Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 4:53 pm

Bi-polar and Asperger's can be comorbid and bi polar seems to be very prevaliant in people with AS.

shazzadee
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Feb 2010, 8:48 pm

@Delirium- Fortunately, an educated opinion holds more weight than an uneducated one. I have done the research and I can say with certainty that he was misdiagnosed. The drug use can be atrributed to his failure to connect with NT's and therefore experimented with druguse. Anyone that cares to look into his life and research should at least acknowledge (not conclusively deduce, just acknowledge) the chance that his condition belongs to the autistic spectrum. I explained that it was not possible for Kurt to be diagnosed correctly. Do people actually READ other people's posts' or do they just scour the forums to start disagreements?

BrooxBroox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2010, 11:54 pm

Don't know if he was and honestly don't see why it matters.
What good does it do wondering and speculating whether or not deceased persons had AS? None... because it'll never be proven or set in stone unless they actually received a diagnosis during their lifetime.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 6:45 am

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
As a total Kurt obsessive I don't think it's possible to say one way or the other. A lot of things could be down to depression, ADHD, possible bipolar, drugs or, as I said in a thread in the arts section here the other week, plain weirdness.

Another Kurtshipper here, in total agreement. There's so many traits of his that could suggest AS-tendencies...but these traits could also be accounted for by the disorders suggested here. His struggles with traditional schooling and unusual style of social interaction could be accounted for by ADHD, while his intense feelings of disconnection from the world and obsessive behaviors/fixations could be a result of a combination of depression, drug abuse and possible (but highly likely, imo) bipolar.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Electricbassguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2010, 7:04 am

I think we Aspies have a tendencies to label celebrities we like/adore as Aspie even though they probably aren't.

I'd like to believe Cobain was "one of us" but I don't think that was the case.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 8:12 am

shazzadee wrote:
@Delirium- Fortunately, an educated opinion holds more weight than an uneducated one. I have done the research and I can say with certainty that he was misdiagnosed. The drug use can be atrributed to his failure to connect with NT's and therefore experimented with druguse. Anyone that cares to look into his life and research should at least acknowledge (not conclusively deduce, just acknowledge) the chance that his condition belongs to the autistic spectrum. I explained that it was not possible for Kurt to be diagnosed correctly. Do people actually READ other people's posts' or do they just scour the forums to start disagreements?

Right, because reading about somebody makes you an ~~*expert*~~ on them. You've never even met the guy and you never will, how can you even diagnose him? It's not like you're a psychiatrist or a medicial professional who would at least have somewhat of a clue what they're talking about. The symptoms of Asperger's also overlap with ADD/ADHD, schizoid personality disorder, and NLD. Cobain was diagnosed with ADD as a kid and was f****d up on drugs. Of course he's going to have problems with social skills and emotions.

He had a few symptoms of Asperger's, but it doesn't necessarily mean he had it. A lot of people who are NT (or have any of the other disorders I listed above) have symptoms of Asperger's.

shazzadee
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Feb 2010, 5:13 pm

A few of them? No. I LISTED a few of them; he has pretty much all of them, peculiar mannerisms and repetitive behavours included. I never said that I was an "expert", I said that my opinion was an educated one because I have actually speculated before that he had AS and researched it (all sources referencing scholarary sources, so reliable). Therefore, my opinion would hold more weight than those on this forum that simply voiced their opinion based on other peoples opinions' they have heard previously and THUS making their opinion uneducated. It is true that SOME ASD symptoms do overlap with other conditions like bipolar disorder, ADHD, and schizoid personality disorder, but if he has ALL the common symptoms shared with all of these disorders, PLUS the symptoms that are EXCLUSIVE to autism, one might speculate that his condition must lie on the autistic spectrum.

Did you not read my previous post? Kurt Cobain used drugs to connect with people, not to disassociate from them. But I do acknowledge that generally drugs interfere with Aspies moreso than NT's and thus negative drug side effects that affect mood (and we know that Aspies have trouble with moderating their emotions) exacerbated. So in that sense, he was "f*cked up".

There is NO way he could have received the correct diagnosis, and though people are correct in saying, "there is no way to tell for sure (you can never be 100% sure with psychiatric disorder anyway) that he had AS", it calls in to question this "suicidal" stigma that is attributed to him due to his bipolar diagnosis (which was guesswork anyway).

Even his stomach inflammation that could never be properly diagnosed can be attributed to autism!

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 11:28 pm

shazzadee wrote:
A few of them? No. I LISTED a few of them; he has pretty much all of them, peculiar mannerisms and repetitive behavours included. I never said that I was an "expert", I said that my opinion was an educated one because I have actually speculated before that he had AS and researched it (all sources referencing scholarary sources, so reliable). Therefore, my opinion would hold more weight than those on this forum that simply voiced their opinion based on other peoples opinions' they have heard previously and THUS making their opinion uneducated. It is true that SOME ASD symptoms do overlap with other conditions like bipolar disorder, ADHD, and schizoid personality disorder, but if he has ALL the common symptoms shared with all of these disorders, PLUS the symptoms that are EXCLUSIVE to autism, one might speculate that his condition must lie on the autistic spectrum.

