Are women's standards really this high?

Page 2 of 12 [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 6:56 pm

Reminds me of a few years back when I was in the middle of trying online dating for the second time. I started a thread I believe titled "what is with women's obsession with travel?". EVERY SINGLE profile I looked at mention loving travel, most mentioned that their passport was their favourite possession and nearly all of them had pictures of them at Machu Picchu, the Great Wall of China or the Golden Gate Bridge. I was so frustrated I once yelled out "are there any $@#$@# women who want to do ANYTHING but travel the world?" I was even beginning to suspect these were fake profiles until I actually met a couple of them.

I even once asked a date who worked a basic job flat out "how the heck can you afford to take several international trips a year?" She was obviously offended but I didn't care: it was obvious she was up to her eyeballs in debt and guess who would have been paying those bills off? Sure I would have loved to travel the world but I am not rich and value financial stability. There must be a God because I later met someone who said within minutes of the first meeting "I have never married, never engaged and I don't like to travel". I didn't wait long to marry her!

As my wife pointed out, it's funny how these types of women have such long laundry lists but never mention what they have to offer. No wonder they are chronically single!!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 7:06 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Just another bitter female author trying so hard to justify why she's still single - the internet is full of them.
They're always so obssessed in making long lists of what they find unattractive.
Perhaps. She looks very pretty but she also looks arrogant.

She wrote that she has an extensive dating history. Perhaps with her good looks she can get dates very easily but perhaps her arrogant, abrasive demeanor scared them away after a few dates, meaning she's unable to form a long term relationship.

I've observed that some very pretty girls have a chip on their shoulder because they've gone their whole lives with guys bending over backwards for them so if you don't do likewise they take offence.

Of course this is far from universal, there are also plenty of very pretty girls who are nice and well adjusted.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 7:20 pm

sly279 wrote:
I never had a passport, I don't like traveling nor can I affford to. So why would I waste $165 on something I'd never use
Yeah. She says "It's pretty cheap to go to the postal service and fill out an application for a passport".

Honestly if someone spends $165 on something they don't need, they're a fool. As I said in my opening post, she doesn't just expect guys to have a passport, she expects guys to have a willingness to travel, on a whim and just GO.

So if she's dating a guy she expects that if she suggests they go to Europe or Asia on short notice he should just go with her. That trip could cost thousands of dollars each. That could wipe out his savings. Just for her whims? Also most jobs won't let you take leave at such short notice.

If she thinks $165 is pretty cheap then she clearly has middle class privilege. Jetting off to Europe or Asia whenever it takes your fancy is also a sign of middle class privilege.

Why is it these intersectional SJWs always focus on male privilege, white privilege and cis privilege but they never mention class privilege?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 7:29 pm

I also like to travel. I know there is a mileage club you join and you use that card to buy things and pay your bills and every dollar you spend you earn a point and it's one mile per point I believe. They do expire but the thing is I don't spend money quick enough to earn enough points so therefore I wouldn't earn them quick enough to be able to use them because they do expire. My mom spends hours planning her trips before going and she spends a long time on the phone about it while buying tickets and stuff and she says all that is overwhelming.

But the reason why I don't travel is because I can't afford it and plus it takes organization and making decisions on where to go. Even NTs find this overwhelming when they plan and buy tickets and make reservations and all but I sense they don't get overwhelmed to the same degree as me. It's like I don't have patience so I get anxious. My mom had to help me when I decided to just go to Wisconsin and go to my aunt's wedding reception and show off my kids and also I would get to see my whole family again and also my husband would get to see Wisconsin and my children would have the experience of flying on a plane and also traveling far even though they wouldn't remember it. But however if there is a place I would really love to go to, then it makes it easier to go to. All I would have to do is buy plane tickets and then find a hotel room to reserve and then go look at what else there is to do there besides one thing I have on my mind. Also another thing on my mind is I don't think I can afford it. The reason why we afforded Wisconsin was because we used our tax return money and we spent about $2,000 roundtrip total and that included car rental for a week and plus a hotel room and then we spent more because of gas and things we did for fun and food.

I wonder how an aspie manages to travel and plan their trips if they have poor executive functioning skills because I think it takes that to do this. I did see one aspie online who has her blog Aspiewriter and she does this despite having poor ED skills so I find that amazing. How she can do this but not be able to clean her house and do her other daily stuff and how she manages to be a parent because that also takes ED skills. But she could be wondering the same about me, "how do you do your laundry and sweep and vacuum and do the dishes but yet have a hard time planning your travels and find it so overwhelming?"

