Any Trip Hop and other related genre fans? Please Share!

Page 4 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2016, 1:35 am

[quote="techstepgenr8tion]This is neat, just found it on Youtube - almost reminds me of a smoother Purity Ring with electronics and beats reminiscent of Sepalcure:[/quote]

I've listened to that duo before, from their song Unfold, it felt too much like the type of music sepalcure makes which is a turn off for me, but skimming through that EP you posted allowed me to give them another chance. I really like "Can I" and "Fantasy"

Found this new artist and this song has a nice mix of downtempo and trip hop

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 10:15 pm

A remix of an Alice Russell song:

--Aldous Huxley

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 10:33 pm

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 10:43 pm

I always felt like trip-hop, at it's core, was something like a UK remodeling of reggae and dancehall - you hear dancehall heavily in tunes like Tricky's Tricky Kid (I can visualize that Jamaican outdoor club from the movie Belly when I listen to it).

This one's reggae-heavy in a way where she sounds like she's partly copping Martina and even throwing some Brad Nowell tricks in for good measure:

And what has to be my favorite oldshool Massive Attack tune:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2017, 4:29 am

I agree you can see traits of reggae and dancehall in some trip hop songs and artist. It is one of the parts of the genre that confused me when first getting into it since I am more into the electronica like area of trip hop. Headspace is a good song it sounds jazzy and really sticks out compared to the rest of the album.

Nice Thievery corporation pick I didn't like them that much because all the music I heard from them so far sounded like it was more influenced by Brazilian, Indian and Middle Eastern music than trip hop.

Massive Attack is starting to grow on me. The Ritual Spirit EP is pretty pleasing for my taste.

Also some DJ Shadow featuring Little Dragon. Yukimi sounds fantastic as usual in this song. The music video is pretty amusing to watch too.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2017, 2:05 am

I've been listening to the Bloom album from Crustation a lot lately and I'd have to say Close My Eyes is my absolute favorite instead of Flame. The lyrics are so good especially the beginning part. The singer's voice just goes so well with it. I'm trying to figure out what that sound played at 2:47 is, it just so addicting.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2017, 12:03 am

Just found another band Earthling, they had 1 LP in the 90s and then disappeared, then released an album in 2004, disappeared again and then they released a new album on bandcamp in recent years. These guys were also friends with Portishead.

Here is some of there early work. Man they're good, it makes me sad that there isn't much trip hop with rap. Some of the few trip hop rappers we have are really good.

Here is the promo for their song Nefisa

full version has some sort of dark funk at the end.

Soup Or No Soup is probably my favorite right now.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 8:21 pm

--Aldous Huxley

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2017, 3:45 pm

Nice share ^

I've been looking at more lesser known modern stuff lately and found this album, Oriental Kaboosh is my favorite on this

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2017, 11:41 am

In recent Trip Hop news Kid Koala released an album a week ago with Emiliana Torrini named Music To Draw To, I haven't heard Kid Koala outside of Deltron 3030 and some Gorillaz songs but I did listen to a song or two from Emiliana Torrini and she is pretty good. Apparently this is Kid Koala's first album without using sampling.

Unkle has released a new single from their upcoming Album The Road. UNKLE also recently opened up their own museum.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 3:11 am

Kid Koala and Emiliana Torrini is an interesting combination. Almost makes me think of Björk a little.

--Aldous Huxley

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2017, 4:58 pm

I found this IDM song that sounds real trippy

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 5:20 pm

Found this one in a Youtube playlist. I'm digging it...

--Aldous Huxley

AnotherMrLizard
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2017, 4:17 pm

this is more downtempo than trip-hop, but I love this song and its unnerving atmosphere. I love Portishead and Massive Attack as much as the next guy, but I thought I'd pick something that hasn't been heard by as many people.

be warned that the music video may be incredibly unsettling for some though.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2017, 4:33 pm

Your share here is welcome, especially if it adds diversity.

I found this clip of Bill Bailey doing trip hop.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2017, 2:30 am

Today I discovered that Gotye has made trip hop songs, I was strolling through random songs, saw Gotye in related videos section and by chance found this

I skimmed through the rest of his album Like Drawing Blood. I like "The Only Thing I Know" the most. It's a shame he is really only known for Somebody I Used To Know.