ... pound-note
We first issued our £50 on 23 June 2021. It features the scientist Alan Turing.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 7:01 pm

When society spends decades shaming people for certain sexualities, pride is a reaction against that, firmly stating there's nothing to be ashamed of at all.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 7:25 pm

sr71 wrote:
If anyone is offended by my thoughts then I apologise it is not my intention.

I don't understand the politics and flag-waving about gender and sexuality. I am no more proud of my sexuality than I am ashamed of my sexuality both are just on a spectrum just like many other aspects of my life.
Perhaps it is my age but so many people seem to be looking for a reason to be offended. I don't care what gender or sexuality someone is.
Didn't someone say and apologise for getting the quote slightly wrong "You should judge someone by the content of their character not the colour of their skin"
Surely the same should apply to gender and sexuality. The whole debate seems so toxic that we are afraid to talk openly and perhaps miss the point. I can only speak for myself I want to be loved for being unique and whatever the spark is in my soul that someone sees and is attracted to. I identify as male, bisexual ish and am in a heterosexual marriage but if the spark I saw in my wife I had found in a male partner I would have a husband instead of a wife.

They have faced discrimination for a long time and even to this day, so I think that is a big part of it. It wouldn't matter what sexuality someone is if society hadn't made such a big deal about it before. You don't care what sexuality someone has, I don't care either....but there are still a lot of people that do care and seem offended that homosexual people exist.

It doesn't make sense to me since I don't really see how it matters... but in some countries, they still even execute people for being gay, so whether or not it matters to me or you, there are still enough people it matters to enough to harm LGBTQ people. So hence why there are acceptance movements and flag waving about it.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 7:48 pm

"Flag waving", Pride, etc exists as a direct answer to decades of oppression and hate. Homosexual sex used to be punishable by law, and we used to be considered mentally ill. People used to be arrested for going to gay bars.

We have Pride and flags bc we are telling those who hate us that we exist and they can't stop us.

The fight is far from over. Right now trans people are the primary target. They are literally, as we speak, trying to pass bills that ban adult transition.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 8:00 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
You don't care what sexuality someone has, I don't care either....but there are still a lot of people that do care and seem offended that homosexual people exist.

It doesn't make sense to me since I don't really see how it matters... but in some countries, they still even execute people for being gay, so whether or not it matters to me or you, there are still enough people it matters to enough to harm LGBTQ people. So hence why there are acceptance movements and flag waving about it.

Yep. If you haven't been actively "out" as an LGBTQ person, then it's harder to see.

I didn't think it was a big deal until I came out.

People have Big Feelings about the gay thing. Usually religious people. Even worse if you're also religious and gay.

Uganda recently, iirc, moved to make identity with the LGBTQ punishable by death penalty. I saw a lot of "Christians" on Twitter praising this. Mad mad world.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 8:07 pm

colliegrace wrote:
Even worse if you're also religious and gay.

That's gotta be awkward.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 11:23 am

Yeah, not great. I’m still in the closet about my pansexuality and will probably remain so. I’d do more flag waving/activism if I could.

In my former religious community, suicide was a problem.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 1:21 pm

There are lot of churches that at least on the face of them, advertise as being LGBTQ+ friendly nowadays. Results may vary whether this is the case in practice, however.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 1:26 pm

It is lovely that on the face of them, many Churches have opened their doors for Gay etc. people ....
even momumentous given the times we live in ! :D

where ever you go ,there you are

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 2:12 pm

I am relatively new to the world of affirming Christianity. I really wish that our affirming theology and how we reconcile our sexuality and gender identity with scripture was more out there, more common knowledge.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 3:00 pm

In many places folks on the LGBTQ spectrum are reluctant to out themselves for fear of how their co-workers and friends may react. I had plenty saved for retirement so I transitioned in place, letting everyone know I was on the spectrum. I left no question on my last day, as I dressed for the part and visited every department and talked with someone I knew!