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 8:06 pm

Jacoby wrote:
How is needing travel for leisure different from what is deemed materialism?
The hipster millennial crowd seems to think that travel is different from materialism.

If you spend $3,000 on a high end computer, they think that's materialism but if they spend $3,000 to see Machu Picchu then they say it's "spiritual enlightenment".

If they flood their Facebook, Instagram and Twitter with dozens of selfies from Machu Picchu, then I'd say it's conspicuous consumption.
Jacoby wrote:
I just don't care to be lectured about how 'All Lives Matters' is offensive by very sheltered and very privileged white girls who are taking their first sociology class.
I don't understand why they say "all lives matter" is a racist phrase.

"All lives matter" is literally the most unracist phrase I can think of.

It seems like the SJWs want to divide people. Remember, Martin Luther King wanted to unite people. What would Martin Luther King think of the SJWs?
GiantHockeyFan wrote:
Reminds me of a few years back when I was in the middle of trying online dating for the second time. I started a thread I believe titled "what is with women's obsession with travel?". EVERY SINGLE profile I looked at mention loving travel, most mentioned that their passport was their favourite possession and nearly all of them had pictures of them at Machu Picchu, the Great Wall of China or the Golden Gate Bridge.
GiantHockeyFan, it's still the same. There are still many girls on OKC with pictures of them in front of the Taj Mahal, etc. They invariably say they want a BF who'll travel with them.

I saw one profile that said "I love my job because it funds my adventures". She saves all year and then goes oversees every January. I think this mentality is very common among a lot of people. She collects countries she's been to the way I collect Super Nintendo games (except that Super Nintendo games don't cost as much).

The thing I find off-putting, is that she spends all her savings on travel. I would have more confidence in the financial stability and general intelligence of someone who saves $5,000 per year towards a nestegg than someone who saves $5,000 per year and then blows it all on a big vacation in January. This girl will never be able to have investments, buy her own house or have a comfortable retirement.

Unless her retirement plans involve inheriting money from her middle class parents. Perhaps she'll become a homeowner this way as well. Not an option for me as my parents are dirt poor.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 8:19 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:

Because it's said by white supremacists, or at the very least those who have enjoyed white privilege in America, in a cheeky way that discounts the meaning and value of the Black Lives Matter movement as if to tell them to stfu and stop whining about generations of systemic oppression.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 8:24 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
http://www.thefrisky.com/2015-05-12/25-types-of-men-im-absolutely-tired-of-at-25/

After reading this article I felt kind of devastated. I don't blame women for having standards but apparently I don't meet them.

I'm not very good at cooking and I fail especially hard at number 11.

Yes I'm in my late twenties and yes I don't have a passport. Does this make me immature for my age?

On dating profiles I've read a lot of girls who talk about their vacations in Asia, Europe and America. They say they want a guy who can go on more vacations with them.

The reason why I'm not willing to hop on a plane and GO at a moments notice is because I just can't afford it!

If I was dating a girl and on short notice she proposed two weeks travelling across Europe, the combined cost of my airfare, accommodation, travel insurance and train tickets for Europe's high speed rail network would be thousands of dollars.

Also I couldn't get two weeks leave from work at short notice and she did say she wanted to date a guy with a career.

I know the author of this article does not represent all women and not all women are the same but does she represent the typical woman?

If so, I'm worried that I'm below par. Honestly I'm a little immature for my age. I've only had a serious job for 2 years, I've only lived out of home for 3 years, I don't have a university degree (unlike the author of this article), I haven't travelled overseas (unlike the author of this article) and I don't have a large amount of dating experience (unlike the author of this article).

Remember, that while I'm 29, the author is 25. She's 4 years younger yet she seems to have much more life experience than me.

So if I went on a first date with a similar girl, a few years younger than me, who had a university degree, had travelled to Europe and Asia and had accumulated a large amount of dating experience over the last decade, would she see me as inadequate?

That one woman's standards are that high. That is really all you can infer from this. Stop making it about all women, because you saw this one profile on an online dating platform. This line of questioning is SO TIRED on this forum. Seriously guys, find something new to ask questions about, because the answers to these old questions don't seem to be sinking in, no matter how many times you are provided with answers.

