Page 10 of 12 [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 9:31 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
So why are women ok with being single? I can think of 4 possible answers.

1. Some have suggested that women who want a partner can get a partner easily, this would mean that the only women who remain single are those who want to be single. However, I don't believe this is true.

2. There are single women who do want a partner but they don't say so because they're afraid they'll be criticised by feminists. They've heard other women say "I need a man like a fish needs a bicycle" so they don't want to say they do need a man. They don't want to appear dependant.

3. It has been said that women are more choosy about when, if and with whom they enter a relationship because women bear a higher cost in producing offspring. I cannot confirm or deny this hypothesis, I can only say that I'd be terrified if someone was going to put a 5 pound parasite in me.

4. Maybe men feel a greater need to get a partner because our culture says that successful men have a partner (it does not say that about women). There's a lot of virgin shaming, mostly from men and occasionally from women. This shame might make a man who's only casually interested in getting a girlfriend desperate for a girlfriend.

2. is definitely true. I wouldn't mention being single and not because I might want to towards strangers for precisely this reason. Some feminists just don't react nicely to it at all and act like you are sabotaging their women's rights movement if you say you're not single because you want to and you're female.
It's also not necessarily good to mention it toward males. They'll usually not get mad at an involuntarily single woman but some may over interpret it. As a woman if you're not into casual sex with strangers not mentioning being single avoids misunderstandings(not trying to say that anything worse than an awkward moment of having to explain - no that's not what I meant - would happen but still, I prefer not to have such awkward moments).

3 is probably true too. Though some men on here seem to be quite extreme in their willingness to date pretty much anyone. I don't think most men I meet in real life have that few standards (but most men I meet in real life are university students and they are on average above average in attractiveness).

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 9:47 am

NorthWind wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

1. Some have suggested that women who want a partner can get a partner easily, this would mean that the only women who remain single are those who want to be single. However, I don't believe this is true.

2. There are single women who do want a partner but they don't say so because they're afraid they'll be criticised by feminists. They've heard other women say "I need a man like a fish needs a bicycle" so they don't want to say they do need a man. They don't want to appear dependant.

3. It has been said that women are more choosy about when, if and with whom they enter a relationship because women bear a higher cost in producing offspring. I cannot confirm or deny this hypothesis, I can only say that I'd be terrified if someone was going to put a 5 pound parasite in me.

4. Maybe men feel a greater need to get a partner because our culture says that successful men have a partner (it does not say that about women). There's a lot of virgin shaming, mostly from men and occasionally from women. This shame might make a man who's only casually interested in getting a girlfriend desperate for a girlfriend.

2. is definitely true. I wouldn't mention being single and not because I might want to towards strangers for precisely this reason. Some feminists just don't react nicely to it at all and act like you are sabotaging their women's rights movement if you say you're not single because you want to and you're female.
It's also not necessarily good to mention it toward males. They'll usually not get mad at an involuntarily single woman but some may over interpret it. As a woman if you're not into casual sex with strangers not mentioning being single avoids misunderstandings(not trying to say that anything worse than an awkward moment of having to explain - no that's not what I meant - would happen but still, I prefer not to have such awkward moments).

3 is probably true too. Though some men on here seem to be quite extreme in their willingness to date pretty much anyone. I don't think most men I meet in real life have that few standards (but most men I meet in real life are university students and they are on average above average in attractiveness).

So is it because of 2 we don’t see many single women venting in the Women’s forum?

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 9:49 am

sly279 wrote:
It’s hopeless situation . I won’t stop talking about it. I live it every day it’s hell. Venting about it is the only minor escape I get. If women who don’t do thst want to take it personal i dont know what to do it’s not about you, it’s anout me and thos millions of women who judge men on their job and life status. I don’t rape women so when women talk about all the guys who raped them I don’t take it personal. Why can’t women here just be like I don’t do thst so it’s not about me, unless they do do it and that’s why they get upset cause they feel in the right to judge men based on a archaic system
It confuses me.

