Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 10:06 pm

Got any doodles you'd like to share? Feel free to post them on this thread. :) I'd recommend uploading them on Imgur, then "open image in new tab" and copy and pasting that link into the "insert image" option if you are struggling to get pictures to show. Hoping that works for me and the images display properly...

If they do, then here are some of my doodles:

:)

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2018, 3:25 pm

I like your imagination! I could never be so abstract as to put a snake-bowl right in someone's forehead. I get that those two may be unrelated, but it looks cool to me.

I'm not sure what counts as a doodle, but if it's like small sketches, I made these on the bus today:

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 5:09 pm

Embla wrote:
I like your imagination! I could never be so abstract as to put a snake-bowl right in someone's forehead. I get that those two may be unrelated, but it looks cool to me.

Haha, yeah. :D I know the first one probably seems a bit odd/ all over the place. That's because when I doodle I never really have much of a plan, I just draw whatever comes to mind, and because my mind is quite associative in nature I can end up with some very odd things indeed.

Admittedly I was doodling in a lecture about identity, and the first thing for me that comes to mind is an eye (since people say that "eyes never lie/ are the window to someone's true self")...which got me thinking about the concept of honesty and dishonesty.

Snakes are thought to be cunning creatures which keep to themselves, they are calculating, cold, and sometimes symbolise withholding information, or being underhanded in approach. If eyes symbolise open honesty and vulnerability, then you could say that snakes are the opposite.

Thus, in a weird sort of way the snake is connected to the face. I have somewhat of a fascination with this idea of concealing emotions, and often draw faces where there is a disconnect between what the person's face says VS what they are actually thinking.

Originally I drew a tear under the eye, but that tear turned into a fan/ set of revolving doors, because it is easy to feel "trapped" (I dislike revolving doors and even though it's irrational, sometimes I worry about getting stuck in them forever in an inescapable loop) by a manipulative person's gaze. I knew girls that used to pretend to cry in order to get what they wanted, and then would stop instantly once people caved to their demands, so that also ties into the whole emotional manipulation and feeling trapped thing.

Although the others never got down on their knees and started fanning them, they might've well have done considering how much control they had over them.

Embla wrote:
I'm not sure what counts as a doodle, but if it's like small sketches, I made these on the bus today:

Personally out of those drawings I am most drawn to the (presumably abandoned) house with trees/ plants sprouting out of it, although I also like the stormy sea with a boat on. Your drawings are nicely detailed, I admire that. :)

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2018, 4:43 pm

Wow! That is so interesting! I thought that first one was just completely random doodling, but there's so much more to that drawing! Having it explained to me, I really like that symbolism.
How about page two? Now that I know about the background to the first one, I'm really curious about the other!

What's really interesting to me is how you had no immediate plan with that drawing, but it still holds so much information. While my drawings are always something concrete, and it's planned out before I start drawing. But even though I give some thought to my doodles, there's never a deeper meaning behind them.
You've inspired me to try to stop thinking too much before I hit the paper with the pen. Seems like I might learn something interesting about the way my own thoughts work.

I very much relate to your thought about the revolving doors there. I never made the same connection, but I hate those doors, and I keep getting in the way of manipulators.

Thank you! I like that house best as well. I try to keep it simple, but I keep getting caught up in the details!

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 9:18 am

Quote:
Thank you! I like that house best as well. I try to keep it simple, but I keep getting caught up in the details!

I know what you mean, there have been times where I’ve got myself caught up in the details. For instance, on the second page it bugs me slightly that I forgot to add whiskers and small tuffs of fur above the cat’s eyes.

Personally, when I read this I thought of the song “I’m not dead” by Boyinaband. In particular, this one line “I wish this beat hit harder, I wish more syllables rhymed, I know that 99% of people really don’t mind”.

When I show people my old work, such as my old doodles or short stories that I wrote, I am usually the one to see all its flaws. Perhaps it is true what they say, about being your own worst critic. I enjoy looking back on my own work though, it shows how I have changed (and hopefully improved).

