Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Hoggy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Aug 2017, 3:27 pm

I've seen dragonforce 2 times, i would be seeing them this year but my friend i go with is pregnant and i dont fancy going without her.

Im liking this band at the moment, i havnt played all their songs yet but i quite like this one.

ManaLDN
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2017, 5:11 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I also like Rhapsody of Fire/Rhapsody, Battle Beast, Sabaton and Wintersun and recently Dragonforce

Does Sabaton count as ridiculous?

Dragonforce is among my favourite bands and I like both ZP and Marc. Can't get used to Reaching Into Infinity, but their previous albums were really good. The lyrics improved in my opinion. I think Maximum Overload and Ultra Beatdown would be my favourite, if you include all the bonus songs.

To the list of power metal bands I could add Stratovarius, Running Wild and Matenrou Opera.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 12:26 am

I am really liking this song:

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 9:58 pm

Local band that is no more.

Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 10:20 pm

I used to love power metal in high school, more of the incredibly cheesy stuff like dragonforce and hammerfall, and some to be taken seriously to some extent like sonata arctica and kamelot, but I've grown out of it as I get older. Still appreciate the cheese of power metal when I'm feeling nostalgic.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 4:36 pm

Can't get more ridiculous than Freedom Call, going to be posting a different band though:

SharkSandwich211 wrote:
My favorite Power Metal band is Lost Horizon from Germany. Not sure if you would call them "ridiculous" or not. But they all have playing chops to spare!! ! !

Are you sure they are from Germany? I can only find the one from Sweden. Considering they inspired an internet meme, they are definitely ridiculous.

ManaLDN wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I also like Rhapsody of Fire/Rhapsody, Battle Beast, Sabaton and Wintersun and recently Dragonforce

Having seen them live, definitely yes.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 7:21 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Can't get more ridiculous than Freedom Call, going to be posting a different band though:

SharkSandwich211 wrote:
My favorite Power Metal band is Lost Horizon from Germany. Not sure if you would call them "ridiculous" or not. But they all have playing chops to spare!! ! !

Are you sure they are from Germany? I can only find the one from Sweden. Considering they inspired an internet meme, they are definitely ridiculous.

ManaLDN wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I like Freedom Call lol 'Metal is for everyone' I always love cheesy songs about being a metalhead...and you got to see Sabaton live? I am rather jealous of that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 7:29 pm

886 wrote:
I used to love power metal in high school, more of the incredibly cheesy stuff like dragonforce and hammerfall, and some to be taken seriously to some extent like sonata arctica and kamelot, but I've grown out of it as I get older. Still appreciate the cheese of power metal when I'm feeling nostalgic.

I have only come to appreciate metal more and more as I get older, but also it has taken me a while to get around to listening to a lot of metal, there is so much...and different styles and I like all the styles. I even like hair metal, not all the bands but there are some good bands/songs.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 10:28 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
886 wrote:

I have only come to appreciate metal more and more as I get older, but also it has taken me a while to get around to listening to a lot of metal, there is so much...and different styles and I like all the styles. I even like hair metal, not all the bands but there are some good bands/songs.

It was hard being a metal head in high school. The prevailing demographics were rednecks and ghetto kids who thought metal was "Just screaming and yelling", "Devil worshipping garbage", or "Metallicer and Korn". One ghetto kid I had bad blood with hated metal, tried to make me stop listening to it on my headphones, said hardly anyone went to the shows, and probably had no idea that one really crappy rap song sampled Crazy Train.

Most of the girls didn't like it either. One even called me a "freak" and others would tell me to stop listening to it. There were some gothic girls but I was discouraged from hanging out with them because, for some stupid reason, gothic was considered "bad". My older brother even said the gothic culture was just "I hate myself and want to die" and even thought Slayer was "gothic". :roll:

With stuff like this and what I have to go through today, it's no wonder why I struggle to keep my metal passion.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 10:33 pm

Marknis wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
886 wrote:

It was hard being a metal head in high school. The prevailing demographics were rednecks and ghetto kids who thought metal was "Just screaming and yelling", "Devil worshipping garbage", or "Metallicer and Korn". One ghetto kid I had bad blood with hated metal, tried to make me stop listening to it on my headphones, said hardly anyone went to the shows, and probably had no idea that one really crappy rap song sampled Crazy Train.

