Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

mikegee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2009, 3:29 pm

i think so:

-he usually didn't look at people when answering their questions. he would either turn to look at a camera, or else look down or else look up and away. check the film, oyu'll see this was quite a common occurence.

-the unmanageable pain from his stomach problems always sounded like a hypersensitivity to pain. ie (pain is a stimulus, much like pleasure, and somewhat kinda sorta like sensory overload)

-he always spoke... differently; articulate, between the lines, idealistically. very intelligent, but as much as he tried explaining himself, he would always try and explain more, thinking that no one was understanding him. (tell tale sign)

-he was bullied daily, both while a student and as a young adult.

-many of his choruses in his lines are heavily repeated lines, usually one or two words repeated

-his peculiar obsessions; collecting odd doll parts, wearing dresses.

-strange habits: breaking a guitar on stage nightly, diving into the drummers drumset.

not that it matters, but i defintely think, yes.

-

mikegee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2009, 3:51 pm

i almost forgot:

-most all the time he had a stoic look to him; no expression. a blank stare.

-i noticed in a lot of films he would have this very stoic look, and the minute he noticed he was being filmed, he would immediately adjust and either smile or frown or wince.

aspiestevetoo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 May 2009, 9:25 pm

Kurt may have aspergers considering alot of aspies are self loathing victims.

ghfreak13579
Raven
Raven

31 May 2009, 2:48 pm

It's very possible that Kurt Cobain had AS. For example, if you look at the performance of ''Where Did You Sleep Last Night'' on MTV Unplugged, he had this blank stare towards the end of the song. Also, all of the stuff described above in this post (weird habits, collections, lack of eye contact, pedantic speech, bullied, smelled fingers, repeated lines of music, an ADHD diagnosis, etc.) could point to AS.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 5:25 pm

I hate to break people up here and derail a theory. Cobain did not have AS, he was bipolar. I have briefly discussed this with people who were in his circle of friends in Olympia, WA. There are a few other people mentioned here that are mentioned that I KNOW are not on the spectrum (Jack White and Connor Oberst being two of them) because I have met them. Sorry to disappoint people, I just know to many people with first hand knowledge of Cobian. Cobian had that unnatural charisma that is common with bipolar folks, his odd behaviors, were actually more in line with bipolar than autism.

mikegee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2009, 5:37 pm

starygrrl wrote:
I hate to break people up here and derail a theory. Cobain did not have AS, he was bipolar. I have briefly discussed this with people who were in his circle of friends in Olympia, WA. There are a few other people mentioned here that are mentioned that I KNOW are not on the spectrum (Jack White and Connor Oberst being two of them) because I have met them. Sorry to disappoint people, I just know to many people with first hand knowledge of Cobian. Cobian had that unnatural charisma that is common with bipolar folks, his odd behaviors, were actually more in line with bipolar than autism.

not to worry; theory not derailed.

thanks for your opinion, but it is as good, better, or not good as anyone else's opinion here.

a circle of friends does not constitute a diagnosis, or more succinctly, a ruling out of a diagnosis.. friends think they know everything about a "friend", when, most commonly, they know much less than they think. especially when it comes to so called friends of famous people. i'm sure they were all so aware of kurt's inner feelings thoughts and concerns (not). if that were the case, how come none of them prevented him from killing himself? maybe he chose to not share this important detail to his "friends". sorry, don't mean to diss you, but i find your post scurrilous.

you dont KNOW who is or is not on the spectrum. only that person and their diagnoser is privy to that info and fact. Having Asperger's does not preclude someone from also being bipolar, and vice versa.

Sorry, but your post is very know it all in nature, and i strongly disagree with your statements.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 5:55 pm

The reason I mention Cobain having bipolar is because he was diagnosed with manic-depression when he was 14/15. Many people closer to him knew he had it.

shazzadee
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 May 2009, 11:59 pm

I have done a bit of research and think that his "suicide" note is just indicative that he was an "aspie", not that he was suicidal. I really don't think it was a suicide note. I know that I may get labelled as a "conspiracy nut", but I am friends with Tom Grant and I agree with his theory.I'm not ashamed to admit it.

And I have noticed that a lot of people believe that Courtney Love has autistic traits. I however think she behaves in a manner which is consistant with a sociopath.

justiceforkurt.com

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 4:16 pm

This is a very interesting thread

alana
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 7:14 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
my guess would be depressive introvert but not necc. AS.

agreed, but it is interesting to think about. He also had health problems that contributed to his misery (pain).

shazzadee
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Feb 2010, 8:38 pm

After much study, there is no doubt in my mind that Kurt had high functioning autism.

If you watch "about a son", he practically lists his symptoms. A most notable quote is that at night he used to "talk to his real parents in space" because he thought he was from a "different planet". He also talked about his stomach pain, scoliosis, unusual gait, poor motor control and clumsyness, as well as repetitive behaviours like listening to the one queen song for hours. He also talked about his giftedness in the arts but didn't do the best at school because it bored him. He spoke about how no one was really like him and how people would often misinterpret his intentions and body language ( not interacting well with NT's), but every now and then he would stumble across someone he would get along with. There were many more examples, but it has been a while since I have watched "about a son".

People often believe that his ADHD and bipolar disorder diagnosis was accurate, however this is consistant with autism more than you could realise. ADHD share a lot of similarities with autism and some (not all) adolescent aspies often start to exhibit bipolar-like behaviour after they reach puberty, a phenomenon that has been referred to in scientific literature as 'autistic bipolar disorder' amongst some psych professionals. There is no way that Kurt could have received the right diagnosis, because asperger's was not officially recognised until 1994.

Seeing that I do not hold a degree, my research holds no weight in the scientific community. I would love a psych professional to research Kurt Cobain and hopefully come to the same conclusion.

This is important, because if I am correct, this could give us new insight into the genius that brought grunge to the mainstream...

The world needs to remember him for his 'idiosyncracies', not his 'suicidal tendencies' (this does not reflect my opinion, I don't think he was necessarily suicidal at all).

AutismMerch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2010, 10:40 pm

starygrrl wrote:

I agree. Kurt was not an Aspie. Not every sensitive, socially awkward, introvert is an Aspie. Yes, there are lots of similarities between Kurt and the profile of someone with Aspergers, but that doesn't mean he had it. There are lots of similarities between introverts and Aspergers, so I understand why people might think he had it, but there are also plenty of signs that he did not. By some of the reasoning in this thread, all introverts are Aspies!

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 10:41 am

He had ADD and was on drugs; of course he's going to act somewhat off. Just because someone is weird doesn't mean they're on the spectrum. How many times are we going to go through this?

Oh yeah, and Nirvana was overrated.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 11:04 am

Delirium wrote:
He had ADD and was on drugs; of course he's going to act somewhat off. Just because someone is weird doesn't mean they're on the spectrum. How many times are we going to go through this?

Marry me.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 2:21 pm

Lecks wrote:
Delirium wrote:

Marry me.

Gladly. I swear to God if I see one more of the "DOES SO-AND SO HAVE ASPERGERS BCUZ THEY'RE KINDA WEIRD/SMART/SOCIALLY STUNTED" topics, I will scream. They're almost as obnoxious as the political bloggers who diagnose politicians that they hate as narcissists or sociopaths.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 4:53 pm

Bi-polar and Asperger's can be comorbid and bi polar seems to be very prevaliant in people with AS.