Did you not read my previous post? Kurt Cobain used drugs to connect with people, not to disassociate from them. But I do acknowledge that generally drugs interfere with Aspies moreso than NT's and thus negative drug side effects that affect mood (and we know that Aspies have trouble with moderating their emotions) exacerbated. So in that sense, he was "f*cked up".

There is NO way he could have received the correct diagnosis, and though people are correct in saying, "there is no way to tell for sure (you can never be 100% sure with psychiatric disorder anyway) that he had AS", it calls in to question this "suicidal" stigma that is attributed to him due to his bipolar diagnosis (which was guesswork anyway).

Even his stomach inflammation that could never be properly diagnosed can be attributed to autism!

BS.

All of the symptoms you listed are also found in other disorders. And what are these scholarly sources that back up your opinion? Links plz.

And guess what? It doesn't even matter if he had Asperger's or not because HE f*****g DIED SIXTEEN YEARS AGO. HE IS DEAD. YOU CANNOT DIAGNOSE A DEAD MAN. And you never even knew the man, so how can you say whether or not he had it?

shazzadee
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Feb 2010, 12:11 am

Hmmm. Sigh. I see that I am talking to a brick wall. There is no point arguing this further. If you actually DO THE RESEARCH YOURSELF, you will find that he demonstrates most if not ALL of the symptoms. It was too long ago, I did this research over a year ago, but remember a lot of it because I was absolutely thorough. You have not provided any reasons to why my explanations are wrong, you are just going "no it's not" and that's not apart of a mature and constructive discussion; it's just argumentative. And you can provide an explanation for someone's behaviour posthumously and it be perfectly valid. But nothing conclusive can be drawn except that THERE IS NO WAY THAT HE COULD HAVE RECEIVED THE RIGHT DIAGNOSIS IF HE HAD HIGH FUNCTIONING AUTISM!! !!

Thick.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 8:08 am

shazzadee wrote:
Hmmm. Sigh. I see that I am talking to a brick wall. There is no point arguing this further. If you actually DO THE RESEARCH YOURSELF, you will find that he demonstrates most if not ALL of the symptoms. It was too long ago, I did this research over a year ago, but remember a lot of it because I was absolutely thorough. You have not provided any reasons to why my explanations are wrong, you are just going "no it's not" and that's not apart of a mature and constructive discussion; it's just argumentative. And you can provide an explanation for someone's behaviour posthumously and it be perfectly valid. But nothing conclusive can be drawn except that THERE IS NO WAY THAT HE COULD HAVE RECEIVED THE RIGHT DIAGNOSIS IF HE HAD HIGH FUNCTIONING AUTISM!! !!

Thick.

And I don't think you seem to get that most of the symptoms that you listed also overlap with Cobain's known problems (drug addiction, ADD), and that no matter how thorough your research is, the only way you can really know for sure if he did have autism is if you actually talk to the guy himself. Otherwise, it's all speculation. Diagnosing someone you haven't even met with a disease usually isn't considered good form.

Also, Nirvana is quite possibly the most overrated band ever (besides Eminem) and the only reason why we even remember them so fondly is because Kurt Cobain blew his brains out.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 10:11 am

Delirium wrote:
And I don't think you seem to get that most of the symptoms that you listed also overlap with Cobain's known problems (drug addiction, ADD), and that no matter how thorough your research is, the only way you can really know for sure if he did have autism is if you actually talk to the guy himself. Otherwise, it's all speculation. Diagnosing someone you haven't even met with a disease usually isn't considered good form.

Well...House does it reasonably well. :lol:

Quote:
Also, Nirvana is quite possibly the most overrated band ever (besides Eminem) and the only reason why we even remember them so fondly is because Kurt Cobain blew his brains out.

Word, nothing boosts sales quite like the lead singer commiting suicide. I like Eminem though, most of his stuff anyway.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 3:10 am

Delirium wrote:

Hmm, that's an interesting assessment of the groundswell surrounding their first couple of albums and the hysteria of their live act. If you don't get punk or grunge then fine, you don't get it. But some people got it as soon as they heard it and you're acting like they didn't provide an alternative to the mainstream sludge pop was mired in at the time.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 Jun 2012, 4:50 am

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Art, Writing, and Music]

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 10:28 am

No.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 11:05 am

Not every introverted misfit is AS. It's not impossible, of course, but I think people are far too hasty and eager to slap these labels on the famous, and I often wonder why.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 6:44 pm

Delirium wrote:

BS. The lead singer of Mayhem blew his brains out, and then the bassist MURDERED the lead guitarist. While they are one of the most famous black metal bands few people regard them as the greatest band ever. Also, Nirvana was immensely famous long before Kurt died. To deny the influence of Nirvana on music today is idiocy. They brought Grunge to the mainstream, and now Post-Grunge is by far the most popular form of rock among commercial artists today.

Also, why do I sense so much butthurt? Chillax, this thread isn't hurting you or anyone else.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html