I'm not getting upset with what you're saying here, but yes I think everyone, no matter what gender, has a right to decide by what criterion they choose a partner. If women are more choosy than men, that's unfortunate for perpetually single men, but it doesn't make them evil or wrong. It's an individuals choice and all men and women make it - just on average women are more choosy.
I don't think a man is a bad person either if he wouldn't date me due to my acne or my social awkwardness or for whatever other reason and there are many many men who wouldn't date me. It's their choice and their right.

Of course some people might apply criterion that are not good for themselves and they might be constantly single because of actually unrealistically high expectations or they might end up in abusive relationships due to ignoring obvious red flags.

Either way, a man working retail would not be a deal breaker for me but I wouldn't get into a relationship with someone if I think I can be happier alone than with him and I think I have every right to do so.

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 9:58 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
NorthWind wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

So is it because of 2 we don’t see many single women venting in the Women’s forum?

Maybe to a some extent, but I think it applies more in real life than on the internet. I'm not denying that there might be more men who are severely depressed due to being involuntarily single, I'm just saying that, if it seems like all women who are single like being single, that's probably not the whole story.
I personally don't frequent the women's forum thus I don't have a clue or an opinion about what is talked about there and why.
Reason 4 on Retrogamers list may also be very relevant but as I'm not a man I have no personal experience with it. Quite a few men on WP mentioned something about other people's expectations and social status in their reasons for being unhappy single though.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 10:12 am

NorthWind wrote:
I think everyone, no matter what gender, has a right to decide by what criterion they choose a partner. If women are more choosy than men, that's unfortunate for perpetually single men, but it doesn't make them evil or wrong.

Either way, a man working retail would not be a deal breaker for me but I wouldn't get into a relationship with someone if I think I can be happier alone than with him and I think I have every right to do so.

Well said.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 1:57 pm

NorthWind wrote:
sly279 wrote:
It’s hopeless situation . I won’t stop talking about it. I live it every day it’s hell. Venting about it is the only minor escape I get. If women who don’t do thst want to take it personal i dont know what to do it’s not about you, it’s anout me and thos millions of women who judge men on their job and life status. I don’t rape women so when women talk about all the guys who raped them I don’t take it personal. Why can’t women here just be like I don’t do thst so it’s not about me, unless they do do it and that’s why they get upset cause they feel in the right to judge men based on a archaic system
It confuses me.

I'm not getting upset with what you're saying here, but yes I think everyone, no matter what gender, has a right to decide by what criterion they choose a partner. If women are more choosy than men, that's unfortunate for perpetually single men, but it doesn't make them evil or wrong. It's an individuals choice and all men and women make it - just on average women are more choosy.
I don't think a man is a bad person either if he wouldn't date me due to my acne or my social awkwardness or for whatever other reason and there are many many men who wouldn't date me. It's their choice and their right.

Of course some people might apply criterion that are not good for themselves and they might be constantly single because of actually unrealistically high expectations or they might end up in abusive relationships due to ignoring obvious red flags.

Just cause it’s a right doesn’t make it not wrong
It’s a right to say racist things but it’s wrong to.
So I do think superficial women are wrong, it’s their right to be superficial and think they better then men, same as that kkk member has a right to think he’s better then colored people. Neither is morally right. But the bill of rights protects freedom not morality. So don’t misunderstand me as saying they don’t have the right to be superficial and picky, but I also have the right to point out how it makes them a horrible person. Rights work both ways. I think most people would say a white person refusing to date colored people is racist and wrong. A lot of women are classist.

But why do you feel you’d be happier alone then with a low paid guy?
I meet 90% of women’s list of requirements for their ideal guy except the job, car, etc.
So it seems if they take ou the superficial stuff I’d make them quite happy, I have the personality they want, and I’d make them laugh and smile all the time. Seems to me they’re only hurting themselves by rejecting their idea guy personality in search of that guy with a good job. If they gave me and other guys a chance they might find they’d be quite happy despite the lower paying job.

