Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jan 2018, 2:32 am

I used to desire to write Science Fiction. I actually did write quite a bit of it. Could not quite get around to editing and revising the story, simply because I would never end it. Could it be that I am a series author, one who writes series of novels? I wonder about precisely this thing.

Well, in any event, nothing came of it. Should have began sending my stories off, to publication, rather than go to College. Who knows? I could have made a whole lot of money that way. Yes, to think of how things could have been. Still, before I wrote Science Fiction, I was into High Fantasy. I remember, I loved The Lord of The Rings, in particular. But, I also read Ursula K. Legiun's books, as well.

mrshappyhands
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2018, 2:37 am

As long as you are breathing you can still write. Maybe college helped give you insight or experiences to draw from - made you wiser. Some of the greatest authors wrote incredible works well beyond their younger days.

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jan 2018, 2:46 am

Thank you very much. And, I do have many memories to draw from. I like the idea of a Galactic Civilization, though. That is a lot of fun.

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 7:52 am

TwinRuler wrote:
I used to desire to write Science Fiction. I actually did write quite a bit of it. Could not quite get around to editing and revising the story, simply because I would never end it. Could it be that I am a series author, one who writes series of novels? I wonder about precisely this thing.

It could be that being a series author would be better for you than writing several stand-alone books. If you created characters and worlds you like to keep that certainly makes sense.

Still each individual book would need an ending, just in that case one that allows the story to continue, and you'd definitely need to edit it before sending it to a publisher. Big publishers get a lot of books to choose from. Therefore yours should better be the best you can make it if you want to stand a chance.

TwinRuler wrote:
Well, in any event, nothing came of it. Should have began sending my stories off, to publication, rather than go to College. Who knows? I could have made a whole lot of money that way. Yes, to think of how things could have been.

No, it's probably good that you went to college. It's extremely unlikely to make a whole lot of money by writing fiction. Most people who try never get published by any of the big publishers and most who do get published can't really make a living of it in the long term. If it's your dream to become an author it's not too late to do so. Most successful authors didn't have their breakthrough in their teens or early twenties anyway. If writing is what you want to do, do it, but do it because you like it and not because it may be a chance to make a lot of money. Becoming an author to become rich is not more likely to be a success than any other way of becoming rich. Therefore it's often better for a beginner author to have a plan B or be willing to work a normal job until the big breakthrough may come.

Life experience and knowledge is also never bad for an author. What you learned (or experienced) at college may help you come up with more stories or more details of your existing stories etc.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 5:31 pm

There's nothing wrong with getting a higher education. A writer can draw from what he or she has learned in college. In fact, as a horror writer, I've found that I had been given a treasure trove of information I've used in my fiction.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 11:44 am

It's interesting how genre writing is. When I started outlining "Murder in Rock & Roll Heaven," it was supposed to be a straight murder mystery novel, but the more I delved into it, the more science I had to bring in to make the story realistic. As it stands now, the novel can be categorized as sci-fi/mystery/fantasy.

My novella/screenplay "The Black Cumin Cure" had a bit of a different genesis. That one started out as a horror story with sci-fi elements. Now, after I've filled in the blanks and lengthened it, it's primarily sci-fi with horror elements.

I've also written some shorter sci-fi bits, but I think that in the end, I was made to mash up my genres.

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2018, 12:13 pm

NorthWind wrote:
TwinRuler wrote:

It could be that being a series author would be better for you than writing several stand-alone books. If you created characters and worlds you like to keep that certainly makes sense.

Still each individual book would need an ending, just in that case one that allows the story to continue, and you'd definitely need to edit it before sending it to a publisher. Big publishers get a lot of books to choose from. Therefore yours should better be the best you can make it if you want to stand a chance.

TwinRuler wrote:
Well, in any event, nothing came of it. Should have began sending my stories off, to publication, rather than go to College. Who knows? I could have made a whole lot of money that way. Yes, to think of how things could have been.

No, it's probably good that you went to college. It's extremely unlikely to make a whole lot of money by writing fiction. Most people who try never get published by any of the big publishers and most who do get published can't really make a living of it in the long term. If it's your dream to become an author it's not too late to do so. Most successful authors didn't have their breakthrough in their teens or early twenties anyway. If writing is what you want to do, do it, but do it because you like it and not because it may be a chance to make a lot of money. Becoming an author to become rich is not more likely to be a success than any other way of becoming rich. Therefore it's often better for a beginner author to have a plan B or be willing to work a normal job until the big breakthrough may come.

Life experience and knowledge is also never bad for an author. What you learned (or experienced) at college may help you come up with more stories or more details of your existing stories etc.

Thank you. I will do that. Sounds like great advice.

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2018, 6:10 pm

When it comes to SF, it's better to write irrelevant short stories because if you write a series of stories, you'll have to go into details and the more you reveal, the more questionable your imaginary universe becomes. It's like lying, it's easy to lie one time but if you constantly lie you have to fit one lie to another and not make them contradict. My opinion. If you decide to write a series of stories anyways, be prepared to rack your brain.
I have noticed that long SF stories are actually less scientifically infused and more resemble of fantasy. I believe that's for the reason mentioned.

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2018, 6:00 am

Hey, that is a good idea. Thanks!

Ejecta
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2018, 3:59 am

Hi, I think when someone wishes to write a book, the first thing that would come into their mind would the the Ending, --the outcome of a series of events which then have to be turned and twisted into a captivating narrative with interesting,engaging and convincing characters. It is not easy, I have been giving some thought to this veryy subject in the last week I would like to write short stories-maybe taking 10-15 minutes to read, this short format would suit my style of very intensive writing and would prevent me from getting bogged down in an overly-convoluted plot.
You only need a few characters to make a story compelling, adding endless hordes like Tolkein did for The Lord Of The Rings was very self-indulgent, added little or nothing to the story and simply served to dilute the attention of the reader.
Simplicity and brevity are the key factors I will be aiming to incorporate.
Good Luck with your efforts, if I manage to come up with anything decent I will see how I could post it up on here somehow so wish me luck too!

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

19 Feb 2018, 7:26 pm

Well, I am going to do a whole lot of world-building, too. Mind you, I think I start with the coastlines, then, draw the mountains where I think the land will be. Once that is accomplished, I can draw blue lines, representing rivers, down to the coasts. And, once that is done, I can later see if I can draw spots, representing cities and towns along the rivers, and at the coasts.

Now, in order to construct the Urban Areas, and make maps of them, I probably will need to learn a lot about city planning and architecture. This so exciting. I have such creative ideas. What would really be most fun, though, would be to invent my very own language, complete with its own alphabet. Yes, I am getting really excited about all of this now. And, I am glad that I am, too. Still, I fear that I may not be detail oriented enough, to follow through with it all.