Men Without Bachelor's Degree Not Marriage Material

Page 4 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 10:01 am

I need to get a few more hours of beauty rest now because I have a lot of "higher education" that needs to be done by midnight. Crap.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 10:01 am

But I know highly educated people who are married, and who are either alcoholics or drug addicts.

Some of them were able to get married because their education and wealth enabled them to hide it from people.

Or they married fellow rich drug addicts/alcoholics.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 26 Sep 2017, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 10:02 am

I'm a non-drinker and non-drug user. And I don't particularly like people who abuse drugs and alcohol.

However, both alcoholism and drug addiction cross socioeconomic lines. It's a well-documented fact.

And I know drug addicts and alcoholics who have high educational attainment and high income.

Saying this, there is no doubt that drug and alcohol abuse are serious problems in people who have low educational attainment and low socioeconomic status.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 10:50 am

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
So if you're a poor, un/under-employed or low-paid man, you're not worthy of having a lover, but as a woman in the same position you still are?

The short answer is: Yes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 10:53 am

It's probably "more true" for men than women.....but it definitely DOES NOT mean it is impossible for a supposedly "lowly" man to obtain and receive love.

In my 20's, I was a pretty "lowly" man. I only had a high school diploma, and I had a lowly job. And I was (and am) 5 foot 4.75 inches tall. And I'm not a hunk. Still, I did okay for myself.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 11:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's probably "more true" for men than women.....but it definitely DOES NOT mean it is impossible for a supposedly "lowly" man to obtain and receive love.

If one of a mans requirements was that a date must have a degree... I know that we couldn't be compatible.

The article makes the suggestion that a degree is a measure of success, but it is referring to well paid degree holders only.

wanderlust77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2017, 12:15 pm

After reading the article my thoughts:
Marriage is outdated, it is NOT going to last till death do us apart so it's kinda pointless. Do it but make sure you cover your arse. If she doesn't like the idea of a prenup, you have your answer immediately.

Unemployed women shouldn't be seen as wife material either!! If you are unemployed, talking about NTs where there are no special circumstances, you are just plain lazy and too picky in my eyes.
If you want to work, you can find a job. There are plenty of jobs out there. Move cities, move countries. In Europe it's relatively easy.
I just remember one of my mom's friend. She was unemployed for 2 years when she couldn't afford to live in my city, she moved to a mate's couch but she still kept her car. She didn't want to do jobs that paid less than her previous job so she chose not to work at all. It's so not logical. I think she is still unemployed, 3 years and counting. This tells a lot about her ability to be independent and being an adult.

Marriage should be between two ADULTS who are capable of living on their own. No leeches "in the name of love"

"The men who were left were less desirable, because they lacked income and were more likely to drink to excess or use drugs."
The thing is if you are unsuccessful and you need alcohol to cope instead of fight and make it happen, you are weak. Weakness makes these men not desirable. Not the lack of bachelor degree.

I might be wrong but a wedding costs awful lot in the US, stupid women want to be a princess for a day but what's the price? Maybe that puts men off as well.

A working class woman doesn't earn enough to support somebody else as well. That salary is just not enough for two. In a working class marriage you need TWO salaries. Men can moan about greedy women all day long but the money is not going to be enough if only one person works. It doesn't matter who.

A woman worthy to get proposed will think about what values she can add to the relationship. All them other b#tches are just good for "fun times".

A man without essential life skills is not a marriage material I would say.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:28 pm

wanderlust77 wrote:
Marriage is outdated, it is NOT going to last till death do us apart so it's kinda pointless. Do it but make sure you cover your arse. If she doesn't like the idea of a prenup, you have your answer immediately.

Unemployed women shouldn't be seen as wife material either!! If you are unemployed, talking about NTs where there are no special circumstances, you are just plain lazy and too picky in my eyes.
If you want to work, you can find a job. There are plenty of jobs out there. Move cities, move countries. In Europe it's relatively easy.
I just remember one of my mom's friend. She was unemployed for 2 years when she couldn't afford to live in my city, she moved to a mate's couch but she still kept her car. She didn't want to do jobs that paid less than her previous job so she chose not to work at all. It's so not logical. I think she is still unemployed, 3 years and counting. This tells a lot about her ability to be independent and being an adult.