Maybe it even indicates a pattern with women who use online dating platforms. That is still not representative of all women, so stop with the needing to generalise the individuals to represent whole groups of people, already. It's a waste of your time intellectually and emotionally/psychologically.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 8:29 pm

wilburforce wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
http://www.thefrisky.com/2015-05-12/25-types-of-men-im-absolutely-tired-of-at-25/

After reading this article I felt kind of devastated. I don't blame women for having standards but apparently I don't meet them.

I'm not very good at cooking and I fail especially hard at number 11.

Yes I'm in my late twenties and yes I don't have a passport. Does this make me immature for my age?

On dating profiles I've read a lot of girls who talk about their vacations in Asia, Europe and America. They say they want a guy who can go on more vacations with them.

The reason why I'm not willing to hop on a plane and GO at a moments notice is because I just can't afford it!

If I was dating a girl and on short notice she proposed two weeks travelling across Europe, the combined cost of my airfare, accommodation, travel insurance and train tickets for Europe's high speed rail network would be thousands of dollars.

Also I couldn't get two weeks leave from work at short notice and she did say she wanted to date a guy with a career.

I know the author of this article does not represent all women and not all women are the same but does she represent the typical woman?

If so, I'm worried that I'm below par. Honestly I'm a little immature for my age. I've only had a serious job for 2 years, I've only lived out of home for 3 years, I don't have a university degree (unlike the author of this article), I haven't travelled overseas (unlike the author of this article) and I don't have a large amount of dating experience (unlike the author of this article).

Remember, that while I'm 29, the author is 25. She's 4 years younger yet she seems to have much more life experience than me.

So if I went on a first date with a similar girl, a few years younger than me, who had a university degree, had travelled to Europe and Asia and had accumulated a large amount of dating experience over the last decade, would she see me as inadequate?

That one woman's standards are that high. That is really all you can infer from this. Stop making it about all women, because you saw this one profile on an online dating platform. This line of questioning is SO TIRED on this forum. Seriously guys, find something new to ask questions about, because the answers to these old questions don't seem to be sinking in, no matter how many times you are provided with answers.

Maybe it even indicates a pattern with women who use online dating platforms. That is still not representative of all women, so stop with the needing to generalise the individuals to represent whole groups of people, already. It's a waste of your time intellectually and emotionally/psychologically.
Yeah you insist but many guys here on the forum have found it hard to meet a woman in their own experience. If women are meant to be so diverse and oh so accepting than the question is why are so many men finding it hard to find someone who appreciates them?

I am not saying that women dislike these men but we can't deny the existence of these standards Wilburforce. Their is some level of them. And for autistic people and can be hard to reach them.

Last edited by Shahunshah on 31 Dec 2016, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

voidofcontext
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Dec 2016, 8:35 pm

I'd hazard that a part of it could be explained by the immensely negative vibe towards women that is exuded in these threads bleeding in to the real world and tainting their opinions.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 9:01 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

Because it's said by white supremacists, or at the very least those who have enjoyed white privilege in America, in a cheeky way that discounts the meaning and value of the Black Lives Matter movement as if to tell them to stfu and stop whining about generations of systemic oppression.
Oh. That makes sense.
wilburforce wrote:
That one woman's standards are that high. That is really all you can infer from this. Stop making it about all women, because you saw this one profile on an online dating platform.
When did I make it about all women? Where did I say she was representative of every single woman?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 9:11 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
Yeah you insist but many guys here on the forum have found it hard to meet a woman in their own experience. If women are meant to be so diverse and oh so accepting than the question is why are so many men finding it hard to find someone who appreciates them?

I am not saying that women dislike these men but we can't deny the existence of these standards Wilburforce. Their is some level of them. And for autistic people and can be hard to reach them.

Because the internet provides an infinite soapbox for people to voice their complaints. It's the same with product reviews. You don't hear all the great things about a product that people love nearly as much as you hear complaints from people who aren't happy with it. Happy guys aren't filling the internet with happy comments about how they're content in their relationship, or have found a great partner, or are super happy with their lover etc. Instead, anyone who has anything to complain about gets it off their chest and onto the internet for all to read. That's why you perceive that so many men are finding it hard to find someone who appreciates them, when in reality the silent majority are doing a-okay but just don't feel the need to go document it for everyone else to read.

