Red flags in dating? Early stages

Page 3 of 16 [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,940

10 Jan 2017, 8:15 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
Rope, lube and duct tape in their passenger seat.


hahahahah funny rape joke. :|

You really need to stop shouting in empty rooms.


You need to stop making rape jokes that aren't funny. Serial rapists often have kit bags with such materials in them, and that is not fodder for hilarity. It's not a joke, it's a real horror for many rape victims.


_________________
"Ego non immanis, sed mea immanis telum." ~ Ares, God of War

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)


TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2014
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,139
Location: Hampshire

10 Jan 2017, 8:50 pm

wilburforce wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
Rope, lube and duct tape in their passenger seat.


hahahahah funny rape joke. :|

You really need to stop shouting in empty rooms.


You need to stop making rape jokes that aren't funny. Serial rapists often have kit bags with such materials in them, and that is not fodder for hilarity. It's not a joke, it's a real horror for many rape victims.

You just killed what was an otherwise useful thread.


_________________
Yours sincerely, some dude.


wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,940

10 Jan 2017, 9:05 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
Rope, lube and duct tape in their passenger seat.


hahahahah funny rape joke. :|

You really need to stop shouting in empty rooms.


You need to stop making rape jokes that aren't funny. Serial rapists often have kit bags with such materials in them, and that is not fodder for hilarity. It's not a joke, it's a real horror for many rape victims.

You just killed what was an otherwise useful thread.


How am I killing a thread by asking you not to make rape jokes in it?


_________________
"Ego non immanis, sed mea immanis telum." ~ Ares, God of War

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)


redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2012
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,967
Location: Seattle, WA

10 Jan 2017, 9:27 pm

"The gun? Oh, that's just for protection."

"That picture of my ex in my wallet? Oh, that's nothing. We're just college friends."

"Where was I for the past few hours? What are you, the FBI?"

"You go ahead and eat; I'll just take this call in the men's room."

"I'm late because my watch stopped, that's why."

"Because I like how your pantyhose feels. Why should women have all the fun?"

"I'd like to pay for dinner but they forgot to give out our checks today."

"My buddy from work lost his girlfriend, so I sat consoling him at his house for a few hours, that's all."

"That's not lipstick. It's rum punch from the office."



blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 604
Location: Sagittarius A

10 Jan 2017, 9:31 pm

hurtloam wrote:
whatamievendoing wrote:
MsV wrote:
- saying any guy who shows you kindness is just trying to get in your pants


While there's no denying that such individuals exist, you do need to take note that by no means is every man like that. I for one represent the type that's kind out of general courtesy towards everyone.


No she's not saying the red flag was that her ex was showing kindness, she means her ex said to her that every guy who showed her kindness was trying to get in her pants. He was saying this out of jealousy and possessiveness which are red flags.


Assuming a male is single and interested in the opposite sex, if given the chance to have sex I would imagine there's a high probability they will accept the encounter. It is our natural purpose to do so. It is of course a lot more complicated post processing, but it is our basic instinct to want to accept that encounter. Females truly are the gatekeeper, they must bear the consequences of said encounter excluding STD's.


_________________
Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.” ― Bertrand Russell


Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jan 2012
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,758
Location: NH

10 Jan 2017, 9:31 pm

wilburforce wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
Rope, lube and duct tape in their passenger seat.


hahahahah funny rape joke. :|

You really need to stop shouting in empty rooms.


You need to stop making rape jokes that aren't funny. Serial rapists often have kit bags with such materials in them, and that is not fodder for hilarity. It's not a joke, it's a real horror for many rape victims.


I thought it was funny.


_________________
About suffering they were never wrong,
The Old Masters: how well they understood
Its human position; how it takes place
While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...


Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Joined: 19 Nov 2016
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 188

10 Jan 2017, 9:32 pm

Alliekit wrote:
^
What's wrong with going to bars and clubs?

Being in an environment where there are many people drinking a mind altering substance that affects judgment. Willfully putting yourself in that environment and allowing yourself to get drunk around strangers. Okay if you go as a couple, not so much going alone if you're in a relationship.



wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,940

10 Jan 2017, 10:33 pm

Boxman108 wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
Rope, lube and duct tape in their passenger seat.


hahahahah funny rape joke. :|

You really need to stop shouting in empty rooms.


You need to stop making rape jokes that aren't funny. Serial rapists often have kit bags with such materials in them, and that is not fodder for hilarity. It's not a joke, it's a real horror for many rape victims.


I thought it was funny.


