Autistic writing style versus NT writing syle

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2009, 6:34 pm

Anyone know what's the difference of the two based on your own experiences?

15 Jan 2009, 7:22 pm

Maybe our writing is more concrete while others can write abstractly.

When I write, I tend to write concrete. I think the only abstract thing I was able to write was,

"Sam and Joon got close together and started to do the mattress mambo."

Only the older readers would be able to understand it, little kids would just think they are on a mattress and are doing something with it but not know what they are really doing.

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2009, 7:31 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:

Quote:

When I write, I tend to write concrete.

I tend to write concrete too. Maybe we don't use emotions in writing like neurotypicals too. Everytime I put my emotions in writing they say I write unemotionally. Maybe it's just a different way autistic people write.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 7:40 pm

I tend to have difficulty knowing where to break paragraphs... or remembering to break paragraphs at all... and with run-on sentences and adding unnecessary detail in my writing.

notbrianna
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jan 2009, 7:50 pm

Comma splices and fused sentences are two things that I do a lot.

15 Jan 2009, 7:56 pm

Batz wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:

Quote:

When I write, I tend to write concrete.

I tend to write concrete too. Maybe we don't use emotions in writing like neurotypicals too. Everytime I put my emotions in writing they say I write unemotionally. Maybe it's just a different way autistic people write.

I've been told my stories lack emotion or they say it has some and some say they do have them so I guess every person is different when they read my stories.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 9:05 pm

I forget to properly define characters by appearance, more with dialog. I tend to go back over the story, then have to 'flesh out' the characters with added details.

Kira
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2009, 10:15 pm

I tend to write abstractly, and apparently with emotion too, even though it's my readers who notice the latter and not myself, hahaha.

I've been writing for 5 years, and my influences were for the most part abstract writers, so I guess it grew on me.

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2009, 8:32 pm

Funny, I don't feel I write too concrete. Though in the past I've had horrid problems with weird syntax, and excessively long sentences. I've never really thought about it though, and it may be that I still have difficulties writing in abstract, and of course, not talking about myself constantly.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 5:45 am

Wish I did. It's been my impression that most writers are a few steps away from NT in any given direction, and we all have problem to overcome or styles of our own.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 10:10 am

I've not noticed any real difference between ASD and NT writers. It seems to hinge more on things like educational level.

ike wrote:
I tend to have difficulty knowing where to break paragraphs... or remembering to break paragraphs at all... and with run-on sentences and adding unnecessary detail in my writing.

I had this problem for a long time. My senior year English class had this battle, as I would write entire essays in a single paragraph, with no real introduction or conclusion. My writing was decent, it just wasn't in the format the teacher was expecting. I eventually learned to use paragraphs.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 10:15 am

Orwell wrote:
I've not noticed any real difference between ASD and NT writers. It seems to hinge more on things like educational level.

ike wrote:

I had this problem for a long time. My senior year English class had this battle, as I would write entire essays in a single paragraph, with no real introduction or conclusion. My writing was decent, it just wasn't in the format the teacher was expecting. I eventually learned to use paragraphs.

I caught onto using paragraphs straight away. In fact, I've been told I have a tendency to overuse them, so I have only really short paragraphs.

y es como un semestre"

StarDragger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2009, 12:55 am

pakled wrote:
I forget to properly define characters by appearance, more with dialog. I tend to go back over the story, then have to 'flesh out' the characters with added details.

Yeah, I'm the same way, but I always assumed it's because my characters are based on people I know, so the image is already present in my head, I don't need to create it.

ike wrote:

Breaking paragraphs isn't usually an issue for me, but run-on sentences are a constant headache for me. As for details, I tend to be too concise in my writing, other than when I don't leave enough up to the reader's imagination when I write stories.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 2:24 pm

StarDragger wrote:
pakled wrote:

Yeah, I'm the same way, but I always assumed it's because my characters are based on people I know, so the image is already present in my head, I don't need to create it.

The availability heuristic... forgetting that the person reading doesn't already know what you know. Yeah, I do that... I think everybody does that some.

raggle-taggle-gypsy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2009, 5:16 pm

I read some of a book on famous Irish aspies. Beckett, Joyce and Yeats were allegedly among them. In the section on Joyce, it said that linear narrative was less important than detail. It's this thing about 'living in the present.' Having trouble projecting into the future is a an autistic trait

in the arms of me raggle taggle gypsy-o

BrokenRobot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2009, 7:33 pm

I see a lot of people say they write concrete. I can, but I must say, I infinitely prefer writing obscurely, and do so whenever I can. I'll put some poetry up on here in a bit.