Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

munch15a
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2012, 1:46 am

Guys I have been creating my own sic-fi universe for about 7 years now a few years ago I started writing a novel set in the universe I’m more or less happy with what I have so far about to 40k words and I love the background I have developed it to the same level as any of the greats like star wars or doctor who (not joking I have time lines detailing almost 3000 years of history and Wikipedia style articles detailing 14 different cultures)
But I’m at a point now where I just can’t work out how to write the next bit of the story in part I’m trapped because I can never write everything I’ve thought of into 4 books let alone 1 I really want to get past where I’m at but between my busy lifeand writers block I just can’t go any further

I don’t want to show it to anyone until I’ve done a proof read of it which will be weeks and weeks of work (every 3rd word has red lines under it ) and its hard to do when I will no pay off

as far as problems on this site mine is not huge but still I really want to be able to get further into the story I feel the universe I have created is great but I cant make a story set in it or at least I cant finish one

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 3:14 am

my only suggestion would be to find your muse in somebody else's creation, take notes from such and figure out ways to incorporate some similar elements into your story.

TheChamelion
Raven
Raven

17 Mar 2012, 3:55 am

I would say to always have a small pocketbook or something of the sorts with you. That way when you think of an idea you can just put it down and then come back to it later.
That and allot of brainstorming! :roll: I know most people hate brainstorming but it can really be helpful, even some of the best authors in the world still use it!

You should always at least brainstorm the main points of the book, if not of every chapter. This can be especially helpful as you can then drop subtle hints at the major twists coming, just like the pros! (This could also help with your proof reading as you can check your chapter over after doing it without worrying about forgetting what you wanted to put in the next chapter! Much less daunting then looking at 5-200k of unchecked work...)

questor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 4:33 am

Maybe you just need to take a break from doing the story, and then come back to it after a "holiday". Also, it sounds like you are busy with other things, too, so maybe you haven't been getting enough rest. I suggest you get some rest during your "holiday" from writing. That should help, too.

I wish I were good at writing stories. I have a number of different daydream universes, with several main ones, but I am not good enough at writing to convert them into written stories. Also, they are both too complex, and not fleshed out enough to convert to print. They are just part of my escape from the life I lead, but they do make things more tolerable. I get to control the social situations, and other stuff in them, and can try out problem solving in them.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 1:29 pm

I just started writing a short story off the top of my head, and I'm loving it so far.