Here's an example of how funny it can get when women are not able to avoid a guy who has just such a kit bag:

ProPublica: An Unbelievable Story of Rape

They often take trophies like photos or possessions of their victims--in this case, the rapist took her camera and used it to photograph her while he raped her, as well as his subsequent victims. He also had a stash of panties he had stolen from his victims and other houses he had broken into when out prowling for potential victims. How hilarious! :lol:


_________________
"Ego non immanis, sed mea immanis telum." ~ Ares, God of War

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)


Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Joined: 19 Nov 2016
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 188

10 Jan 2017, 10:37 pm

wilburforce wrote:
Boxman108 wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
Rope, lube and duct tape in their passenger seat.


hahahahah funny rape joke. :|

You really need to stop shouting in empty rooms.


You need to stop making rape jokes that aren't funny. Serial rapists often have kit bags with such materials in them, and that is not fodder for hilarity. It's not a joke, it's a real horror for many rape victims.


I thought it was funny.


Here's an example of how funny it can get when women are not able to avoid a guy who has just such a kit bag:

ProPublica: An Unbelievable Story of Rape

They often take trophies like photos or possessions of their victims--in this case, the rapist took her camera and used it to photograph her while he raped her, as well as his subsequent victims. He also had a stash of panties he had stolen from his victims and other houses he had broken into when out prowling for potential victims. How hilarious! :lol:

The guy made a joke and didn't mean anything mean spirited by it. I think this is an over-reaction. No, I don't mean rape isn't a serious issue and no, I don't mean we shouldn't take the issue seriously. What I mean is, give the guy a break. This whole forum, you have to walk on egg shells. I will say this, people on this forum really destroy the stereotype that people with aspergers don't have strong emotions.



Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Mar 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,939
Location: United States

10 Jan 2017, 10:38 pm

Here are the red flags I observed in all of my past relationships, actual and potential, as a straight man.

Action: Talks emphatically about how she's already [age between 28 and 36] and not getting any younger.
Meaning: She's desperate to settle down with a provider-type man right away, at any cost to her or me.
Danger: She will "trap" me by secretly going off the birth control pill or rubbing a used condom into her "self".

Action: Yells at me on our second date.
Meaning: Narcissistic or obnoxiously self-entitled.
Danger: The yelling will keep getting worse and worse, until the breakup or me going insane.

Action: Willing to have sex with me on a first date, even though I'm not tough or attractive.
Meaning: Possible use of sex as leverage.
Danger: Risk of paying the price later, such as giving instant commitment or having to do excessive favors.

Action: Refuses to take any kind of public transportation, even when it's perfectly safe to do so.
Meaning: Princess complex and/or life-stopping irrational fear.
Danger: Damn impossible to do anything involving alcohol, and always having to chauffeur her around.

Action: Doesn't want to go anywhere fun, and only wants to sit around and talk.
Meaning: Difficult to please and/or a staunch homebody.
Danger: The relationship is going to be very boring.

Action: Lacks any threatening elements I've come to expect from women who are interested in me.
Meaning: I don't know.
Danger: Feeling guilty about starting a relationship with her.



Last edited by Aspie1 on 10 Jan 2017, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jul 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 748
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow.

10 Jan 2017, 10:43 pm

League_Girl wrote:
feral botanist wrote:
MsV wrote:

- completely ignoring any boundaries you set

- telling you the way you're feeling isn't really what you feel and replacing your description with the 'correct one' - even though it's not

- saying it's so cute when you tell them you're not ok with their behavior

- wanting to make all of your decisions for you


These are the ones that would really worry me. This indicates a lack of respect for you and your needs. These would also indicate a possibility of an abuser.



I used to talk to a guy online who was still an underage teen at the time and I was 18 and he always dictated how I felt and seemed to be in charge of my feelings like if I told him he was making me uncomfortable, he would tell me I wasn't feel anything and he wouldn't let me quit talking to him because he would quit coming back and get nasty with me for blocking him and telling me to quit it. Totally a creep and a narcissist and I also felt he was emotionally violent. I say he stalked me because he wouldn't leave me alone because he would contact me under different screen names and he was like a virus I couldn't get rid of. I also felt he didn't take me seriously because anything about me was cute and I also couldn't set boundaries with this person because he would violate them and then blame it on Asperger's and he wasn't even diagnosed. He self diagnosed and got worse after that and started this behavior which is why I never bought into the aspie thing and I didn't have this issue with them anyway except him and I never bought he had it. Now that my friend is a textbook example of why lot of people hate the self diagnosed aspies and say they use it as an excuse.



He sounds unpleasant and emotionally manipulative/abusive. Emotional abuse can be more difficult to identify and address because it can be ambiguous, and it is easy for abuser to make excuses for justifications for their behavior..