Marriage should be between two ADULTS who are capable of living on their own. No leeches "in the name of love"

"The men who were left were less desirable, because they lacked income and were more likely to drink to excess or use drugs."
The thing is if you are unsuccessful and you need alcohol to cope instead of fight and make it happen, you are weak. Weakness makes these men not desirable. Not the lack of bachelor degree.

I might be wrong but a wedding costs awful lot in the US, stupid women want to be a princess for a day but what's the price? Maybe that puts men off as well.

A working class woman doesn't earn enough to support somebody else as well. That salary is just not enough for two. In a working class marriage you need TWO salaries. Men can moan about greedy women all day long but the money is not going to be enough if only one person works. It doesn't matter who.

A woman worthy to get proposed will think about what values she can add to the relationship. All them other b#tches are just good for "fun times".

They shall nominate you for the MRA presidency.

wanderlust77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2017, 1:22 pm

Boo I know you're being sarcastic but I do think like this and that's the reason why I don't have female friends. I had in the past but when it came to topics like this I told them my opinion and they kinda stopped talking to me as apparently I am misogynist.
I do think any kind of relationship should be between two equals and I totally get where NurseAngela is coming from. But the flipside of the coin is always forgotten. What value you can add to the relationship?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 1:28 pm

wanderlust77 wrote:

That sounds like an excellent statement of principles, without anything that should offend feminism significantly. There's a hint of slut shaming in your "fun times" comment, but that's a pretty advanced topic, and it's just a hint.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2017, 1:48 pm

I'd love a househusband, so a degree isn't required, but you have to be intelligent and play video games. Also a non smoker. Anything else can be negotiated. That's me though.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 1:53 pm

I find it sad that we even have articles like this! It's sad that people think that men not having a degree means he is not marriage material.

In reality many men have no control over the economy and how well you are able to get a job. Some men don't go to college for several reasons: not enough money, no time in schedule, can't handle the structure, etc. Also just because you have a degree doesn't mean your life is automatically going to be better than those without one.

Another sad note, many men that are struggling get no help in these problems. Other men and women will crush them into the ground even further instead of helping them.
We usually have to fend for ourselves against a force that is very hard to overcome.

Men are also pressured to do these things with no leeway. Really, many people always judge on what they see instead of really learning about a person and why they are in that situation.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 2:02 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
All the guys can poo-poo the article and say it doesn't matter. However, the article points out that it's MEN who believe they should be the breadwinner and it's MEN who decide they shouldn't get married if they have a low paying job - per the article.

It's because of WOMEN that MEN think like that. They keep hearing from WOMEN, how they wouldn't date men poorer than them.

Duh.

No, men come to these conclusions all on their own.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 2:11 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Let the debate begin......... :mrgreen: This article says a lot of what I have been tooting my horn about.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/upsh ... nt=6&pgtyp

What crapioka. I have a Masters and a Bachelors and only last year met my first girlfriend ever (I'm 40, and she is an Aspie too). My brother and father have zero college degrees between them, and both are married.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 2:25 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
All the guys can poo-poo the article and say it doesn't matter. However, the article points out that it's MEN who believe they should be the breadwinner and it's MEN who decide they shouldn't get married if they have a low paying job - per the article.

It's because of WOMEN that MEN think like that. They keep hearing from WOMEN, how they wouldn't date men poorer than them.

Duh.

I would say it's a combination of the two. Women naturally went for men who could provide for them(especially when pregnant.) Men have always put other men down when they didn't have as much power. Cultural ideas and beliefs are influenced by both genders, not just one.

Same for women's looks! Men went for girls that were attractive, ample hips(help with child birth.), larger breasts(I don't remember what breast size contributed to.) Women put other women down when they don't have these attributes.

*edit* I just think we are in a time where we still hang on to these things when we really don't need them anymore.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Last edited by AquaineBay on 26 Sep 2017, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 2:28 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Duh.

I would say it's a combination of the two. Women naturally went for men who could provide for them(especially when pregnant.) Men have always put other men down when they didn't have as much power. Cultural ideas and beliefs are influenced by both genders, not just one.

Same for women's looks! Men went for girls that were attractive, ample hips(help with child birth.), larger breasts(I don't remember what breast size contributed to.) Women put other women down when they don't have these attributes.

The hypothesis is that human females have breasts that stick out because humans have flat faces. This decreases the chance of the infant suffocating while suckling. In most other primates the opposite is the rule--the animal has a face that sticks out and the mother has a flat breast.