Page 210 of 296 [ 4735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 296  Next

F84.9
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Feb 2018, 11:15 am

Brian Tracy: Eat That Frog - Get More of the Important Things Done Today

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:26 pm

D.O.A. - Extreme Horror Collection.

Anthology of bloody and disturbing horror stories, which my wife just got me for Valentine's Day.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:37 pm

12 Rules For Life - Jordan Peterson

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2018, 6:13 pm

So now around page 80 of The Concubine's Secret,(Kate Furnivall) and its kind of slow, in a Russian indo- China War suburbia sense, but its still gripping and I think I'm going to leave the Blind Fury, by Lynda La Plant for a time when I want to get into the mind of a crime writer because, romance is healing and a blind remedy to any indoctrinated cause.
I don't know how I 'm doing it, must be the rare moon eclipse in my sun sign this month.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Feb 2018, 6:58 pm

The Bay of Shadows
Samantha Wood

Tense, lots of plot, good to read.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 4:24 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
hobojungle wrote:
Healing the Shame That Binds You by John Bradshaw

I enjoyed that one a lot. I don't know about him building a career on that one idea. I went to a lecture by him, and saw a lot less of the scientific approach that he took in that book. I had a long drive home to think about it, afterwards, and I felt like in his lecture he had gone too far in pathologizing various things. However, different people at the workshop had vastly different experiences and needs.

I’m still reading this; taking lots of notes. So much great information.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 4:27 pm

Courtesy of a neighbor passing on her old paperbacks to mother, I’m reading The Witching Hour by Anne Rice before bed every night.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2018, 5:05 pm

Not bad for a ten year old page turner. Thanks Amazon!
I finished the 515 pages of The Concubines Secret.. it took place in post war Soviet Russia. Obviously this girl (Lydia), was on the trail to find her long lost father whom she hadn't seen for twelve years in a prison camp.. and took along from China her bodyguard and half brother. Whilst on this journey she attempt to contact the Chinese communist embassy in Jun chow to find her lover and beckons information to Russian officials in order to see him again. They meet up in Moscow at a formal open dinner party and from there resume their secret romance. The ending was a bit vague, as she leaves behind old companions to start anew, her brother has made a secret pact with the Vory, and the reader can't tell if she safely meets her lover Chang An Lo in Hong Kong.. run by the British Embassy in the late 1920's.
My other book which I'm now resuming is Blind Fury by Lynda La Plant and I am on page 134. There are 501 pages.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 11:21 pm

The Stones of Venice (the sequel to The Seven Lamps of Architecture), by John Ruskin

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Feb 2018, 4:46 am

I'm on my third read of Infinite Jest. It's so beautiful. I put a copy on my smallest Kindle and keep that in my purse. So when I say "I'm reading" I would ask you to picture me at a bus stop or a waiting line. I'm sort of always immersed, it's in my thoughts. Yesterday I had a huge scary appointment; I was so glad to have that book with me - except the Kindle was not charged. :cry: [Best laid plans]

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 4:22 pm

I'm halfway through Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules For Life.

Just bought Laszlo Krasznahorkai's The World Goes On.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

greenheron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2018, 4:15 am

The Brothers Karamazov--yes, all of them, the offspring of Dostoevsky. Hard dogs to keep under the porch.

apus apus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2018, 6:44 am

James Herriot's Dog Stories

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 3:33 am

Claradoon wrote:
I'm on my third read of Infinite Jest. It's so beautiful. I put a copy on my smallest Kindle and keep that in my purse. So when I say "I'm reading" I would ask you to picture me at a bus stop or a waiting line. I'm sort of always immersed, it's in my thoughts. Yesterday I had a huge scary appointment; I was so glad to have that book with me - except the Kindle was not charged. :cry: [Best laid plans]

Always wanted to read that but heard it was a very difficult read

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Mar 2018, 5:07 am

On my first read of Infinite Jest, I had to make a rule for myself: Turn The Page. It was so beautiful, I could still be looking at Page 1. Yes, it's difficult at first. But don't deny yourself. Just keep reading, whether you think you got it or not.

I found it helpful to watch David Foster Wallace's interviews on YouTube - just to hear his manner of speaking made the book a little more familiar.

Good luck!

ps Author gives good comic relief. :lol:

Ms.Berg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 5:37 am

I am currently reading The Plantagenets by Dan Jones and Testament by John Romer (The latter is a nostalgic thing too as I saw the TV series when I was young and got attached to it: the theme music, John Romers way of talking and an interesting topic so I was nostalgicly thrilled when I discovered there was a book based on the series and after all these years found it in an online secondhand bookstore in England. t felt like such luck I am so happy for it!).