Do any other metalheads/metal fans like post punk?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 12:43 am

I am just kind of curious I mean I am a metalhead, so I love metal obviously. But I find post punk type music to be a nice relaxing alternative sometimes. Like may sound weird to say as a metalhead, but regular punk can be a bit too IDK chaotic but post punk and like goth sort of stuff is like soothing to my soul. IDK its kind of like the anti-matter to metal if that makes any kind of sense...like it has some similar qualities but its like the opposite in a sense. As for the relation to punk well... IDK, I mean I like some of that but yeah I could never be one of those people who identifies as being in a punk scene. Like I said I am more of a metalhead but I have a deep appreciation for post punk and stuff that sounds like that.

Lol the other day a gas station attendent I recognized from a couple times before checked my purchase, and he had a little speaker he was listening to post punk type song I recognize but...I wasn't sure of the band at that moment, I liked the song and thought about mentioning that, but didn't want to sound stupid due to not knowing the band. IDK I overthink things I should have just said 'hell yeah that's a great song' while checking out but I over-analized too much till I made it awkward in my head and then couldn't say anything about it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 2:35 am

Come on are you telling me no one here likes Joy Division?

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 10:08 pm

Yes, I'm a big metal fan and I'm into post-punk and related genres. I love Joy Division.

I agree that it's the complete opposite of metal in a way. The approach is often spaced out and subtle, but it shares it shares a similar darkness.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2018, 1:02 pm

Public Image Ltd., Johnny Rotten's post Sex Pistols band. All you need to know.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2018, 3:56 pm

I like post punk and also the varieties of indie-rock sounds that built upon it in the 90s and 00s. I know what you mean about the soothing nature of it. There’s something unique about the throbbing angular rhythm and staccato guitar texture that makes the music seem somewhat cold and mechanical, but paradoxically very emotional at the same time.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 1:40 am

Me.

I don't think they are opposites at all, they are both dark and moody rock.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 7:30 am

I don't know what post-punk is =)

On Wikipedia's short list, I like Talking Heads. I haven't listened to much of any of those other bands.

I don't know if I would call myself a metalhead though. I don't listen to metal that often, and when I do, it's usually the more mainstream, melodic bands (screaming + drop D djent doesn't do much for me). I don't dress like a metalhead, either.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 11:20 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:

On Wikipedia's short list, I like Talking Heads. I haven't listened to much of any of those other bands.

I don't know if I would call myself a metalhead though. I don't listen to metal that often, and when I do, it's usually the more mainstream, melodic bands (screaming + drop D djent doesn't do much for me). I don't dress like a metalhead, either.

Post Punk is a catch all term used to describe a bunch of bands that formed in the wake of the initial 1976-1978 wave of punk rock. These musicians liked that punk rock was smashing things up and the do it yourself ethos of punk but did not like that it was looking back to the 50's rock and roll and were simple three-chord bashing. These acts were at first described as "new wave" but rock journalists began to label the more adventurous abrasive and less hook-laden "new wave" acts "post-punk"

As with any genre label, what is a post punk sound to one listener is another label to another listener and bands change and mix genres.

I would say a person first getting into post punk should listen to Public Image Limited, Joy Division, Gang Of Four, Mission of Burma, The Fall, Raincoats, Au Pairs, Delta 5, Magazine and pre 1981 Human League among others.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2018, 2:54 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:

Post Punk is a catch all term used to describe a bunch of bands that formed in the wake of the initial 1976-1978 wave of punk rock. These musicians liked that punk rock was smashing things up and the do it yourself ethos of punk but did not like that it was looking back to the 50's rock and roll and were simple three-chord bashing. These acts were at first described as "new wave" but rock journalists began to label the more adventurous abrasive and less hook-laden "new wave" acts "post-punk"

As with any genre label, what is a post punk sound to one listener is another label to another listener and bands change and mix genres.

I would say a person first getting into post punk should listen to Public Image Limited, Joy Division, Gang Of Four, Mission of Burma, The Fall, Raincoats, Au Pairs, Delta 5, Magazine and pre 1981 Human League among others.

I guess it is kind of a vauge genre, I mean basically I started with Joy Division and found some other band that sound simular to that which I figure would be post punk to...like Ghost of Lemora, that's a newer band but they sound really simular so its like a new band of post punk. Also though seems a lot of stuff classed as goth rock/punk also sounds rather post punk like.

Conner42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2018, 3:42 am

Oh, boy, we've jumped down the rabbit hole of music genres! This is always fun ^^

I think the most precise definition I can think of came from a music blogger who talked about how the idea of punk is about how the ideas behind the music are more important than the technique or execution. Generally, punk is a genre where they play power chords over a simple drum beat. They use their limited skills to still play catchy music. Post punk...or, New Wave (there's a lot of overlap), has the same idea behind punk but they try to play more complex things even if they're technique is still really rough. They do more than just play a bunch of simple chords and try to get all of their musical ideas out there even if their technique isn't perfect.

