Have I exhausted all options?

Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 1:04 pm

AngelRho wrote:
I'm a big friends first proponent. I never worry about that making girls uninterested. Reason being if a girl is going to be interested, she will be interested. If not, she won't. And she won't care whether you're friends first or not.

Well, interest is not the reason why I find the friend to partner transition improper. It has to do with getting attached in a romantic way, which for me happens with infatuation, something that won't happen with a close friend. So, I might very well find a girl I'm good friends with a suitable partner, but I don't find it satisfactory to build a relationship only on being friends and getting along. I require more than that.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 1:11 pm

AngelRho wrote:
I'm a big friends first proponent. I never worry about that making girls uninterested. Reason being if a girl is going to be interested, she will be interested. If not, she won't. And she won't care whether you're friends first or not.

To put it another way: if a girl rejects you because you became friends and she's not interested in more, she very likely would have rejected you ANYWAY.

The exception to that might be if you're "just friends," she wants more, and you're stringing her alone. She may not lose interest exactly, but she's not going to waste her life waiting on you. Once she's in a committed relationship with someone else, it makes you look like a jerk to decide THEN to do something about it.

Actually, I dumped a girl once. Out of revenge, she started dating my roommate. Pissed me off, too, which was exactly her plan. We're still together... lol

One of my half-sisters told me she and her husband were friends first before they started dating.

rdos wrote:

I think that is because people are different in that aspect. I'm unable to fall in love with a girl I know too well, so that is why I claim I could never go from a friendship to a relationship. I'm sure there are girls like that too. But then there are people that are fine with that transition, perhaps because they view a relationship as a sexual friendship, and really don't need an initial crush for it to be fulfilling.

So I think it depends on how you function, and the way the girls you want to pursue function. I have a suspicion that it is mostly NTs that will transition from friendships to relationships, but I don't have any data to back that up at the moment.

My older brother seemed to get his girlfriends right off the bat but his relationships usually lead to break ups within months. I think his longest relationship lasted only little over a year.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 1:30 pm

AngelRho wrote:

To put it another way: if a girl rejects you because you became friends and she's not interested in more, she very likely would have rejected you ANYWAY.

The exception to that might be if you're "just friends," she wants more, and you're stringing her alone. She may not lose interest exactly, but she's not going to waste her life waiting on you. Once she's in a committed relationship with someone else, it makes you look like a jerk to decide THEN to do something about it.

Actually, I dumped a girl once. Out of revenge, she started dating my roommate. Pissed me off, too, which was exactly her plan. We're still together... lol

For once I wholeheartedly agree with you.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 1:35 pm

Marknis wrote:
My older brother seemed to get his girlfriends right off the bat but his relationships usually lead to break ups within months. I think his longest relationship lasted only little over a year.

Getting into relationships without dating or being friends first requires better coping mechanisms. If you select a partner you already know very well, and with matching interests, it will be easier to get along. Still, many NDs appear to be good at adapting their interests, even special interests, to a love interest, which means they don't need to have similar interests to begin with and thus can go straight into a relationship. Also, if you put down work on adapting to each other in the beginning, growing apart will be a minor problem, which in the friend-to-relationship context might be a major issue which occurs late because you don't need it in the beginning.

So, as with everything, there are pros and cons to being friends first.

BTW, another aspect of this adaptation process is that many NDs have very narrow and unusual interests, which very few potential partners share, which will make dating hard. In that case, it is much more functional to create new interests based on an actual love interest than adapting more common interests in hope of easier finding a partner.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 1:42 pm

rdos wrote:
Getting into relationships without dating or being friends first requires better coping mechanisms. If you select a partner you already know very well, and with matching interests, it will be easier to get along. Still, many NDs appear to be good at adapting their interests, even special interests, to a love interest, which means they don't need to have similar interests to begin with and thus can go straight into a relationship. Also, if you put down work on adapting to each other in the beginning, growing apart will be a minor problem, which in the friend-to-relationship context might be a major issue which occurs late because you don't need it in the beginning.

So, as with everything, there are pros and cons to being friends first.

My older brother's never had the shyness and anxiety issues that I struggle with. His outlook was that he could do whatever he wanted at the expense of other people's feelings. Sure, he's had more girlfriends than me but he's gone through many break ups, two cancelled marriages, and a divorce.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 4:03 pm

Sabreclaw wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

For once I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Oh? You might have a doctor take a look at that. Do you have any headaches, dizziness, nausea, light sensitivity, or ringing in the ears?

