Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 7:56 am

To people who had/have e-crush over someone they only knew/know online, why do you even do it?

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 10:11 am

Sometimes, it's not a matter of choice. Someone's words resound with you so profoundly, that you start thinking about that individual as more than mere text on a screen. Instead, you begin perceiving the person as someone with whom you feel that you could truly relate in "real life" as well, if you were ever to get together. And then you happen to see photos of that person, and...well. :?

~Steve Jobs

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 10:46 am

SINsister wrote:
Sometimes, it's not a matter of choice. Someone's words resound with you so profoundly, that you start thinking about that individual as more than mere text on a screen. Instead, you begin perceiving the person as someone with whom you feel that you could truly relate in "real life" as well, if you were ever to get together. And then you happen to see photos of that person, and...well. :?

You mean that the photos were disappointing?
I must be lucky. In my case, the photos only make me more interested.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 11:05 am

PLA wrote:
You mean that the photos were disappointing?

Oh, no - quite the opposite, which only makes for more pining/yearning, of course.

~Steve Jobs

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 11:51 am

The e-fans annoy the hell out of me and so people who talk about such experiences.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 12:19 pm

So, why did you ask in the first place?

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 12:19 pm

What was your purpose?

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 1:57 pm

^^ why they do it when they know it's a hopeless case, like "falling for" someone living on the other side of the globe? Why they do it?

and this is becoming a crazy trend, even among the normally social people.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 2:06 pm

It's not new :shrug:

Post offices existed long before internet.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 2:08 pm

And it's not always hopeless!

Probably most of the time but not always.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 3:08 pm

its the same as breathing you have no control over it, your body will take over eventually no matter how hard you try.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 3:57 pm

Hopeless? In what sense?

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 4:19 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
^^ why they do it when they know it's a hopeless case, like "falling for" someone living on the other side of the globe? Why they do it?

I have to agree with this. To me it looks like a modern version of medieval knights pining over ladies of the castle and carrying their hankies with them on the Crusades. I'm told those knights invented what the modern conception of "romance" is so I can see the attraction. I can see it, but I can't feel it. But there are people who do feel it and pwer to them. It's just as inexplicable to me as any other sexual quirk I can barely understand, like certain fetishes.

SDFarsight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Nov 2009, 4:27 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:

A crazy trend? You speak as if it's somekind of fashion just to be in with the crowed.

Maybe someone, I dunno, an aspie, might be more textrovert and thus its a good way to break the ice. And because its love?

Have you chatted to someone who you share so much in common with before?

Though you say "e-crush", so you're talking about one-way love?

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2009, 5:08 pm

Janissy wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:

I have to agree with this. To me it looks like a modern version of medieval knights pining over ladies of the castle and carrying their hankies with them on the Crusades. I'm told those knights invented what the modern conception of "romance" is so I can see the attraction. I can see it, but I can't feel it. But there are people who do feel it and pwer to them. It's just as inexplicable to me as any other sexual quirk I can barely understand, like certain fetishes.

Have you read Don Quixoté? You'd love it :o

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 5:27 pm

racooneyes wrote:
Janissy wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:

Have you read Don Quixoté? You'd love it :o

Does seeing the musical "Man of La Mancha" count? :lol: Yes, there is something quixotic (Quixtic) about falling for somebody you wont ever meet.