I like Metal, mostly from the 80s though and I like a lot of bands that are considered post-punk but post-punk is covering a lot of different bands with a lot of different sounds like The Police, The Clash(later songs), and New Order. One of my favorite bands Franz Ferdinand got the label "Post-punk revival" at least according to their Wikipedia page, but if we're going with the definition of punk I gave earlier, they completely fit.

I think I can at least compare metal music I like like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dream Theater with a little bit of New Order, especially their song True Faith. It's really heavy and precise the way I like a lot of metal songs. Maybe I my tastes fit in more with hard rock because the metal bands I mentioned are nowhere near as heavy as other metal bands are but that's as far as I can go with this, haha!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2018, 4:33 am

Conner42 wrote:
Oh, boy, we've jumped down the rabbit hole of music genres! This is always fun ^^

I think the most precise definition I can think of came from a music blogger who talked about how the idea of punk is about how the ideas behind the music are more important than the technique or execution. Generally, punk is a genre where they play power chords over a simple drum beat. They use their limited skills to still play catchy music. Post punk...or, New Wave (there's a lot of overlap), has the same idea behind punk but they try to play more complex things even if they're technique is still really rough. They do more than just play a bunch of simple chords and try to get all of their musical ideas out there even if their technique isn't perfect.

I like Metal, mostly from the 80s though and I like a lot of bands that are considered post-punk but post-punk is covering a lot of different bands with a lot of different sounds like The Police, The Clash(later songs), and New Order. One of my favorite bands Franz Ferdinand got the label "Post-punk revival" at least according to their Wikipedia page, but if we're going with the definition of punk I gave earlier, they completely fit.

I think I can at least compare metal music I like like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dream Theater with a little bit of New Order, especially their song True Faith. It's really heavy and precise the way I like a lot of metal songs. Maybe I my tastes fit in more with hard rock because the metal bands I mentioned are nowhere near as heavy as other metal bands are but that's as far as I can go with this, haha!

Well sure Judas Priest and Iron Maiden may not be as heavy as some other metal bands, but they were important bands in the development of metal. Also both bands are still active...I did actually get to see Iron Maiden and they were pretty good but the venue sucked. First they couldn't get all their stage stuff on because there wasn't enough room...but then they tried to do an encore and the staff or whatever shut that down early due to 'sound oridnence. Bruce Dickinson expressed in sort of a joke that he wanted to burn down the venue, with their flame effects. but worded it carefully enough no one could say it was a threat and then said they might come back to play in Colorado but not at that venue.

I was rather ashamed I mean it wasn't my fault but, they're Iron Maiden and that is the welcome they got here in my state :evil: pisses me off.

But also Judas Priest somewhat recently released a pretty good album.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2018, 7:31 am

If I had my way, the dictionary definition of "heavy metal" would be an image of Iron Maiden.

I know most people would disagree, though :roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2018, 12:28 pm

Conner42 wrote:

Getting into seeing patterns and catagorizing them on an autism forum, what a surprise. :D

Although most label the Talking Heads and Devo as Post Punk I don’t. The uber quirky, jumpy acts from that period will always be new wave to me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2018, 9:36 pm

Conner42 wrote:

They might not be the heaviest band around, but I don't think you can get more metal than Iron Maiden. Judas Priest get's a bit hard rock at times, but there is nothing hard rock about songs like Painkiller. Your tastes sound more metal than hard rock.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Conner42 wrote:

Getting into seeing patterns and catagorizing them on an autism forum, what a surprise. :D

Although most label the Talking Heads and Devo as Post Punk I don’t. The uber quirky, jumpy acts from that period will always be new wave to me.

Those bands kinda mark the transition between post-punk and new wave, unlike later new wave bands they still got that punk feel.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 1:20 am

This is exactly why I don't like trying to pidgeonhole music into genres =)

...which really works against me when people ask me what genre of music my own band is. "Idunno...rock and roll?" usually gets an "Oh."

vaguelyhumanoid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jun 2018, 3:25 pm

Yep yep! Tho I listen to post-punk more often than metal, so you could maybe argue I'm more of a post-punk head who likes a lot of metal too. Some of my favorite bands in the genre include Wire, Mission of Burma, Josef K, This Heat, Young Marble Giants and The Comsat Angels. And of course, I love Joy Divison and Talking Heads as well. Remain in Light, Closer, Deceit and Pink Flag would probably be my "big 4" albums for that era/aesthetic.