Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LawrenceFAMD
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2005, 5:02 pm

Yep. Including lots of obscure stuff that would take me a long time to list. Back in my teenage years I'd go to House Of Guitars in my neighborhood -- really legendary music and record store in Rochester New York -- and there would be tons of old punk and post-punk records for dirt cheap. I still have some of those records and I'll bet most of them are rare by now...

LawrenceFAMD
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2005, 5:04 pm

Fogman wrote:
Lets not forget these either:

Pere Ubu, Sonic Youth,Chrome, Bauhaus, Rank and File, Butthole Surfers, Lydia Lunch, PIL, and Killing Joke

Lydia Lunch is from my town.

LawrenceFAMD
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2005, 5:10 pm

Relyt wrote:
emo originated as "emotional hardcore" from the 80s.

oops.

It was originally 'emocore' and had nothing to do with what's called 'emo' now. Back in the mid-80s when I still went to hardcore-punk shows, you had 'emocore' which was supposed to be a slower, more musical and emotional version of straight-edge style hardcore punk. The best of those at that time was Soulside -- I think some ex-members later formed Girls Vs Boys or something.

I don't understand where this 'emo' came from, but most of it sounds to me like watered-down Green Day. And I never liked Green Day anyways!

LawrenceFAMD
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2005, 5:14 pm

ramsamsam wrote:
I know, but it's just a group of whiney, middle class, teenagers who cry because their dad won't buy a car for them, or they can't into the pants of some girl at school.
Post-Punk, is typically less abrasive than punk. It strikes me as a much more insular movement than punk, as it spilt in to factions.
You can take the musical ecleticism of bands such as The Fall, New Order, and The Cure as prime examples.
There has been a revival in all that is post-punk with bands such as The Futerheads and Franzferdinand.
I insist that you purchase the following albums if your interested in how these bands sound like they do; Joydivision 'Unknown Pleasures', Orange Juice 'The Glasgow School', The Cure 'Boys Don't Cry', and The Talking Heads 'Fear of Music'.
I'm pretty sure most would agree these are fundamental examples of this genre.
As I've probable said this was pretty much a British movement.

But don't forget my turf had Pere Ubu, Talking Heads (who you've mentioned), Tuxedomoon, Television, Sonic Youth, Big Black to name a few...

LawrenceFAMD
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2005, 5:19 pm

Fogman wrote:
ramsamsam wrote:
I know, but it's just a group of whiney, middle class, teenagers who cry because their dad won't buy a car for them, or they can't into the pants of some girl at school.
Post-Punk, is typically less abrasive than punk. It strikes me as a much more insular movement than punk, as it spilt in to factions.
You can take the musical ecleticism of bands such as The Fall, New Order, and The Cure as prime examples.
There has been a revival in all that is post-punk with bands such as The Futerheads and Franzferdinand.
I insist that you purchase the following albums if your interested in how these bands sound like they do; Joydivision 'Unknown Pleasures', Orange Juice 'The Glasgow School', The Cure 'Boys Don't Cry', and The Talking Heads 'Fear of Music'.
As I've probable said this was pretty much a British movement.

The British 'Post Punk' scene was pretty much that, but the American answer was usually more inclined to experiment a bit more, and as a result were more 'Art Damaged'. Bands like Smegma and Pere Ubu, (who actually predate the '77 punk explosion) as well as Monitor, Chrome, Half Japanese, the Bush Tetras, Butthole Surfers, Mission of Burma, and Sonic Youth spring to mind.

Smegma --AHA! They're still around, and should be playing the No Fun Fest in NYC next year. So my friends in the local music scene tell me...

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2005, 6:31 am

Bands like The Talking Heads and Television I would say were initially New Wave bands.

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 4:33 pm

The Cure

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 7:13 pm

The Killers is post-punk, isn't it?

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 8:52 pm

are the cure post punk? cause i dont really concider them that

Relyt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Nov 2005, 2:37 am

well the good emo bands that i have heard are the likes of Rites Of Spring, Saetia, Jawbreaker, Swing Kids, and Indian Summer. for screamo, i really like Circle Takes The Square, although that's more experimental. also Nevea Tears.

IsthmusWithTrolleybuses
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2017, 6:13 am

ramsamsam wrote:
The Cure 'Boys Don't Cry'

Indeed. What the Three Imaginary Boys album should've been. Another post-punk album I'd recommend is Magazine's 1978 debut Real Life.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 10:19 am

IsthmusWithTrolleybuses wrote:
ramsamsam wrote:
The Cure 'Boys Don't Cry'

Indeed. What the Three Imaginary Boys album should've been. Another post-punk album I'd recommend is Magazine's 1978 debut Real Life.

Magazine were fabulous. So were these groups.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 1:54 pm

Fall Out Boy and Panic! at the Disco are punk, right? Or are they too mainstream to be punk?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 3:44 pm

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 3:50 pm

There can only be one:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 4:38 pm

...I eould agree that not-quite-stricty-defined as " punk " music coming out of the greater punk era was not as British as you seem to feel -And that comment about Americans, compared to Brits, " looking soft " - In their publcity pictures? :lol: - seems to play into the joke some Americans made about Eighties bands of " aahh, they"re haircut/image-obsessed " :P - tbere were Americans in that general range making good music, I think that they were less likely to get some degree of media attention and bigger labels because: (1) A lot of. the Ameticans.were rather more, surface anyway, noisy-abrasive (2) The media and radio and bigger label world was rather less likely to give such bands some attention, and in the far far far larger USA it wad harder for bands, in general, to get around and come to attention, both of those gatekeepers and the general audience (3) At least some Americans were more " hyperindie/won't sell out/ stay away, biv labels " in theiir - Stated, anyway! - attitudes (Big Black, Minor Threat),,,,and ag least some felt obliged to echo that at least to a lesser extent - Think how Nirvanspulled themselves into convolutions about : Oh, boo hoo, are we a sell-out, corporate labels still suck ", etc. :lol:!

now, but it's just a group of whiney, middle class, teenagers who cry because their dad won't buy a car for them, or they can't into the pants of some girl at school.
As I've probable said this was pretty much a British movement.[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!