Why are women grossed out by the male body?

Page 2 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Joined: 22 Jan 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 249

09 Aug 2017, 5:06 pm

I like the way men's bodies look. I don't like the idea of sexual offenders though, and flashing your genitals is a sexual offense. Context matters. Your thread title contains a sexist generalization about women. You perceive that one woman you know is grossed out by the idea of a guy flashing his junk at a party, and you extrapolate that to "women are grossed out by the male body." One does not follow the other in logical progression.



blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 813
Location: Sagittarius A

09 Aug 2017, 5:32 pm

RandomFox wrote:
It was simply very bad timing and occasion :D

Once a woman showed her private parts photos to my unsuspecting boss (basically saying "mmm could you have a look at this?") and trust me he wasn't happy about it at all and he was seriously grossed out. I bet he likes his wife's body though, so...
Many women really like looking at photos of naked men showing all their sexy parts.
Many men are seriously grossed out by photos of vaginas that are far from the "perfect" porn look.
There was a social experiment with a photo booth in one European country - basically it was collecting anonymous pics of passers-by (females) genitals. My male friend (heterosexual) almost vomited looking at the photos :D

So you can't generalize, really :)


For me it's down to personal preferences how attracted or repulsed I would be. Generally, when it comes to the female body its very attractive and I would be called a shallow pervert if I showed any passion in describing the specifics that I find attractive. As you say, generalizing is probably not a good idea and its wholly down to the individual.


_________________
Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.” ― Bertrand Russell


imhere
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 20 Jun 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 62

09 Aug 2017, 6:41 pm

I think, IMHO, that to generalize something like this saying that "women" find male parts gross based on a conversation among men is absolutely ridiculous. The "ewwww" would have been my reaction too, but not because the "part" was in any way a problem, but the public nature of the exposure was, frankly, gross. Keep it in your pants, gentlemen, unless I ask you to take it out, in private. lol.



blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 813
Location: Sagittarius A

09 Aug 2017, 6:57 pm

imhere wrote:
I think, IMHO, that to generalize something like this saying that "women" find male parts gross based on a conversation among men is absolutely ridiculous. The "ewwww" would have been my reaction too, but not because the "part" was in any way a problem, but the public nature of the exposure was, frankly, gross. Keep it in your pants, gentlemen, unless I ask you to take it out, in private. lol.


Even still, there will be some attracted to this type of behavior granted, it's likely a rather small demographic. Perhaps a greater amount of men than women, but who's to say unless someone knows of a study.


_________________
Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.” ― Bertrand Russell


blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 813
Location: Sagittarius A

09 Aug 2017, 7:20 pm

Back in my early 20's one day I was driving my motorcycle on an interstate and two women in a car pulled up next to me and one flashed her breasts. While I was not particularly attracted to her nor her breasts it was a very exciting encounter. I did not feel threatened or repulsed, but that is my personal outlook.


_________________
Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.” ― Bertrand Russell


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 35,984
Location: Queens, NYC

09 Aug 2017, 9:11 pm

Usually, if a guy flashes his genitals, he's trying to be aggressive. This sort of thing is not borne out of good feeling.



blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 813
Location: Sagittarius A

09 Aug 2017, 9:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Usually, if a guy flashes his genitals, he's trying to be aggressive. This sort of thing is not borne out of good feeling.


Indeed, that sort of person may even get off from those that are repulsed by their behavior.


_________________
Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.” ― Bertrand Russell


sly279
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,868
Location: US

09 Aug 2017, 11:35 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Well all the fuss that's made about women breastfeeding in public makes me think that there's a fair amount of people out there who regard women's bodies as gross.

No that's cause women's breasts are considered sexual in most cultures so it's inappropriate to most people. Not cause they find it gross.



Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,707

10 Aug 2017, 12:12 am

Jamesy wrote:
I was out with friends last Saturday and there was a conversation amongst some of my male friends where they were talking about a guy exposing his 'johnson' at a party. There was this girl who was with us at the table who nearly threw up when hearing about the story and was like "eww gross". If there was a story about a girl exposing her breasts guys would droll and say "please tell me more"


So the question is why do a lot of women find male body parts gross yet guys and (and women as well) find female body parts a turn on?????

I guess you guys might reference the quote from Seinfeld in regards to this subject :roll:


If you want the evolutionary explanation, in humans, evolution is "male driven" in that for most of pre-human and human evolution, males chose their mates. Your ancestral father was a guy who liked lady bits and in his pursuit of them, passed on the genes that liked them.

