Are relationships really worth it?

Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 9:42 pm

I am talking about for anyone.

It just seems like there is too much arguing, fighting and such that doesn't outweigh the positives.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 4:41 am

I'd say it's break even. Yes there's arguing and fighting and there's also affection. On good days it's like your girlfriend is also your best friend. Your partner in crime. On bad days she acts like an unruly child. Even on the good days she can distract you from your career. On the bad days you can't get much work done because you're too busy thinking about how mad you are at her.

So have a girlfriend if you want. You'll probably break even in happiness and frustration. But if you have a girlfriend be prepared to give up having a top performing career. Girls are to distracting for the aspiring salaryman. The saying "behind every great man is a great woman" is boulderdash. Only get a girlfriend if you don't value your career.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 5:59 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I'd say it's break even. Yes there's arguing and fighting and there's also affection. On good days it's like your girlfriend is also your best friend. Your partner in crime. On bad days she acts like an unruly child. Even on the good days she can distract you from your career. On the bad days you can't get much work done because you're too busy thinking about how mad you are at her.

So have a girlfriend if you want. You'll probably break even in happiness and frustration. But if you have a girlfriend be prepared to give up having a top performing career. Girls are to distracting for the aspiring salaryman. The saying "behind every great man is a great woman" is boulderdash. Only get a girlfriend if you don't value your career.

That's funny - I was thinking the same way about getting a boyfriend. I've got a career plan that takes up quite a bit of my time, so any Hunny better have one too. So far, most that I have met don't have an inkling of what they want to be when they grow up. Either that or they are just too much into their entertainment - time that I don't have. Any Hunny of mine would definitely have to have a career or several hobbies that are solo activities.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:06 am

Infact most successul people are all single, right? :roll:

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:08 am

nurseangela wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

That's funny - I was thinking the same way about getting a boyfriend. I've got a career plan that takes up quite a bit of my time, so any Hunny better have one too. So far, most that I have met don't have an inkling of what they want to be when they grow up. Either that or they are just too much into their entertainment - time that I don't have. Any Hunny of mine would definitely have to have a career or several hobbies that are solo activities.
Exactly. Love and dating is a big career distraction for both sexes. And who would want to date someone without a career? I wouldn't. There's more to life than frivolous entertainments.
Peacesells wrote:
Who has time for dating when there's work to be done?

Last edited by RetroGamer87 on 11 Jan 2017, 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:10 am

Depends on what you mean by "success". Some find success in a career that lands them a lot of money while others see success in having a family.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:14 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
And who would want to date someone without a career? I wouldn't. There's more to life than frivolous entertainments.

Last year you were into marrying Filipinas from a poor situation so that they would get to Australia. 8O

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:15 am

nurseangela wrote:
Depends on what you mean by "success". Some find success in a career that lands them a lot of money while others see success in having a family.

Lol we all know what success I am talking about.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:18 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

Exactly. Love and dating is a big career distraction for both sexes. And who would want to date someone without a career? I wouldn't. There's more to life than frivolous entertainments.

Just the other day, I had to call Time Warner to update my internet plan and they asked me what cable I use for my entertainment. They couldn't believe that I don't have any cable - I don't watch TV because I don't have time for it. I have a ROKU (the very first model along with a tube TV) just so I can watch a few things on Amazon Prime when I am in between school semesters. I don't go to the movies. I work every weekend. Here in Kansas, football is big. I don't even have time to watch football on Sunday because I work. A Hunny of mine would have to have some ambition and not just a Mon-Fri 9-5 job. I don't have time to babysit.

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:20 am

Peacesells wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Dude, honestly, I have a hard time reading you. I really don't know what success you are talking about.

Darn, I flunked.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:20 am

In my humble opinion, if the two person let each other live like they're single the relationship is worth keeping. :mrgreen:

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:21 am

Peacesells wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

I don't.
Peacesells wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
And who would want to date someone without a career? I wouldn't. There's more to life than frivolous entertainments.

Last year you were into marrying Filipinas from a poor situation so that they would get to Australia. 8O

Well that wasn't a very good idea was it?

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:24 am

Drawyer wrote:
In my humble opinion, if the two person let each other live like they're single the relationship is worth keeping. :mrgreen:

Howdy Miss D! Where have you been? Good to see you! :mrgreen:

Darn, I flunked.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:26 am

In short not at all.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:27 am

nurseangela wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

Just the other day, I had to call Time Warner to update my internet plan and they asked me what cable I use for my entertainment. They couldn't believe that I don't have any cable - I don't watch TV because I don't have time for it. I have a ROKU (the very first model along with a tube TV) just so I can watch a few things on Amazon Prime when I am in between school semesters. I don't go to the movies. I work every weekend. Here in Kansas, football is big. I don't even have time to watch football on Sunday because I work. A Hunny of mine would have to have some ambition and not just a Mon-Fri 9-5 job. I don't have time to babysit.
Exactly. Even if I was unemployed there are way better forms of entertainment than stupid old cable TV, like internet streaming or gasp, going outside!

And you're right. Anyone who thinks just working five days per week, Monday to Friday is good enough is being lazy. You can't build a proper career like that.
Drawyer wrote:
Hi Drawyer. How's your secret crush going? :)

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 8:09 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

Peacesells wrote:
Who has time for dating when there's work to be done?

Aromantic Asexual men? Yes, very productive.

Socially isolated heterosexual men? Hell no!

Socially isolated straight guys tend to be NEETs/unemployed/underemployed, often complain online sadly (more rare: angrily) and spend all their free time in escapist pursuits like video games, weed, etc. To cope with crippling anxiety, depression and loneliness.