Yes, these standards do exist and always have and it's more difficult for those on the spectrum to meet them. That's life.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 9:46 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I had to click the article to see if it indicated where she was from as I believe it's highly geographical to have that criteria. Sounds like she's from any-small-town USA. I can kind of see how that's an indicator of maturity, financial success, responsibility etc. However, what you need to remind yourself is that chances are she's not talking about taking a 5-star European dream vacation on a whim. She lives in the USA where there are some pretty cheap domestic flights that will take you away from the middle-of-nowhere-with-nothing-to-see-or-do to either a big city or a hot tropical place for pretty cheap. Like.. on a really good flight sale one can buy a ticket to Las Vegas for LESS than the price of a steak dinner out. Or a ticket to NYC for the price of a dinner & movie date for two. Sure, then there are hotel costs etc.. but my point is that weekend getaways by plane CAN cost mere hundreds of dollars, not thousands, depending on where you live.

I've travelled by airplane twice (and helicopter once! :D) and the tickets from Blaine, Washington State, to Las Vegas, Nevada, cost $89usd each way. A friend went to Vegas the same weekend and bought a one way ticket from the same discount airline for $21usd. Tickets to Mexico can be cheap, too. Whereas here at home, flying out of Vancouver, BC, Canada is among the MOST expensive places to fly out of in the entire world - so, lower working class locals almost NEVER fly for vacations here. We take road trips and go camping - which is often preferable, anyways, since we live in one of the most beautiful scenic places on the planet. I have a passport.. sort of - I realized recently that it expired about a year and a half ago lol and I only got it so I could attend a family gathering a stone's throw South of the border, and then have only really used it to be able to cross into Washington state to buy fuel for 30% cheaper than here at home as well as to pick up parcels ordered from Amazon.com etc. Now that Trump is about to be president and the USA is about to legalize homophobic discrimination, as a matter of silent protest & not wanting to spend one red cent in their country under his administration's ideals I may not renew my passport at all and may not bother crossing the border at all for the next 4-8 years even. Time will tell. But then again, I might just renew it and take a trip to the Dominican Republic to go kiteboarding or something.

As an Aspie, having a passport is a matter of practical logistics. If I need one I'll go get it again. If I have no intentions of doing anything with it besides letting it expire in a drawer, then I'll save the money. I haven't ever really caught the "travel bug" and felt a need to go fly away. I used to be jealous of others who could afford it, but, not that I can afford it I still don't care about it and would prefer to save my money towards other goals. IF I ever feel the urge to just up and fly away somewhere warm I guess I'll do it then.. so many people go to Mexico or Hawaii or something like that in the Winter time, but I'm here in the cold rain and snow waiting for Spring & Summer here all like "meh, this weather will pass.. I'd rather keep my money than blow it on a week or two vacation that'll also cost me an additional week or two's wages."

So, yeah, I kinda get her point.. IF you live where travel is cheap! Like so many discount airlines in the USA or throughout Europe or Asia where it doesn't cost an arm and a leg and your first born for an airplane ticket.. but living here where I do where the most common financial situation for our generation is living extremely paycheque to paycheque just making rent and barely buying food and not being able to afford a car on the road.. people do NOT have the same expectations of others being able to travel on a whim unless they are in a very well paid job. Sure, there are dating snobs like that - apparently Vancouver is notorious for high strung women who "require" their potential dates to be earning $100K+ or own a home in the city (Millions) etc but w/e that's a world I don't live in and am glad I don't even visit!!

Traveling costs far more here, and yet there's also so many young women here who have 'traveled' so much of the world.

A former high school classmate has been on a long-term holiday traveling America for like the last 6 months. That or she actually moved there. I dunno.

Travel is expensive likely for a few reasons:

1. Australia is a very spread-out country, where the major cities can be thousands and thousands of kilometres away from each other.

The major cities tend to be the only places worth visiting/holidaying too, and a lot of the time if you want to visit a smaller city or a town you'd have to catch a plane to the big city, then a bus or train to the small town.

Cairns, which is near the northern tip (the pointy part of the east) to Brisbane (roughly central eastern australia) is something like 100-150 cheapest and 300-400 most expensive.

2. Australia is so far away from many other countries. I'm sure distance does count when it comes to flight costs, so flying out of the country can be quite costly when every country is so far away except for the southern parts of Indonesia and New Zealand.

