Aspie dating an Aspie. Advice?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Crazyshy42
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 May 2016, 11:17 pm

Hello everyone! I would love your guys' thoughts on this matter! I haven't had much luck at all in the dating field, until recently I came across a local guy around my age who has Aspergers too, and he seems interested in me. However, it's rather difficult to have a convo with him because his mind goes all over the place and doesn't stay on a single subject. I could be talking about animals one moment, and the next he'll tell me a random fact about Ancient Rome and then about Batman. I have Aspergers too, but it seems we're on different spectrums and social skill levels. Any advice on how I can make this work? I really want it to work out because I think my best bet is dating another Aspie, since probably only an Aspie would understand my personal quirks and be accepting of me. He does seem rather nice too. Is there perhaps a way to guide him about social skill tips without being offensive to him?

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2016, 12:35 am

It seems that, like about half of autistic people, he has ADD or ADHD too; that would explain why he is all over the place in a conversation. I have ADD and I'm often like that too, I sometimes just change the subject to something completely different when I get tired of the current subject which usually doesn't take long unless I am talking about a special interest or something like that in which case I hate it when the topic changes. It's not really a social skills thing as much as it is getting board and wanting to move on to something else. As for if there is anything you can do about it, I'm clearly not the guy to ask because I still do that a lot. I have also gotten distracted multiple times just when writing this post.

If you want to bring it up with him then I suggest you ask if he has ADD or ADHD when he does it next. It's not a question that anyone should take offense to (especially since you have a pretty good reason to suspect it) and if he does then you will learn something new about him.

I wish you luck!

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art