Also reply in general I might add men here are constantly told by women to just date fat ugly women. It’s implied a lot that our singlnesss is cause we only try to date super hot attractive model looking women. And in fair ness when I see women on here who are super picky I’ll point out that It’s likely why they’re single, same as I did to that guy who only wants blond super thin attractive women. If you extremely limit your dating pool you only blame yourself especially when you limit it people who due to meeting all your requirements have great many options. Example. Those thin well off guys have millions of women to choose from. Why would they date a chubby ok looking woman vs a actual model? Likewise for guys that blond model would rather date football players or highly successful men. Both avagery,en and women aim too high ignoring average men and women. All this means is mostly only attractive and middle class and up people get relationships.

I could spend my life waiting for the lottery or I could choose to accept a min wage job.
I accept reality which is something a lot of women need to do. And I won’t date some $40-50 old women who who realize in old age their mistake and goof for guys like me. No thanks. 35 is as old as I’ll live single. If I get a gf or wife before them I’ll keep living otherwise I have no wish to live past 35 or date older women. I won’t reward bad behavior. I want youthful love so that means I need a woman 20-35, preferywith few past relationships so she also has that youthful first experience excitement. Not some 40 old woman who spent her life waiting for me perfect only to realize he doesn’t exist and better settle quick so she can have something. I’m not a participation ribbon. I want to be truely wanted. So women will probably be angry but is what it is. I just want what everyone else got in their 20s that’s all I want, maybe after I’ll be ok with serious settling down relationships with no fun or excitement. I’m not compatible with such women. They had 20 or more relationships and got all the youthfulness excitement and fun I haven’t. They just find me irritating and less of a man as my idea relationship is the one people had at 16. That’s the state of mind I’m in. And probably why I get alone better with 19-25 old women as they still also in that state of mind.

Realistically it’s an impossibility at this point even if some woman did show interest it’s already too late. I should have killed myself at 25-30.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 3:23 pm

^

Clakker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2017, 4:14 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
^

Interesting but this is about the issues register :wink: .

I am one of the 'lurkers' on hurtloam's threads.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 5:18 pm

sly279 wrote:
I accept reality which is something a lot of women need to do.

sly279 wrote:
I just want what everyone else got in their 20s that’s all I want

Wishing to turn back the clock is not "accepting reality" (I'm assuming the age next to your avatar is accurate, naturally.)

sly279 wrote:
If you extremely limit your dating pool you only blame yourself

...erm...
sly279 wrote:
I won’t date some $40-50 old
sly279 wrote:
woman 20-35
sly279 wrote:
with few past relationships

sly279 wrote:
Why would they date a chubby ok looking woman vs a actual model?

Because of this...
sly279 wrote:
to be truely wanted.

I had my first serious relationship this summer (Note: the forum has messed up my birthday somehow, I'm actually 47.)
She's over a decade older than me, has grown up children, etc.
I really, really enjoyed the, ahem...
sly279 wrote:
first experience excitement

Here's the rub.

Q1.) Is a "youthful excitement" relationship better than with someone older and more experienced?
A1.) I don't know, and I'm never going to know. Maybe nor are you.

Q2.) Was my relationship with an older woman better than when I was single and lonely?
A2.) Undoubtedly.

All that matters is whether the person you are with right now puts you in a happier place than you were in before. By idealising what you think a youthful relationship is like, you are cutting off the possibility of having a different kind of relationship, with a different kind of woman, that could be just as rewarding, albeit maybe in different ways.

As for your blatant ageism - I'll let you off, as really I do understand how passionate the frustration can make people, I felt it myself for several decades. :wink:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 6:53 pm

Clakker wrote:

Interesting but this is about the issues register :wink: .

I am one of the 'lurkers' on hurtloam's threads.

Hello and welcome

Yes I know. There's no point doing the same thing and expecting different results.

I can't remember why I started this thread on such a grumpy note. I'm quite excited about beginning my new life in a new place.