It's a whole lot different than, say an American flying from Florida to Jamaica or Dominican Republic, or an Irishman flying from Ireland to Germany.

3. Currency conversion; the Australian dollar is pi55-low compared to many other countries, so traveling to the United States and Europe can be really draining on your wallet after you convert your currency.

$1,000 AUD = $720 USD

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 10:19 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:

Because the internet provides an infinite soapbox for people to voice their complaints. It's the same with product reviews. You don't hear all the great things about a product that people love nearly as much as you hear complaints from people who aren't happy with it. Happy guys aren't filling the internet with happy comments about how they're content in their relationship, or have found a great partner, or are super happy with their lover etc. Instead, anyone who has anything to complain about gets it off their chest and onto the internet for all to read. That's why you perceive that so many men are finding it hard to find someone who appreciates them, when in reality the silent majority are doing a-okay but just don't feel the need to go document it for everyone else to read.

Yes, these standards do exist and always have and it's more difficult for those on the spectrum to meet them. That's life.

At least you admit this, man.

Sure sure that's life, but serously there are people who don't beieve this or try to deny it.

There are actualy people who give useless or just plain wrong advice such as Looks don't matter, just be confident.

I think a lot of LGBT people tend to have much more accurate views of dating in line with reality due to them observing heterosexual relationships from the outside-in.

They also tend to have much more realistic and reasonable standards.

Of course same-sex relationships tend to abandon gender roles altogether which can be a major source of stress for Heterosexuals to try and fit into.

Anyway, riddle me this, goldfish: Why does it appear that there tends to be far more young men complaining they are lonely and single than women on the internet?

This has been my experiences on Reddit, here, CityData, Youtube, Bodybuilding.com Misc section, etc.

This has just been my experiences but I'm sure many young men would agree they have noticed it too.

I guess more men than women must struggle with love and dating right, because a lot of women are otherwise silent about dating problems and issues?

A good example can be seen on this very forum.

If you look at this thread (sorry, it's a lot of pages) the general consensus is there aren't many Aspie women on this website who have never had a boyfriend or happy relationship before compared to the constant new posts by aspie men who have never had a gf or good relationship before.

Even in those 20 pages only about a dozen women admitted to having never had a boyfriend before.

viewtopic.php?t=327594&start=285

voidofcontext
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Dec 2016, 10:26 pm

There are likely many mitigating circumstances: You are viewing online spaces that are largely taken up by males (I'd imagine males out number females on this very site quite significantly) and even when there is more of a balance, females may not wish to express their loneliness/solo status out of fear of unwanted attention and/or abuse from a bunch of guys on the internet OR there may be a divide in the ability to express these things due to cultural differences (the perspective of bachelor vs spinster for example).

Your sample is skewed from the beginning, so any conclusions you draw will be false as a result.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 10:33 pm

Yeah, Canada is similar. So is the Canadian dollar - almost bang on par with the AUD vs. USD.

Then there's the fact that I live in the suburbs of Vancouver.. we ARE a vacation destination for so many wealthy people in the world. We're becoming a "resort city" for Billionaires. There are a lot of things about this place that are so beautiful I don't feel the urge to go see someplace nice.. because I'm always someplace nice! Mountains, beaches, pretty city - we have it all = no need to escape.. except for the several months of rain. :/

Flights within Canada can be so expensive that it's cheaper to fly to London, England, than it is to fly across Canada. Domestic air travel is obscenely expensive here.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 10:41 pm

Outrider wrote:
Anyway, riddle me this, goldfish: Why does it appear that there tends to be far more young men complaining they are lonely and single than women on the internet?

As someone else pointed out, internet forums are male dominated, just like video games, sports, and other male things. So there are a lot more guys online to begin with.

Then there's the simple evolutionary biological fact that it's males who compete for females. Also, it's a bigger deal to a guy to be single/foreveralone/not getting laid etc than it is for a woman, in general. Women tend to not care about being single or not getting laid nearly as much as males, period. I think it has to do with biology and physiological needs. Guys want sex/pleasure etc whereas women are more about the emotional connection vs. physical gratification, and are willing to wait longer for it to come along vs. complain about not finding a mate.

So many reasons.. I think they're all valid. It's just one big compound effect of all of these factors that make way more guys whine online about not getting any.