The hardest part when creating art for me is knowing when to stop, it can be difficult to know which details to include, and which ones to leave out. At school I often struggled with this, in art class I tended to find that a piece of art would go really well, and then I’d add one detail too far which would ruin it (especially if the rubber wasn’t particularly good and the mistake lingered). :x

Unfortunately, I failed art class. But I don’t think that always gives an accurate representation of a person’s ability. My friend didn’t get high enough grades to even qualify for GCSE art, but he can draw perfect replicas of war planes and weapons easily.

It was annoying really, because I scored B’s in my coursework, but I failed my art exam, so my coursework basically meant nothing and I ended up failing overall.

School grades aren’t everything though. My dad failed art and woodwork, these days he makes wooden boats and sells them. He’s also sold several paintings before. So, it is possible to pick up certain skills later in life.

Have you ever seen or heard “Be more chill” the musical? I think the moral was good, about how it is important to keep your own self-critic constructive, rather than self-destructive.

Quote:
Wow! That is so interesting! I thought that first one was just completely random doodling, but there's so much more to that drawing! Having it explained to me, I really like that symbolism.

I often find that the connections I make come across as bizarre, non sensical, and random to others until I explain them. One of my biggest mistakes during Primary school was my habit of not stopping to explain why I made the connections that I did, because they just seemed obvious to me, so I presumed that they were obvious to everyone else.

The drawing is random in a sense, because I just drew whatever was on my mind at that time. I have something of a wandering mind, so when I sit down to draw I don’t really know what direction it will go in.

Usually I do a quick doodle like the ones I did above, then I’ll see what I like out of that drawing, afterwards I’ll spend some time practicing drawing that one element, perhaps trying to get the proportions more technically accurate, and I’ll see what works and what doesn’t.

Quote:
What's really interesting to me is how you had no immediate plan with that drawing, but it still holds so much information. While my drawings are always something concrete, and it's planned out before I start drawing. But even though I give some thought to my doodles, there's never a deeper meaning behind them.

One of my friends describes my memory to be “like a sponge” in that I often remember past experiences in detail, these memories often come back to me for random reasons such as “Oh hey, I remember that shirt, it’s the kind that my sister wore when we were at that Aquarium years ago”.

I don’t really know why I remember the stuff I do, after all remembering that my dad once had a Calippo orange ice lolly at a pool we once went to, which had a code you had to remember to access the pool’s toilet doesn’t tend to come in use in everyday life. :lol:

But when I’m drawing, random memories just come to me and often influence my artwork. So, I don’t tend to set out with the intention of giving it a meaning, but then I’ll draw something which will make me think of something that happened in my life, or a random dream I had, and it’ll just go from there.

It's a shame that I don’t have this kind of memory when it comes to learning maths. :x

Quote:
You've inspired me to try to stop thinking too much before I hit the paper with the pen. Seems like I might learn something interesting about the way my own thoughts work.

I very much relate to your thought about the revolving doors there. I never made the same connection, but I hate those doors, and I keep getting in the way of manipulators

Well it’s nice to know that I’ve inspired someone, and I agree that it can be nice to sometimes just draw without overthinking it. :)

Although it can be hard to get that balance of simple and complex right, currently I’m doing a project where I’m designing cartoonish illustrations for this product for young children, and it can be difficult to get the right amount of detail into it, you don’t want to go overboard, yet at the same time you don’t want it to look like you haven’t put any in any effort…so yeah it can be a hard balance to achieve.

Quote:
How about page two? Now that I know about the background to the first one, I'm really curious about the other!

Well, I should probably go work on my project now, but I’ll be online here later.

I will be able to explain page two once I’ve finished some more of my work. :)

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 4:33 pm

Hmm, the second page. Well, the cat is just because I like cats so I'm not entirely surprised that I thought of that whilst drawing. :D

As for the cloud/thought bubble behind the cat, that shows the cat's thoughts. I drew a warning sign to represent danger (because fear= scaredy cat= worrying about impending danger) as for the question mark, cats are known for their sense of curiosity (question mark= questioning the World around them= curiosity).

