Page 188 of 297 [ 4749 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191 ... 297  Next

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 4:27 pm

I Am a Cat, by Sōseki Natsume, translated by Aiko Ito, Graeme Wilson

also planning to go through a few reference books...
Aikido Basics, by Phong Thong Dang, Lynn Seiser
Kendo: A Comprehensive Guide to Japanese Swordsmanship, by Geoff Salmon
Ultimate Flexibility: A Complete Guide to Stretching for Martial Arts, by Sang H. Kim

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 5:25 pm

March - a graphic novel co authored by John Lewis.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 5:15 am

I'm still reading The Poetics of Space by, Gaston Bachelard

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 5:18 am

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 2:12 pm

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 10:01 pm

S.P.Q.R.--Mary Beard
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25013067-spqr

Quote:
By 63 BCE the city of Rome was a sprawling, imperial metropolis of more than a million inhabitants. But how did this massive city—the seat of power for an empire that spanned from Spain to Syria—emerge from what was once an insignificant village in central Italy? In S.P.Q.R., Beard changes our historical perspective, exploring how the Romans themselves challenged the idea of imperial rule, how they responded to terrorism and revolution, and how they invented a new idea of citizenship and nation, while also keeping her eye open for those overlooked in traditional histories: women, slaves and ex-slaves, conspirators, and losers. Like the best detectives, Beard separates fact from fiction, myth and propaganda from historical record. She introduces the familiar characters of Julius Caesar, Cicero, and Nero as well as the untold, the loud women, the shrewd bakers, and the brave jokers. S.P.Q.R. promises to shape our view of Roman history for decades to come.

Interesting revisionist history of the Roman Republic.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 11:04 pm

I'm reading harry Potter and the chamber of secrets.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 3:03 pm

I finished yesterday a book by Maggie Craig, The Dancing Days, I got to read about two Scottish lovers who met at a dance hall in the early thirties and got together. The male was a coal miner and the woman a skivvy.
He, Andrew, decided to get Jean out of the boarding house, as it was known at the time, and stop the slave labour bestowed on her, well, after she got him to dance as a professional.(she knew little about it.)
She worked for a reverends family and since her new bf got made out of the coal , she got him some clothes to wear from all the donations.
This book was kind of heart warming and funny really because he was a tall speaker over her, and they undertook dance marathons for them both. He got TB, and had to go to a sanatorium, to recoup.
My great- great grannie had it too and she didn't live. Anyway, she had to pay back this loan they owed this dance company and she took on some seedy roles, and he chucked her because he was a selfish, stubborn and young man.
He became a great professional dancer, even though he did the cheap on her, but it was all for money.
She became a successful writer before and after WW2 and eventually.. after years of separation they 'had it out' and lived happily ever after.. or at least together ever after.
I found this book in a church and put a fiver in the honesty box, for other pieces.
There was something striking about that book, maybe a closer reality check of how real life can always pan out well some day.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 5:26 pm

Monster.

Friedrich Hoffmann, after two hundred plus years, is able to tell his side of the story. A German chemist (pharmacist), who had relocated to Switzerland, is wrongfully executed by being broken on the wheel for the murder of his fiance. When he awakes, he finds himself in a huge, monstrous body strapped down to an operating table, with a somehow still living decapitated woman's head as his only company. Hoffmann soon learns they are the fiendish experiments of the real monster of the story, Victor Frankenstein.
So far entertaining, especially since Dr Frankenstein has invited the Marquis De Sade to view his experiments.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 6:54 am

struggling through two online, The Sublime Object of Ideology (The Essential Zizek) & The Anxiety Code: Deciphering the Purposes of Neurotic Anxiety

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2016, 4:10 am

Peter the Great: His Life and World by Robert K. Massie.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2016, 5:34 am

traven wrote:
struggling through two online, The Sublime Object of Ideology (The Essential Zizek) & The Anxiety Code: Deciphering the Purposes of Neurotic Anxiety

Do you like Zizek? I have one book, but can't stand it.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 2:16 am

Annapurna, by Maurice Herzog

LoveforLoki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2016, 2:38 am

Walden by Henry David Thoreau

traven
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2016, 1:04 am

HighLlama wrote:
traven wrote:

Do you like Zizek? I have one book, but can't stand it.

that right, it's a disappointing, boring, dated, lacanian-puffed up something
http://sites.middlebury.edu/soan365/fil ... eology.pdf

the "anxiety code" spiralled into micro-observations and never got round to make the big picture of that to society as a whole, and *personally* i range valueing anxiety as a negatif aspect of "feminisation", anxious being put on a pedestal, define it as feminin and from there make feminin defined by anxiety. (same as it ever was, the trick of playing the same tricks again)

traven
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2016, 1:08 am

Hard Times - Charles Dickens