I had a dream where this guy I used to like he led me move house and we had a nice time lsughkngvand joking and I woke up melancholy. Can't remember if that was the same day I started this thread.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 6:56 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
sly279 wrote:
I accept reality which is something a lot of women need to do.

sly279 wrote:
I just want what everyone else got in their 20s that’s all I want

Wishing to turn back the clock is not "accepting reality" (I'm assuming the age next to your avatar is accurate, naturally.)

sly279 wrote:
If you extremely limit your dating pool you only blame yourself

...erm...
sly279 wrote:
I won’t date some $40-50 old
sly279 wrote:
woman 20-35
sly279 wrote:
with few past relationships

sly279 wrote:
Why would they date a chubby ok looking woman vs a actual model?

Because of this...
sly279 wrote:
to be truely wanted.

I had my first serious relationship this summer (Note: the forum has messed up my birthday somehow, I'm actually 47.)
She's over a decade older than me, has grown up children, etc.
I really, really enjoyed the, ahem...
sly279 wrote:
first experience excitement

Here's the rub.

Q1.) Is a "youthful excitement" relationship better than with someone older and more experienced?
A1.) I don't know, and I'm never going to know. Maybe nor are you.

Q2.) Was my relationship with an older woman better than when I was single and lonely?
A2.) Undoubtedly.

All that matters is whether the person you are with right now puts you in a happier place than you were in before. By idealising what you think a youthful relationship is like, you are cutting off the possibility of having a different kind of relationship, with a different kind of woman, that could be just as rewarding, albeit maybe in different ways.

As for your blatant ageism - I'll let you off, as really I do understand how passionate the frustration can make people, I felt it myself for several decades. :wink:

Good post

I understand Sky's wish to have someone new and excited by newfound love. I'd always had that ideal too.

But it doesn't bother me so much any more.

Sly you know how you're saying that if you are all a person needs personality wise then a job shouldn't matter. Also if a person is all you need then their age won't actually matter.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 7:41 pm

I love how getting older is seen as a moral failing on women's part.....

Even if you hook up with a young hot chick, she'll get older eventually.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 12:58 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Housing costs increased much more exponentially than wages.

50 years ago people would pay about 10% of their wage to cover housing cost - now a 50% is barely enough.

So that's why I don't own a house.
sly279 wrote:
Don’t need more then two min wage employed people and a ok appartment. Why do most women need multiple cars, a big house, vacations to Europe, etc. why
What’s somfreaking wrong with a happy simple life.

I've seen tons of women's dating profiles that say "I'm looking for a boyfriend who can travel with me" and then have lots of selfies of her all over Europe and Asia.

"I'me looking for someone who can travel with me" effectively means "I'm looking for someone can afford to travel with me". It excludes the lower class.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 1:06 am

Closet Genious wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Who's James Damore?

I posted a link further back in the thread. Keep up Pet. ;)

I wouldn't be defending him. His memo was rife with scientific accuracy.

Even if his assertions were true when averaged across the whole population that doesn't make them true when applied to individuals.

This is such a dumb statement I don't even know where to begin...

First of all, look up the studies, stop saying "even if".

The second part gets me like: Well of course! THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.
Well tell that to him. He's one the one using stupid generalizations. I'm sure plenty of women are bad with IT yet IT jobs tend to attract people with an interest in IT. That's likely to make them more IT savvy than the average woman.
Closet Genious wrote:
Jesus christ retro, you make my blood boil. :evil:
So?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 1:23 am

NorthWind wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

It's also not necessarily good to mention it toward males. They'll usually not get mad at an involuntarily single woman but some may over interpret it.

Then they're shooting themselves in the foot. If I was single and a girl told me that she was lonely and wanted a boyfriend, I wouldn't be telling her how much harder it is for me to get a girlfriend, I'd be asking her out.

No wonder it's hard for these guys to get a girlfriend if they think meeting a single girl who wants a boyfriend is an opportunity to talk gender politics. Maybe that's why I've got a girlfriend and they don't 8)

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 1:56 am

I have never mentioned this subject to a male in real life.