Any Trip Hop and other related genre fans? Please Share!

Page 1 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 4:53 am

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 6:43 am

SnailHail wrote:
Trip Hop practically died after the early 2000s in terms of mainstream appeal. The top 5 Trip Hop artist in terms of mainstream appeal I believe are Portishead, Massive Attack, Tricky, Morcheeba and Sneaker Pimps. Sneaker Pimps and Portishead pretty much died out. Portishead's last album came out in 2008 but the album before that was from 1998 which was really just a live version of the album that came before it, so practically 10 years for a new album. Sneaker Pimps is coming back together to make a fourth album but essentially their fans had to wait at least 14 years for it. Massive Attack is able to maintain some mainstream appeal but from what I hear from fans but there was a massive time gap between their two most recent albums which was 6 years.

Portishead's 2008 album wasn't really trip-hop. It with an experimental electronic/noise album with a variety of influences. I liked it but I wouldn't really call it trip-hop.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 7:25 pm

marshall wrote:

Cool. I think this is my new favourite Massive Attack song!

--Aldous Huxley

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 8:12 pm

--Aldous Huxley

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 3:08 am

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 4:40 pm

Just gotta add the Rosetta Stone of trip hop:

I like to throw this stuff on at work for some morning shifts, keeps everyone chilled out until service hits, it really is an underappreciated genre.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 5:39 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Just gotta add the Rosetta Stone of trip hop:

I like to throw this stuff on at work for some morning shifts, keeps everyone chilled out until service hits, it really is an underappreciated genre.

He has such a lovely voice, that music is really easy to listen to.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 8:49 pm

smudge wrote:

I used to have it on vinyl somewhere, and apparently a lot of other people did too, as samples from that track anchor some of the biggest hits in trip hop, notably Glory Box from Portishead:

Then that was sampled for Alessia Cara's Here just recently:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 11:56 pm

Bitter.Sweet also has some good stuff:

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 4:49 pm

Dox47 wrote:
smudge wrote:

I used to have it on vinyl somewhere, and apparently a lot of other people did too, as samples from that track anchor some of the biggest hits in trip hop, notably Glory Box from Portishead:

Then that was sampled for Alessia Cara's Here just recently:

I'm surprised you own(ed) vinyl. I grew up with either tapes or CDs. My parents owned vinyl but I never bought any.

That first song keeps getting stuck in my head, I actually really like it. I think the original is definitely better: the Portishead one is OK, really don't think much of the last one. I think it's just cos I'm not that keen on her voice.

As for the other two tracks, they're not bad, but they're not really my type either. :) My sort of music is more RnB and a little hip hop, and I really admire nice voices. Black peoples' voices especially sound smooth and relaxing to listen to, if not powerful and amazing.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2016, 5:36 am

I've been listening to a whole bunch of different Trip Hop and other related genre artist lately, a lot of old and new.

Just a few songs I like from them.

So glad I stumbled upon Bowery Electric I really like their lushlife album

I really love it when this song reaches the 2:10 mark

I love the instrumentals on this song!

I'm starting to come around to liking more jazzy/funky Trip Hop with this song

I find this song really relaxing.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 5:42 pm

--Aldous Huxley

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 5:49 pm

This song is a bit different--more from the "nu jazz" side of downtempo/chill-out music--but I still really like the beat, and I've always enjoyed Yukimi Nagano's voice, so some people might like it!

--Aldous Huxley

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 1:44 pm

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2016, 1:12 am

Moby, Sleep Party People, Bitter:Sweet, and Hird sound awesome which reminds I'll pick out some Little Dragon songs I like to share later.

Found some other trip hop artist

Crustation I find it sad that these guys only released one album and they use to play with a Portishead member back in the 80s. Flame and Purple are my favorite songs from them.

I found this Nujabes remix of Unkle's Rabbit in your head lights, I almost like it as much as the original.

I think Cibo Matto is underrated, I just discovered them, those la la las are so harmonizing

Mono sounds awesome sucks that they broke up too and only have one album.

This seems like the only trip hoppish song from Dubstar who do dream pop, synth pop, and electronic rock.

I didn't realize I Monster's work was also labelled trip hop so I'll list some of their songs too

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

24 Nov 2016, 4:07 pm

Peace
TK