Most of the girls didn't like it either. One even called me a "freak" and others would tell me to stop listening to it. There were some gothic girls but I was discouraged from hanging out with them because, for some stupid reason, gothic was considered "bad". My older brother even said the gothic culture was just "I hate myself and want to die" and even thought Slayer was "gothic". :roll:

With stuff like this and what I have to go through today, it's no wonder why I struggle to keep my metal passion.

Well for me metal has been something that has helped me through rough times. And school was always hard for me...I did ok academically but I usually ended up being the weird kid who got picked on and didn't really have any friends. If anything I am just glad I don't have to go to school anymore, I am 28 and still so relieved I don't have to go back to grade-school ever again..though sometimes I have nightmares that I do have to go to school and I hate those.

And well your brother is wrong...goth is a music style, a branch of punk actually, realistically most kids called 'goth' in the 90's weren't even goths...just wore dark colors. I mean I didn't even know what goth music was as a adolecent/teen and I still got called goth.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 11:31 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
886 wrote:

Well for me metal has been something that has helped me through rough times. And school was always hard for me...I did ok academically but I usually ended up being the weird kid who got picked on and didn't really have any friends. If anything I am just glad I don't have to go to school anymore, I am 28 and still so relieved I don't have to go back to grade-school ever again..though sometimes I have nightmares that I do have to go to school and I hate those.

And well your brother is wrong...goth is a music style, a branch of punk actually, realistically most kids called 'goth' in the 90's weren't even goths...just wore dark colors. I mean I didn't even know what goth music was as a adolecent/teen and I still got called goth.

I am still going through rough times. I live in the Bible Belt after all. Even in high school and my brief stint with college, I had people telling me "Don't listen to that music! It will make you feel bad and influence you negatively!" as if that was the sole reason I was struggling. No, it was because I was and still am stuck in a sick culture. My father didn't like the music I liked and tried to discourage me from it by telling me people would think I was a "Satanist" as well as shoving country music down my throat. You'd think my mother would be more understanding since her father would make her stop listening to Led Zeppelin but she still discouraged me.

The odd thing about my older brother is there was a time he listened to Slayer, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, and Children of Bodom, and laughed at Christian music. But he made this really strange 180 where he decided if the band was making constant radio play or millions of dollars, they "sucked", and dropped most of the bands he used to like in favor of country music. He didn't stop drinking or smoking, though. He even started saying things like our parents didn't take us to church enough and blah blah blah. :roll: Our parents took us to church quite often but instead of joining a bible study or going on missionary trips, what was he doing? Oh yeah, skateboarding and getting in fights. I actually attended two bible studies because my mother thought it would be good for me but I will never do so again. They were just a jock form of D&D.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 10:51 pm

Marknis wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
886 wrote:

I am still going through rough times. I live in the Bible Belt after all. Even in high school and my brief stint with college, I had people telling me "Don't listen to that music! It will make you feel bad and influence you negatively!" as if that was the sole reason I was struggling. No, it was because I was and still am stuck in a sick culture. My father didn't like the music I liked and tried to discourage me from it by telling me people would think I was a "Satanist" as well as shoving country music down my throat. You'd think my mother would be more understanding since her father would make her stop listening to Led Zeppelin but she still discouraged me.

The odd thing about my older brother is there was a time he listened to Slayer, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, and Children of Bodom, and laughed at Christian music. But he made this really strange 180 where he decided if the band was making constant radio play or millions of dollars, they "sucked", and dropped most of the bands he used to like in favor of country music. He didn't stop drinking or smoking, though. He even started saying things like our parents didn't take us to church enough and blah blah blah. :roll: Our parents took us to church quite often but instead of joining a bible study or going on missionary trips, what was he doing? Oh yeah, skateboarding and getting in fights. I actually attended two bible studies because my mother thought it would be good for me but I will never do so again. They were just a jock form of D&D.