So, that got me thinking about the saying "Curiosity killed the cat, but determination brought it back".

People often miss the ending of that saying, the phrase is supposed to be about being resilient through tough times even when you may not fully understand what it is you are facing. Hence the weather symbols; sun, clouds, rain, snow, day, night...the cat continues on throughout it all whilst maintaining a sense of curiosity. :)

The punctuation next to the weather symbols just represents communication as a whole, I thought about that when I drew the cat's tail.

Cats often frequently swish their tails from side to side when they are about to pounce on something. This can be to pounce on prey, or even if you are just annoying them... in that case they are giving off warning signals... similar to the warning sign above the cat.

I wasn't really sure how to capture the rapid swishing movement of a cat about to pounce, so I guess it came off looking a bit odd.

Unfortunately, quite a few people misinterpret body language from a cat, and mistakenly believe that rapid wagging means the same in a cat as it does for a dog.

When actually their body language tends to be the complete opposite of each other.

They think "Oh, the cat is being friendly!", when actually it is trying to warn people "I don't really want to hurt you, but if you keep bugging me I will, because I need my own space dammit" which is certainly a feeling that I can relate to.

Sometimes people say that I'm a bit like a "cat in human form", and sometimes I feel a bit like that.

I went through a phase where I studied the body language of cats, among other things such as cat genetics, patterns, sub-patterns, breeds, big cats, small wild cats, the history of the domestication of cats...you name it and I've probably studied it. :lol:

Not to sound big headed or anything though. I'm still learning, for instance I found out about the Asian Fishing cat recently, and also about the fact that there are lions that live in swamps.

Did you know that there are some female lions out there that have manes? It's incredibly rare, as far as I know only 5 or so cases have ever been recorded.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... ike-males/

If you are into that kind of thing, let me know because if so I have documentaries I'd recommend. OK, I'm done nerding out about felines now. :oops: :D

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2018, 6:08 am

Quote:
When I show people my old work, such as my old doodles or short stories that I wrote, I am usually the one to see all its flaws. Perhaps it is true what they say, about being your own worst critic. I enjoy looking back on my own work though, it shows how I have changed (and hopefully improved).

The hardest part when creating art for me is knowing when to stop, it can be difficult to know which details to include, and which ones to leave out.

Yeah, I do the same. For every "that's really nice"-comment I get, I only answer things like "yeah, well, the lighting is a bit messed up there, and I think the colour would've worked better if I had avoided greens". I hate all my work from before last year, but also see it as a good sign of improvement.
And overworking my paintings is probably my biggest problem. Especially when it started out really good and my continuous "improving" of it only makes it worse.

Quote:
One of my biggest mistakes during Primary school was my habit of not stopping to explain why I made the connections that I did, because they just seemed obvious to me, so I presumed that they were obvious to everyone else.

I did this too. I got good grades in art class, because I was good at drawing, and was one of very few students who actually worked on the given tasks. But they would've been even better if only I could explain my thought process. This wasn't only in art class though. Pretty much every time a "explain your thoughts on this"-question came up in school, I was completely lost.

Quote:
One of my friends describes my memory to be “like a sponge”

Haha! My friends call me "glue-brain", because weird and useless stuff stick to it. Like, I can't remember what I had for lunch today, but I know that the train I was on last week left at 14.20 from platform 7, I was seated in car 3, seat 64, the train number was 50143 (and I have the same information from the train I took back home). I feel like that brain-space could be taken up by much more useful information. Especially since I'm not actually interested in numbers, they just happen to stick. I'm bad at math too.
My glue-brain is good when it comes to drawing though, as I'm good at remembering visual input.

Quote:
Although it can be hard to get that balance of simple and complex right, currently I’m doing a project where I’m designing cartoonish illustrations for this product for young children, and it can be difficult to get the right amount of detail into it, you don’t want to go overboard, yet at the same time you don’t want it to look like you haven’t put any in any effort…so yeah it can be a hard balance to achieve.

