Guys, do you hug girls you don't fancy?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

wanderlust77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Sep 2017, 1:02 pm

For me touch is a big thing, mainly reserved for a partner or very very close friends.
It's confusing for me when a guy, who has aspergers, hugs me like 5 times when we meet. He is not a touchy-feely person.
Is it just me making a fuss about it?
Or does he really feel this close to me?

SilverBoltsisWmax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2017, 1:11 pm

wanderlust77 wrote:
For me touch is a big thing, mainly reserved for a partner or very very close friends.
It's confusing for me when a guy, who has aspergers, hugs me like 5 times when we meet. He is not a touchy-feely person.
Is it just me making a fuss about it?
Or does he really feel this close to me?

Uh maybe he doesn't know any better. Tell him it's wierd to you. I wouldn't do it because it seems weird but I don't hug in general unless it's family because it feels weird and too close to people I don't want to signal romantic attraction with.

But maybe he likes you idk talk to him. Just be direct and talk to him.

wanderlust77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Sep 2017, 1:31 pm

I tried to talk about this but the only problem is that he talk a lot. I mean A LOT. Sometimes I'm not able to say anything for 20 minutes. It's interesting what he talks about it just makes it difficult to ask questions that's why I'm trying to see how it is with other guys on here.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:15 pm

I hug everyone but I try to make it obvious when I'm closer to someone than others.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:16 pm

wanderlust77 wrote:
I tried to talk about this but the only problem is that he talk a lot. I mean A LOT. Sometimes I'm not able to say anything for 20 minutes. It's interesting what he talks about it just makes it difficult to ask questions that's why I'm trying to see how it is with other guys on here.

Slap him till you tame him.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:18 pm

:lmao:

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 4:05 pm

Yes, but only if the situation calls for a hug. This includes long goodbyes and other special occasions, and also social situations where everyone hugs each other as a matter of course. I like hugs, but I often hesitate to give them. I may flinch a little if someone hugs me unexpectedly, but they just need to give me a second to adjust.

Red flags went off for me in your description, Wanderlust. I feel skeptical that this person has autism, or alternately that that condition has the biggest impact on the behavior you describe. Did he grow up in Italy, or in a very friendly church? I don't want to rush to judgment. I'm only reading a few words, written over the course of a fairly short time.

wanderlust77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Sep 2017, 4:18 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Yes, but only if the situation calls for a hug. This includes long goodbyes and other special occasions, and also social situations where everyone hugs each other as a matter of course. I like hugs, but I often hesitate to give them. I may flinch a little if someone hugs me unexpectedly, but they just need to give me a second to adjust.

Red flags went off for me in your description, Wanderlust. I feel skeptical that this person has autism, or alternately that that condition has the biggest impact on the behavior you describe. Did he grow up in Italy, or in a very friendly church? I don't want to rush to judgment. I'm only reading a few words, written over the course of a fairly short time.

He is Irish/English and he was diagnosed. He goes to therapy too as he is hyper alert.
As I said it earlier, it makes me a bit uncomfortable as I have no clue why he hugs me a lot of times. As I said for me hugging like this is for my boyfriend.
If a guy hugs me or touches me I always interpret it as a sign of attraction. But I don't know how it works for other people.
Friends well no, I don't hug them only when I say good bye and only when they are close friends.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 4:35 pm

I only hug or touch romantic interests.
Never been one for hugging or touching, I do so for family on special occasions.

My male friends I had would force hug me. Was uncomfortable. I've seen coworkers hug each other's when one is sad or leaving permanently. I could never bring myself to do that. Though one female coworker who'd come up and talk sometimes hugged me before leaving permanently.

I guess it's just more comfortable for me with someone I like romantically.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 4:50 pm

wanderlust77 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

He is Irish/English and he was diagnosed. He goes to therapy too as he is hyper alert.
As I said it earlier, it makes me a bit uncomfortable as I have no clue why he hugs me a lot of times. As I said for me hugging like this is for my boyfriend.
If a guy hugs me or touches me I always interpret it as a sign of attraction. But I don't know how it works for other people.
Friends well no, I don't hug them only when I say good bye and only when they are close friends.

How one expresses affection in the particular Irish/English culture you mean has more impact than ethnicity, IMO. Being Irish/English sounds difficult to assess with the limited information at my disposal.

ETA You can view this as an opportunity to practice setting boundaries in a fairly safe setting.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 8:58 pm

My female friends and I hug sometimes.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:21 am

Hugs are only for romantic interests or close family. I back off when others want to hug.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:36 am

He probably digs you in some way.

I don't like to hug men at all, and only like to hug women I dig in some way.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 1:36 am

There's a trainer in my gym who likes to hug all the pretty girls who are his trainees, with very nice bodies (only those - i wonder why even those need private sessions) and they giggle with him and like to touch him too, he even plays with their hairs sometimes. 8O

I bet he's having sex with a lot of clients.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 1:54 am

If the situation calls for it, yes. For instance, if I happen to see my former university buddies now (with me having changed school), of course I'll give them a hug at the end of the night. Doesn't even matter whether they're male or female. I'm comfortable hugging anyone as long as it's expected in a sense.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 1:17 pm

For me, a hug is just a hug. It does not convey love or sex at any level, just caring about the individual and empathy.