Well your brother is a misguided idiot no offense but yeah sort of surprising that, that is your sibling...you seem so much more reasonable. Also I tried to be active about christian things, went on some church trips where you would stay in a housing unit with bunk beds and such....part of it was I had no friends so church events were something I could try to be social at. But yeah after a while I heavily rebelled against christianity, identified as a satanist for a while, my mom didn't like that but she eventually realized it doesn't matter. Now she's all into yoga and eastern medicine so interestingly more open to some of the things I talk about.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 6:25 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
886 wrote:

Well your brother is a misguided idiot no offense but yeah sort of surprising that, that is your sibling...you seem so much more reasonable. Also I tried to be active about christian things, went on some church trips where you would stay in a housing unit with bunk beds and such....part of it was I had no friends so church events were something I could try to be social at. But yeah after a while I heavily rebelled against christianity, identified as a satanist for a while, my mom didn't like that but she eventually realized it doesn't matter. Now she's all into yoga and eastern medicine so interestingly more open to some of the things I talk about.

I can't edit my post anymore. I meant that he thinks if a band isn't getting constant radio play or making millions of dollars, they suck. According to him, a band like Napalm Death "sucks" despite being innovators of a genre as well as adapting to changes in the music world without comprising their core values because they aren't constantly in your face while a cookie cutter band like Trivium "rules" simply because they are super popular.

I will be fair and say he has treated me nicer the last times we've seen each other but I still feel vigilant around him.

Though I no longer have it, Blind Guardian's Imaginations from The Otherside is definitely an album I respect. It has some really grandiose riffing and solos. I also thought Hammer Fall's Legacy of Kings had some good moments.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 11:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

SharkSandwich211 wrote:

ManaLDN wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I like Freedom Call lol 'Metal is for everyone' I always love cheesy songs about being a metalhead...and you got to see Sabaton live? I am rather jealous of that.

Yeah, I saw them supporting Nightwish. I never really got what was so great about them until I saw them live, best live band I've seen.

Marknis wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
886 wrote:

I had the opposite experience, if it wasn't for metal I would have had no friends in my last two years in highschool as I could make friends with the metalheads.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 9:14 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

SharkSandwich211 wrote:

ManaLDN wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Yeah, I saw them supporting Nightwish. I never really got what was so great about them until I saw them live, best live band I've seen.

Marknis wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
886 wrote:

I had the opposite experience, if it wasn't for metal I would have had no friends in my last two years in highschool as I could make friends with the metalheads.

I didn't really have friends my last two years of highschool, but there weren't really any other metalheads either...there were some people that listened to some metal, but they probably would have been annoyed by how much I care about it.

Also for me I started listening to Twilight Force, and on that artist radio on spotify it played Freedom Call and at first I was kinda like 'meh not sure, I mean freedom call? lol' but yeah they certainly grew on me pretty quick. They kind of remind me of the band Helloween so hard not to like something that reminds me of that.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 8:45 am

Ganondox wrote:

I went to both a private religious school and later on a redneck school so metalheads were in the extreme minority. I was also discouraged from making friends with "weirdos" or people who were "different". My father was especially bad for this and wanted me to hang out with his fellow rednecks despite how they treated me like crap. Even he joined in on it and I started to hate him when these repressed memories came back to me.

There was one guy who would wear Children of Bodom, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, and Nile shirts who I talked to sometimes but he cared more about his girlfriend as well as pushing himself onto other girls. His break up with that girlfriend nearly had him committing suicide IIRC. We really couldn't be true friends because I just didn't know how to initiate friendships and I actually thought in time God would bring me everything so I just had to wait; I am glad I no longer suffer from that delusion. There's more to it but it was such a long time ago it's difficult trying to remember every single thing. That guy hung out with my older brother who actually for a time liked bands like the aforementioned ones.