I know the struggle! I do a lot of characters for children's books, and while I want them to look as nice as possible, I also can't make a character where the hair takes 20 minutes to draw if I'm going to be drawing them 40 times! I never understood what "less is more" meant before I started drawing for children.

About page 2. You certainly seem to have gotten better at explaining your thoughts. Again, it's super interesting to read the backstory.
I've done a whole bunch of research on animal body language as well. I'm really freaking annoyed with people who misinterpret their signals. I have a dog right now who is really nervous, and she jumps up on people who gets too close, not because she's happy to see them, but because she's anxious. And people take it as "Oh how nice! Let's get up in this dogs face because she's clearly super into me!" D:
I have read up on human body language too, but for some reason, I still don't quite get it. I can read animals easily, but not people.

Quote:
I found out about the Asian Fishing cat recently, and also about the fact that there are lions that live in swamps.

Did you know that there are some female lions out there that have manes? It's incredibly rare, as far as I know only 5 or so cases have ever been recorded.

If you are into that kind of thing, let me know because if so I have documentaries I'd recommend. OK, I'm done nerding out about felines now. :oops: :D

NOOO don't teach me about that stuff!! That is all amazingly interesting, and I do NOT have the time to start obsessing over yet another thing! I have real work to do!!
All I want to do now is to google that fishing cat XD

Ok, it's too late. Hit me with those documentaries!

Hehe, seems like we completely hijacked this thread with unrelated stuff. I really like this idea for a thread, so to stick with the concept, here's my sketches from yesterday. Some value-practice, my dog, and mushroom-houses.
Image Image

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Hehe, seems like we completely hijacked this thread with unrelated stuff.

True, although that’s not exactly uncommon on this website. :D

Quote:
I really like this idea for a thread, so to stick with the concept, here's my sketches from yesterday. Some value-practice, my dog, and mushroom-houses. *pictures*

Those are some nice tree branches, also is your dog a Jack Russel by chance? I can tell from the drawing that it seems to be a least some kind of terrier dog.

A friend of mine has a Jack Russel, I went to their house once, and their dog was really hyperactive. The garden had a circle where the grass had been worn down, since they ran around in circles outside so much. :lol:

I also rather like the sort of beehive type pattern behind the dog. Presumably that’s some type of mesh/fencing.

Quote:
One of my biggest mistakes during Primary school was my habit of not stopping to explain why I made the connections that I did, because they just seemed obvious to me, so I presumed they were obvious to everyone else.

Quote:
I did this too. I got good grades in art class, because I was good at drawing, and was one of very few students who actually worked on the given tasks. But they would've been even better if only I could explain my thought process. This wasn't only in art class though. Pretty much every time a "explain your thoughts on this"-question came up in school, I was completely lost.

I didn’t do much art in Primary school, but I still have my old reports somewhere, and there are comments from the teachers that talk about how I snuck off during lessons to try and work on my art project when I wasn’t supposed to. :lol:

Yeah, I didn’t like those kind of questions, especially these supposedly subjective exercises that I used to do. They would say that they were subjective, then turn around and scold me for not writing what they had on the answer sheet. :roll:

The time my school counsellor freaked out is a good example of this (which I talked about here: viewtopic.php?t=353311&hilit=+school+counsellor), since the answer that I gave to the question was technically correct, but since it wasn’t an option on her answer sheet she deemed it to be incorrect.

My teachers gave me confusing reasons when I asked why they were making me see the school counsellor, muttering things about how I “needed to think inside the box more, and make more obvious connections”.

Then, after my last session, I had an assembly where they urged students to “think outside the box”. :|

A part of me felt like standing up and yelling “WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME? SHOULD I THINK INSIDE, OR OUTSIDE THE BOX? HOW CAN I TELL WHAT IS IN OR OUTSIDE? TELL ME DAMMIT!” :x

Looking back, I realise that it was less to do with thinking “inside” or “outside” a box, but rather my connections probably came across as random and nonsensical when I didn’t take the time to explain them.

