How do you tell when two people are a couple?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 10:01 pm

I can't figure it out unless there is excessive hand holding and other PDAs.

Some people asked me if I was dating a few of my guy friends. One I just talk to sometimes, the other I sit next to in my only class with him and we play a variation of tag at lunch with his friends.

Can anyone explain to me how people would come to such a conclusion?

Forever in debt to your priceless advice

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 10:31 pm

Easy: A lot of people think boys and girls can't be just friends. They think sooner or later, the boy will like the girl or the girl will like the boy, and they'll either have to go out or stop talking, because once you go out and it doesn't work, you usually can't go back to being just friends.

ArtemisHolmes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 7:06 am

Exactly what sacrip said. It's happened to me a bunch at school, and girls even sometimes tell me that they don't want me talking to them as often because others might think we're in a relationship. Huh... I just realized that that's kinda mean. Anyways, people think guys and girls can't just be friends forever. If they are, one is homosexual. I guess it's because the boundaries as friends and as boyfriend/girlfriend overlap. If you're friends, you enjoy each others' company. The same for a relationship.

Happy birthday, me.

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 12:07 am

Now, here's a confusing thing.

I had a dream about this one guy friend (the one I play tag with) and in it, he is a zombie trying to convince me that it's fun to be a zombie, chases me around school, and then tries to bite me.

My friend says that this has funny implications, but I don't know what she's hinting at.

Also, this friend said that many people think we should be together and she said that the time he and I were sharing an umbrella during a rainy football game seemed (to others) that this was an indicator that I like him/we were going out or something.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Forever in debt to your priceless advice

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 1:13 am

A dream is just a dream. They don't always mean something. As for the other thing, there's only one thing that matters: Do YOU want to go out with his as boyfriend/girlfriend? If you do, ask him out. If you don't, then keep everything the same. Don't let a bunch of kids make decisions for you.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 3:30 am

I've found that when male/female friends are close, many believe there's more to the relationship than just friendship. There are also many things that 'just friends' are apparently not supposed to do. Sharing things that put you in physical contact with each other, for example, is one of these things.

Sharing a sleeping area, sharing an umbrella, doing affectionate things like playing tag... etc.

As for the dream, it could mean any number of things or nothing at all. It's up to you to decide if it mirrors emotions you're having or situations you've been in or are currently in.