Females, on the other hand, didn't have nearly as much of a say as who they pursued and why so there was less selective pressure for women to develop an affinity for gentlemen bits.

If you want the colloquial reason that most women would give as a result of them...because they look weird and are gross and she doesn't want it in her, she can see one any time she wants if she wants to.

Women are more attracted by things like his chest/abs/arms. This makes sense evolutionary because while she might not have pursued men with nice bits, she might have gravitated towards men who appeared physically fit, and men who were physically fit probably had more reproductive success. So I disagree that women are grossed out by the male body. They are just grossed out by unsolicited exposure to male genitalia.



The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,111
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

10 Aug 2017, 1:31 am

Chronos wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
I was out with friends last Saturday and there was a conversation amongst some of my male friends where they were talking about a guy exposing his 'johnson' at a party. There was this girl who was with us at the table who nearly threw up when hearing about the story and was like "eww gross". If there was a story about a girl exposing her breasts guys would droll and say "please tell me more"


So the question is why do a lot of women find male body parts gross yet guys and (and women as well) find female body parts a turn on?????

I guess you guys might reference the quote from Seinfeld in regards to this subject :roll:


If you want the evolutionary explanation, in humans, evolution is "male driven" in that for most of pre-human and human evolution, males chose their mates. Your ancestral father was a guy who liked lady bits and in his pursuit of them, passed on the genes that liked them.

Females, on the other hand, didn't have nearly as much of a say as who they pursued and why so there was less selective pressure for women to develop an affinity for gentlemen bits.




Your whole post is frankly erroneous, and it's totally the other way around, from evolutionary standpoint.

It's the female human which is way more selective, and humans evolved on this basis; what you are talking about 'female had no say' is about the arranged marriages, which happened over a short period of human history in the ancient 'civilized' world; the whole human's known history is nothing but a very brief glimpse of the humankind existence, too short to even have any significant evolutionary impact.
If you look at the current primitive tribes, women have their say in mate selection, and even in the cultures where arranged marriage still exist, the daughter's mother has a strong say in it too, so indirectly....it's still based on female preferences.

Quote:

If you want the colloquial reason that most women would give as a result of them...because they look weird and are gross and she doesn't want it in her, she can see one any time she wants if she wants to.

Women are more attracted by things like his chest/abs/arms. This makes sense evolutionary because while she might not have pursued men with nice bits, she might have gravitated towards men who appeared physically fit, and men who were physically fit probably had more reproductive success. So I disagree that women are grossed out by the male body. They are just grossed out by unsolicited exposure to male genitalia.


Umm....no, I can assure you that many women, when properly aroused, love the look and the feel of their man's penis; but of course not in a 'standalone mode', but it's all part of the package (chest/abs/arms).

What was gross about in the OP's post was the pervert act; flashing a penis in public unsolicited would certainly be associated with sexual offense and rape; and I imagine that association is very gross to most sane women.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/0 ... 41609.html

Frankly speaking, I think most men find the boobs/tummy/tight/ass more pleasing to the eyes than a close-up vagina too.



Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2014
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,761
Location: Australia

10 Aug 2017, 2:10 am

Closet Genious wrote:
I don't know, even though I am heterosexual I would say both the male and female body can be quite aesthetically pleasing, if the body is lean and healthy.

I think the private parts of either gender aren't that great looking to be completely honest. I don't believe in god, but if god made the male and female bodies, it's like he ran out of time when he came to the reproductive parts...


Its us aspiring bodybuilders who learn to appreciate the.male body.more in. Completely hetroaexual perspective.

You're very right, I honesty don't think women look all that much better than a male of equal fitness, leanness and level of hygiene and grooming.

But men tend to look gay and metrosexual when very well groomed like women are so I'd say the male equivalent to an extremely feminine, groomed, makeup faced, thin, long limbed model type woman with silky smooth skin and hair is your tall, lean Hugh Jackman type male with a deep tan, wrinkled "worker hands", bulging chest and biceps, that greasy dry skin look, prominent jawline.

Hugh Jackman, Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee), etc.

Women aren't these blissful beautiful angels, without makeup, shaved legs and silky smooth skin due to moisturizers, they look no better than the average non makeup wearing, unshaved rougher and greasier skinned male.