Still happens to me sometimes, when I’m unsure of a joke I tend to ask “Oh, is it humorous because….” and then state what I think the joke is, there have been times where I’ve been completely off, and my friend has looked at me confused then replied “What? No. I didn’t even think about that. You’re completely over-thinking this”.

I’ll admit that I do have a habit of doing that sometimes. Some people have accused me of not having a sense of humour because of this, but I can confirm that I do indeed have a sense of humour. Unlike me a lot of the time, it is not frequently lost. :D

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2018, 1:42 am

The dog gets mistaken for a JRT a lot. It's actually a Danish-Swedish Farmdog, but they're very alike. The DSF just have longer legs and a somewhat milder temper. Although this particular one is about as hyper as they get. I don't have that circle of torn down grass, but there are plenty of dug up holes in my backyard, which I constantly step into and twist my ankles. The dog also runs around my feet a lot. I suspect she enjoys seeing me fall.

Art class was actually the only one where I did what I was told. For everything else I tended to sneak off and do something else as well. I recently visited my dad and he told me and his wife about the time I was doing athletics. "It was always fun to watch her in those classes. When everyone was doing high jumps, Embla was doing long jumps. When everyone was doing the 100 meter sprint, Embla sprinted to the forest to look at some mushroom."

I got similar complaints from my teachers as you, but was lucky to avoid the school counselor for most of the time. The only reason I was sent there was because I didn't always wear shoes, and they thought that I was being mistreated. In reality, I just didn't like wearing shoes. However, they made me keep going there, because the counselor was very worried that I was "sexually confused"! Man, how I regret mentioning my interest in a girl to her, I just don't know when to shut up :lol:

That "inside/outside the box" thing makes me frustrated only reading about it! But not surprised, unfortunately. Seems like all of mainstream society reasons like that. "Yay! Praise our differences! Unique is good! Think outside the box! BUT ONLY TO A CERTAIN EXTENT!"

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 10:16 am

Embla wrote:
Quote:
I found out about the Asian Fishing cat recently, and also about the fact that there are lions that live in swamps.

NOOO don't teach me about that stuff!! That is all amazingly interesting, and I do NOT have the time to start obsessing over yet another thing! I have real work to do!!
All I want to do now is to google that fishing cat XD

Ok, it's too late. Hit me with those documentaries!

Sadly the documentary I had in mind seems to have been taken down, so here's some random footage of a fishing cat instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjBmEMI9jJo

:lol:

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 5:57 pm

Embla wrote:
However, they made me keep going there, because the counsellor was very worried that I was "sexually confused"! Man, how I regret mentioning my interest in a girl to her, I just don't know when to shut up :lol:

Concerned about what? Did they worry that you might join the big scary gay agenda I've heard so much about? :lol:

It's hard to keep track of everything, what with my sinister intentions left handed club, and mandatory World domination by gay agenda society meetings. :D

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 6:59 pm

Working on a phone using just fingers can get tedious.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2018, 5:28 am

Quote:
Concerned about what? Did they worry that you might join the big scary gay agenda I've heard so much about? :lol:

It's hard to keep track of everything, what with my sinister intentions left handed club, and mandatory World domination by gay agenda society meetings. :D

Hahaa!!
I think that she meant well. She was only borderline homophobic , so it wasn't really about converting me back to normal. More about making clear that bisexuality isn't a real thing, and i should make up my mind (preferably in the hetero direction, "but no pressure!") in order to maintain a good mental health.
But the main worry was about me not having shoes or friends :lol:

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2018, 5:32 am

SentientPotato wrote:

Working on a phone using just fingers can get tedious.

Nice! Good proportions.

I wanted to try out digital art once, but only have the mousepad to work with so I gave it up really quickly. I can imagine working on a phone like that is even more difficult.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 5:44 am

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 6:29 am

mood before work