Can Boys and girls with Autism be boyfriend and girlfriend?

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 5:57 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Ad wrote:
I am an Autistic transgirl and I am far more attracted to Autistic guys than NTs. I have also dated autistic boys online but haven't met one like me.

I think its far easier for us to date one of our own kind than an NT.

I would agree. While there can also be pitfalls in relationships between two spectrumites, they don't have to deal with having to read hidden cues and hints that non-spectrumites often give.

Most people have argued that on the basis that spectrumites tend to understand their personal struggles and have a certain tolerance for their odd behaviors for the reasons why two spectrumites can have a successful relationship.\

I also agree.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 6:03 pm

Descartes30 wrote:
I would have really liked to try. But I've never had a female aspie be attracted to me. It seems like it would be nice to try a relationship with someone that can at least relate to me some.

Also, female aspies are sort of a rarity.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 6:04 pm

Northeastern292 wrote:
Descartes30 wrote:
I would have really liked to try. But I've never had a female aspie be attracted to me. It seems like it would be nice to try a relationship with someone that can at least relate to me some.

Not as rare as you think.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 8:11 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Northeastern292 wrote:
Descartes30 wrote:

Gotta agree. I'm probably one of the first identified males on the spectrum in my extended family, however, my dad has a few female 1st cousins on the spectrum.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2010, 12:55 am

i'm a female aspie. But it is true that those in my family with aspie-like traits are all men.

EL60
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2010, 4:19 am

yes of course we are like any other people out there with Aspergers or Autism and like a millon of us that are in a realtionship or either happly married with a disablity.

moonnymph
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2010, 6:25 pm

I would definitely say yes, it helps to have a better understanding of where someone is coming from. The couple that the movie Mozart and the Whale was based on are a good example, they are married in real life. Gives the rest of us hope that there is someone out there that will truly get us. :)

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2010, 6:12 am

I would say yes it can be possible, but in my case, since I am a more socially aware non-NT, I mainly like NT girls.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2010, 7:44 pm

Agreed. Both of my ex's were slightly off beat (my first was dyslexic and my most recent one, who I'm pretty good friends with still is hearing impaired).

Does anyone smell an MTV show here?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Jul 2010, 8:16 pm

I think two autistic people can have a successful relationship together because they mite could both understand each other & relate better than an autistic & an NT could but I think a lot of it could depend on both of them as individuals. There's much more to a person than autism & NTism(not sure if this is a real word or I made it up but I like it & will use it) & both their other individual characteristics will make or break it if this makes sense :?
Also a major limiting factor would be both autistic people finding each other. I do not know anyone offline who is autistic & when it comes to autism awareness my area has their heads up a muddy swamp. It's going to be next to impossible for me to find anyone else who is autistic in my area. NTs are much much more common so I'll be extremely limiting myself if I only want to find an autistic but I'm still looking & looking for NTs or any woman who will give me a chance.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2010, 8:26 pm

kc8ufv wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Northeastern292 wrote:
Descartes30 wrote:

Gotta agree. I'm probably one of the first identified males on the spectrum in my extended family, however, my dad has a few female 1st cousins on the spectrum.

They're not as rare, but I guess they're not as often as identified, as this ABC News clip shows.

em_06
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jul 2010, 5:59 pm

My boyfriend and I are both on the Autism Spectrum with a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome. I think it could work out, my boyfriend and I have been dating for over a year now and are very happy with each other. There's a book called Mozart and the Whale: An Asperger's Love Story that might interest you. It's written by a couple, Jerry and Mary Newport, who are married living in Tucson, Arizona. They also made a movie based on the book called Mozart and the Whale!

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 9:54 pm

Me and Suiseiten are dating.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 4:57 pm

I think so, as I've been with my boyfriend for a while, and I think he has Aspie traits. He knows about my Asperger's as I explained that it's why I seem a bit different at times and that I might not have a variety of facial expressions. He's still with me, while someone who is NT might have left. He also told me that he was diagnosed with some learning disability growing up, but the only things he knows about Asperger's is what I told him.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 11:00 pm

For me personally, I think it'd be hard. I can hardly stand myself. I don't know how I could put up with someone else like me!

Plus the affection issue would suck. I'm actually not affectionate AT ALL except with the person that I have feelings for. Then I wanna be very affectionate.

Then again I can't imagine sharing my bedroom with someone, or my bed. Another Aspie could get that...

Maybe I should just get a friend w/benefits.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 11:06 pm

I think NT-ism is just as broad of spectrum as AS. I do wonder though. So far the only people (even the ones I disagree with) I get along with are on the spectrum or have some severe disorder like BP. What's funny is BP "Bipolar Disorder" and AS are polar opposites yet it seems they're the two extremes I've been able to socialize better with.