The Bar. (L&D's own chatroom)

Page 2 of 88 [ 1404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 88  Next

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 3:15 pm

How accute! You obviously have already figured it out.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 4:59 pm

Hmm, too bad there's no cute homos in this bar. I guess I'll just have to talk to you guys instead. :P

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 5:23 pm

Goldfish, this is something I have wondered ALL OF MY LIFE [maybe before. I can't remember much before then] but, is there much of a difference between an Autistic on-line bar and an IRL gay bar? Ive' just...always wondered [hic]

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 5:52 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Hmm, too bad there's no cute homos in this bar. I guess I'll just have to talk to you guys instead. :P

You could pretend Vicky is a cross dresser.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 5:58 pm

She's too much WOMAN for that!! !! !

She drives me crazy with that belly-dancer outfit!! !

Why must she torture me so?

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 6:08 pm

SoftwareEngineer wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

You could pretend Vicky is a cross dresser.

But...I don't wear clothes very often. Didn't you see my picture?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 6:36 pm

^ I was going to say first she'd have to wear some clothes.. :P

vickygleitz wrote:
Goldfish, this is something I have wondered ALL OF MY LIFE [maybe before. I can't remember much before then] but, is there much of a difference between an Autistic on-line bar and an IRL gay bar? Ive' just...always wondered [hic]

Wouldn't really know since I've only ever been to gay bars a few times in my life - not really my scene. And all the bars I've bartended at were just regular bars vs. gay bars. But I suppose there are some similarities in that gay bars tend to be filled with some eccentric people & chances are there are several guys there on the spectrum whether they know it or not. I assume this since I've read that it's statistically more probable for gay people to be on the Autism spectrum than straight people. Chances are I'd only really go to gay bars if I was going with a friend or group that really wanted to go to one. Then again, who knows, maybe at some point in the future I'll actually enjoy going to some of them sometimes. Never know. In the meantime I don't really go to regular bars, either, especially since I almost never drink at all anymore. Most of the times I've ever gone to bars is when I was working at them and making money to be there, otherwise I can't really be bothered unless it's for a friend's birthday or something like that.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 6:53 pm

About 35 years ago I used to go to male gay bars with my female best friend. Neither of us were "fag hags" as some people called women who were basically groupies. Kathy loved to dance. Her husband did not. He was too jealous [ took him over 40 years to discover he had reason to be jealous] to feel comfortable with her going to a regular club, but had no problem with her going to a gay club. So, we did. For some strange reason, no one there ever sent over free drinks.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 7:03 pm

lol @ the free drinks comment.. gee, I wonder why not... :? :P

Girls have been going to gay bars to dance for years so that they can go dancing w/o being hit on by guys. It's become fairly common knowledge now, so more straight guys have been going to gay bars to hit on straight girls.

Once, while I was working on a construction site I overheard some guy say "if you go to Celebrities, you're a fag." (It's a gay nightclub, probably the most popular in Vancouver - I've never been there.) and the other guys responded and said "everyone goes to Celebrities, it's not really like that anymore." I didn't say anything because I didn't know any of them, but it was interesting to overhear.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 8:27 pm

Okay, since no one's making with the drinks, I'll supply one that I've been enjoying recently, the Gold Cup:

3/4 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz 1/1 simple syrup
1 1/2 oz gold rum, preferably Jamaican
1/2 oz Maraschino (the liqueur, not the cherries or their juice)
1 tsp Pernod
3 drops almond extract

Shake with ice until the shaker is frosted, about 15 seconds, pour into a chilled cocktail glass or Champagne coup, garnish with a lime twist.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 9:03 pm

That sounds good,how sweet is it?I like my mixed drinks on the not so sweet side,it seems like if they are really sweet to begin with,they just keep getting sweeter to the point of being cloying.I never liked rum and coke because of this.Coke is just fine on its own,but something about the rum just makes it seem sweeter.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 11:19 pm

^
Not too sweet, the lime is tart enough to balance out the simple syrup and the liqueurs, and you can always adjust it to taste. The easiest way is to use a straw with your finger over one end to pull a small taste out of the shaker before you pour; if it's too sweet, add more lime, too sour, add more simple syrup or Maraschino, more rum if it tastes weak, etc. You'll see bartenders in serious cocktail bars do this, it's like a chef checking the salt at the last minute before sending out a dish.

If you really don't like sweet drinks, you can make a Hemingway Daiquiri, also known as a Papa doble:

3 oz light rum
1 1/2 oz fresh lime juice
1 1/2 oz fresh grapefruit juice
1 oz Maraschino liqueur
enough crushed ice to fill a 12 oz glass

Put it all in the blender and blitz it until it's smooth.

These things go down easy, but pack a lot of liquor, so unless you've got the tolerance of Old Papa, who'd down a dozen or more of these things at a sitting, take it easy. :wink:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 11:23 pm

^
If either of those sounds complicated, I also love a good Salty Dog, which is just a vodka and grapefruit highball with a salt rim. You just run a cut grapefruit around the rim of an old fashioned glass and dip it in kosher salt, pour in ice and a shot of vodka, and juice the grapefruit on top of it to fill. Great eye opener in the morning.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 11:45 pm

Hmmmm. You seem to know a lot about sophisticated, alcoholic, mixed drinks for being Autistic.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 11:54 pm

I'll have a Sarsaparilla, neat... and make it in a dirty glass.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 11:58 pm

^
Aspies can't also be day drinking alcoholics who get bored easily? Or in my case, former bartenders?