_________________
When you are used to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Neurodiverse score: 186 of 200
Neurotypical score: 26 of 200
RAADS-R score: 189

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82244653@ ... 7870905522


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 21,148
Location: Pacific Northwest

11 Jan 2017, 12:45 am

Here are more:

Caring too much what people think and always wanting to know what you talked about on the phone and having to listen in on your conversations


Everything being someone's business so they tell someone everything about you as if it's their business

Blowing up at you cussing you out and screaming at you

Abrupt mood change.

So sensitive you have to walk on eggshells because anything you say could upset them and they take what you say the wrong way and they always seem to add to your sentence to get offended as if.

You feel anything you do is never good enough

Your partner makes you feel bad about yourself

Always accuses you of playing a game and anything they don't like they call it a game

Not helping you so you can move forward in life

Always negative

You have to meet their ex in the parking lot whenever you and your partner pick up their kids

Your partner's ex somehow won't allow her kids to have any contact with your ex

Already saying bad things about their ex and you had just met

Always the victim and always being screwed over by other people. Mmmm?


_________________
I have a quilt of labels. I had a language disorder and a speech disorder. Then communication disorder NOS. My other diagnoses have been Language Processing disorder, dyspraxia, SPD, OCD, ADD, Asperger’s, anxiety disorder, adjustment disorder, anorexia nervosa. My mom’s labels of me are: eating disorder, anorexia, social anxiety, PTSD, just being sensitive and having the victim complex when I was a kid. And of course she says I’m normal and says the only thing I had as a child was language. Huh? I must have been a shitty person then and maybe a difficult child I was who had to be labeled because of incompetent school staff and mean kids who didn’t accept differences and because I was trying to be “normal.” :/

My blog: https://mynoneabdlthoughts.wordpress.com/


whatamievendoing
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 410
Location: Finland

11 Jan 2017, 1:49 am

Hexen wrote:
Lots of male friends on social media
having a lot of male friends


I'm curious as to how these are red flags.


_________________
“They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.”
― Kurt Cobain


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 21,148
Location: Pacific Northwest

11 Jan 2017, 2:10 am

wilburforce wrote:
Boxman108 wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
Rope, lube and duct tape in their passenger seat.


hahahahah funny rape joke. :|

You really need to stop shouting in empty rooms.


You need to stop making rape jokes that aren't funny. Serial rapists often have kit bags with such materials in them, and that is not fodder for hilarity. It's not a joke, it's a real horror for many rape victims.


I thought it was funny.


Here's an example of how funny it can get when women are not able to avoid a guy who has just such a kit bag:

ProPublica: An Unbelievable Story of Rape

They often take trophies like photos or possessions of their victims--in this case, the rapist took her camera and used it to photograph her while he raped her, as well as his subsequent victims. He also had a stash of panties he had stolen from his victims and other houses he had broken into when out prowling for potential victims. How hilarious! :lol:



I still didn't find it funny. How awful how she was treated.


_________________
I have a quilt of labels. I had a language disorder and a speech disorder. Then communication disorder NOS. My other diagnoses have been Language Processing disorder, dyspraxia, SPD, OCD, ADD, Asperger’s, anxiety disorder, adjustment disorder, anorexia nervosa. My mom’s labels of me are: eating disorder, anorexia, social anxiety, PTSD, just being sensitive and having the victim complex when I was a kid. And of course she says I’m normal and says the only thing I had as a child was language. Huh? I must have been a shitty person then and maybe a difficult child I was who had to be labeled because of incompetent school staff and mean kids who didn’t accept differences and because I was trying to be “normal.” :/

My blog: https://mynoneabdlthoughts.wordpress.com/


Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Mar 2016
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,169
Location: England

11 Jan 2017, 6:28 am

wilburforce wrote:
Boxman108 wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
Rope, lube and duct tape in their passenger seat.


hahahahah funny rape joke. :|

You really need to stop shouting in empty rooms.


You need to stop making rape jokes that aren't funny. Serial rapists often have kit bags with such materials in them, and that is not fodder for hilarity. It's not a joke, it's a real horror for many rape victims.


I thought it was funny.


Here's an example of how funny it can get when women are not able to avoid a guy who has just such a kit bag:

ProPublica: An Unbelievable Story of Rape

They often take trophies like photos or possessions of their victims--in this case, the rapist took her camera and used it to photograph her while he raped her, as well as his subsequent victims. He also had a stash of panties he had stolen from his victims and other houses he had broken into when out prowling for potential victims. How hilarious! :lol:


It was a bit close to the mark lads.
I understand it was a joke but it is a very real fear for some women. Especially victims of rape.

Although finding something like that would indeed be a massive red flag