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 5:27 pm

Partly why I brought up the psychosocial moratorium is because I've seen someone else mention missing out on it in his younger days because he suffered from social phobia and never had any friends. He didn't want to give up but it feels like you can't just say you can still learn social rules when you missed out on that particular social period.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 5:21 am

Marknis wrote:
Partly why I brought up the psychosocial moratorium is because I've seen someone else mention missing out on it in his younger days because he suffered from social phobia and never had any friends. He didn't want to give up but it feels like you can't just say you can still learn social rules when you missed out on that particular social period.

Oh, ok. Study up on Erik Erikson's stages of psychosocial development. According to Erikson, the more pressure you have from parents to conform, the more you experience role confusion. This is Stage 5: Fidelity. The identity crisis experienced at this stage happens because you're stuck between everything you learned experienced as a child and what society expects you to be.

Erikson did not put firm age limits on the stages although psychologists have observed general upper and lower boundaries. They've found the stages to be fluid, and I suppose it's possible to revert back or skip ahead as you feel the need.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 8:47 am

AngelRho wrote:
Marknis wrote:

Oh, ok. Study up on Erik Erikson's stages of psychosocial development. According to Erikson, the more pressure you have from parents to conform, the more you experience role confusion. This is Stage 5: Fidelity. The identity crisis experienced at this stage happens because you're stuck between everything you learned experienced as a child and what society expects you to be.

Erikson did not put firm age limits on the stages although psychologists have observed general upper and lower boundaries. They've found the stages to be fluid, and I suppose it's possible to revert back or skip ahead as you feel the need.

My parents did pressure me to conform but they didn't realize that the Bible Belt has changed a lot from the 60's. My grandmother also told me not to drink or smoke because it was "bad" but if I told someone I didn't do either of those things, I'd get weird looks.

teresa_mayhem_downing_street
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jun 2018, 1:17 pm

tell me about it!! i just want to give up everything and just forget it, i feel like i just want to stop going out, close down dating profiles and be a hermit because there seems to be a lack of decent people worth dating , i have not clicked with anyone online i just think relationships are becoming a no go for me! i would really like to connect with someone within travelling distance to be honest, maybe i'm a romantic at heart but the whole dating scene is messed up nowadays!!

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 1:31 pm

BTDT wrote:
Helping out single moms. Busy single moms often need assistance and may make hints that that could use some. This is the chance for valuable social training. And, even if you don't learn squat at least you have done some good.

Diamonds in the rough. Most people become awkward and make mistakes in the presence of someone they are attracted to. Don't be too quick to dismiss a potential partner.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 3:50 pm

Aaron Rhodes wrote:
The only option he hasn't tried is taking an extended break from it. But then again, I doubt he'll even take that route. Sometimes all you have to do is take a step back and breath for a little while. You don't have to completely give up on dating, just take a hiatus for now until you feel confident again.

This.

I had to do that. My situation was a bit different, I did try dating some guys but nothing ever lasted. I won't go into all the details of why I think that is as that could derail this....but I did have to step back and take a break. And it did help.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 4:25 pm

Marknis wrote:

I have been in therapy since 2007. The depression (I don't use the word "my" in reference to it because I don't want to own it) has just been hard to deal with because of how sick the culture I live in is, my home life has been an unending spiral of drama, and there is a genetic component to it since a good number of my relatives suffer from depression as well. I also get bombarded with questions such as "Do you have a girlfriend? Are you married? Are in college? Did you graduate? What's your career plan?" and I get sick of having to say "No..." when I really want to say "Yes!" for a change.

Well then perhaps the therapy you're getting does not help. I admit I never had any real luck with CBT, which tends to be the most common for depression. For me I had to get trauma therapy, I mean it was to help me with PTSD, but even if you don't have PTSD it could still maybe help with setting you free from the past or at least something like that. Seriously though that helped me a lot more than CBT talk therapy.

Also of those questions I can only say I have a boyfriend and graduated high school, no college graduation, no career plan or path.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 5:25 pm

Quote:
Re: Have I exhausted all options?

Yes you did.

Now press alt + F4.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 5:55 pm

The universe is literally made of options so I'd say you're probably fine.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 6:03 pm

Take a break from it, find something to do you're passionate about and try to find groups that share the same interest. Even if it is a 'Magic : The Gathering' related club (And yes, they do exist! What a surprising find), find something you can use to socialize with people, no matter how difficult the interactions might be. Don't look for a partner, because that never goes anywhere...

Let it happen naturally. The longer you search, the least you will find