Wosn clothing also tend to be more flashier and stylish while men's more plain, generic and functional.

Women's looks are massively overrated and overvalued by society, its Also a darn shame women are judged more for their looks instead of achievements and vice versa for men.



rdos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2005
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,695
Location: Sweden

10 Aug 2017, 3:11 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Usually, if a guy flashes his genitals, he's trying to be aggressive. This sort of thing is not borne out of good feeling.


That's the usual reasoning around the issue, and also the primary reason why it is illegal. However, this just an interpretation taken out of thin air by men in power that feel threatened or disgusted. The truth is, it is catcalling that is aggressive while flashing typically is a passive behavior that is non-aggressive. IOW, we have criminalized the wrong behavior if we are concerned about aggression towards women. Not to mention all the domestic violence against women in relationships.



rdos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2005
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,695
Location: Sweden

10 Aug 2017, 3:23 am

Chronos wrote:
If you want the evolutionary explanation, in humans, evolution is "male driven" in that for most of pre-human and human evolution, males chose their mates. Your ancestral father was a guy who liked lady bits and in his pursuit of them, passed on the genes that liked them.


You cannot generalize human evolution like that. It's a common mistake made in evolutionary psychology which means scientists really are not getting anywhere.

Chronos wrote:
Females, on the other hand, didn't have nearly as much of a say as who they pursued and why so there was less selective pressure for women to develop an affinity for gentlemen bits.

If you want the colloquial reason that most women would give as a result of them...because they look weird and are gross and she doesn't want it in her, she can see one any time she wants if she wants to.


First, unlike catcalling which is an aggressive behavior typically done by groups of males towards single females, flashing is typically done by a single male towards groups of females, and it is a behavior that is part of FEMALE choice. That's because she can just ignore it, unlike a group of aggressive males that throw sexual comments at her, and might rape her if she acts weak.

Second, a small minority of females (a few percent), actually enjoy flashing.

Chronos wrote:
So I disagree that women are grossed out by the male body. They are just grossed out by unsolicited exposure to male genitalia.


Not true. Being grossed out by public exposure is a cultural thing, not a trait of women. I proved that by doing a cross-cultural study in Russia (where flashing is legal), and it turned out that western women that didn't like flashing felt a lot more disgusted than Russian, which proves it is a cultural thing.

Study on flashing and catcalling: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... odiversity



rdos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2005
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,695
Location: Sweden

10 Aug 2017, 3:34 am

blackicmenace wrote:
imhere wrote:
I think, IMHO, that to generalize something like this saying that "women" find male parts gross based on a conversation among men is absolutely ridiculous. The "ewwww" would have been my reaction too, but not because the "part" was in any way a problem, but the public nature of the exposure was, frankly, gross. Keep it in your pants, gentlemen, unless I ask you to take it out, in private. lol.


Even still, there will be some attracted to this type of behavior granted, it's likely a rather small demographic. Perhaps a greater amount of men than women, but who's to say unless someone knows of a study.


I posted one. Yes, it is a small demographic, but it is mostly women. Men, in general, have a lot more negative attitudes towards flashing than women. Also, it is mostly men that do this, possibly because it is safer for them, but I'd say it is a male evolved behavior, not a female.

And about sexuality being something private, that is a dogma of western culture. It's easy to find ancient cultures that didn't have this, which means it cannot be an innate trait. Besides, hunter-gatherers likely didn't put much effort into hiding their private parts.



rdos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2005
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,695
Location: Sweden

10 Aug 2017, 3:42 am

Jamesy wrote:
I was out with friends last Saturday and there was a conversation amongst some of my male friends where they were talking about a guy exposing his 'johnson' at a party. There was this girl who was with us at the table who nearly threw up when hearing about the story and was like "eww gross". If there was a story about a girl exposing her breasts guys would droll and say "please tell me more"


Part of my study concluded that groups of women that had experienced flashing gave LOWER disgust rates. Why is that? It's anybody's guess, but perhaps if one woman enjoyed it, then her friends would be less likely to find it disgusting. Which, again, comes back to cultural attitudes. Women are supposed to be grossed out by this, but when somebody isn't, then they loosen up on their "cultural programming".

Jamesy wrote:
So the question is why do a lot of women find male body parts gross yet guys and (and women as well) find female body parts a turn on?????


Because of culture.

Besides, there are women that go to male strip shows, which also puts into question that women in general only like private sex.