Why are women grossed out by the male body?

Page 4 of 15 [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,657
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

10 Aug 2017, 1:28 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
rdos wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
I was out with friends last Saturday and there was a conversation amongst some of my male friends where they were talking about a guy exposing his 'johnson' at a party. There was this girl who was with us at the table who nearly threw up when hearing about the story and was like "eww gross". If there was a story about a girl exposing her breasts guys would droll and say "please tell me more"


Part of my study concluded that groups of women that had experienced flashing gave LOWER disgust rates. Why is that? It's anybody's guess, but perhaps if one woman enjoyed it, then her friends would be less likely to find it disgusting. Which, again, comes back to cultural attitudes. Women are supposed to be grossed out by this, but when somebody isn't, then they loosen up on their "cultural programming".

Jamesy wrote:
So the question is why do a lot of women find male body parts gross yet guys and (and women as well) find female body parts a turn on?????


Because of culture.

Besides, there are women that go to male strip shows, which also puts into question that women in general only like private sex.


I find it laughable how you are so skeptical about evolutionary biology and psychology as an explanation, yet you buy into the cultural programming arguement. There's literally no evidence at all, to support that culture has shaped gender and reproductive dynamics.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. Look what's happening in America, and Europe before that with gay marriage. Back in the 90's it wasn't even seriously up for discussion. Two decades later it's the law of the land.

Or how about those returning WWII GI's? Massive population explosion. The boomers had barely come of age when the pill became ubiquitous and abortion was encouraged. Now you not only have a reversal in the birth rate, you have women not even STARTING to have kids until their 30's.

The culture is drastically different than it was a mere DECADE ago. If culture hasn't affected gender and reproduction, it most certainly has affected our openness with it. You have to at least consider there might be some interaction between culture and shifting sexual norms.


I obviously won't deny this, but I see it differently. I see it as our biological nature responding or reacting to the surrounding culture.

Something I read recently that thought was very interesting: In the countries that have pushed women's rights the most(countries like denmark and sweden), the difference in choices men and women make, becomes LARGER.
So what we see there is that if we flatten out the "cultural programming", and give men and women equal rights and freedom of choice, women will make choices that are more stereotypically female, and men will be more stereotypical aswell. Imo this shows that our biology is what influences us the most.

Biology is too inconsistent. If you follow that to its logical conclusion, you would have to say homosexuality is a disability or a mental illness. Maybe it is, maybe it's not. But it has followed a path of criminality, to mental illness, to...well, not QUITE full acceptance and tolerance, but defo a much easier and safer existence, as opposed to burning at the stake. From people snickering behind someone's back to "oh, THAT guy. Yeah, he's cool...he just doesn't like girls is all."

Abortion, same thing. You'd think the maternal instinct would kick in and all women would be freaking out over the suggestion she could legally kill her baby if she didn't want it. But, no, you have too many women screaming that it's HER body and she can kill a baby if she wants to. I won't deny that most guys are straight and most women aren't murderers. But cultural shifts have allowed coming out and infanticide when they'd have been unthinkable in the previous generation. Biology is only a small part of it (I do believe a genetic predisposition towards homosexuality is plausible, for example). Culture has been more responsible for bringing these and other significant behaviors out, even among those who might not otherwise be participants had there not been a cultural/environment impetus for it.


Maternal infanticide happens in animals too.



blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 866
Location: Sagittarius A

10 Aug 2017, 1:34 pm

rdos wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
imhere wrote:
I think, IMHO, that to generalize something like this saying that "women" find male parts gross based on a conversation among men is absolutely ridiculous. The "ewwww" would have been my reaction too, but not because the "part" was in any way a problem, but the public nature of the exposure was, frankly, gross. Keep it in your pants, gentlemen, unless I ask you to take it out, in private. lol.


Even still, there will be some attracted to this type of behavior granted, it's likely a rather small demographic. Perhaps a greater amount of men than women, but who's to say unless someone knows of a study.


I posted one. Yes, it is a small demographic, but it is mostly women. Men, in general, have a lot more negative attitudes towards flashing than women. Also, it is mostly men that do this, possibly because it is safer for them, but I'd say it is a male evolved behavior, not a female.

And about sexuality being something private, that is a dogma of western culture. It's easy to find ancient cultures that didn't have this, which means it cannot be an innate trait. Besides, hunter-gatherers likely didn't put much effort into hiding their private parts.


I find it surprising that males report more negative attitudes towards flashing. I would imagine there would be a difference between a male flashing a group of women to that of a male flashing a woman by herself since a group of women would have support from others to make them feel safer about the encounter while a singled out woman might feel much more vulnerable to the encounter. I would also imagine the individual's personal reward system would come into play as well and play some part in how they feel about this type of behavior.

Not surprised that culture has a significant impact on how this type of behavior is ultimately viewed as primitive humans wouldn't have as many stigmas and social expectations to deal with. I would imagine covering up was more about survival than aesthetics and social expectations developed over time and throughout different cultures. Thanks for posting the study, I will check it out.


_________________
Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.” ― Bertrand Russell


jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2011
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,534
Location: The end of the northwest passage

10 Aug 2017, 1:44 pm

It seems like a lot of people have never seen a bachelorette party in action, or a group of women watching male strippers, or the women in the audience at Cassa Rosso. There are more things in heaven and earth than you've seen, everyone.


_________________
A fish in water doesn't know it's wet


The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,657
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

10 Aug 2017, 2:05 pm

^ Well lady jrjones, you know, normally men don't get invited to a bachelorette party.



jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2011
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,534
Location: The end of the northwest passage

10 Aug 2017, 2:11 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
^ Well lady jrjones, you know, normally men don't get invited to a bachelorette party.

Bartenders or anyone in a service industry should encounter them occasionally. Even anyone who goes out to nightclub districts.

We do have lots of sheltered people who make sweeping generalizations.

Also, is that a sexist dig or am I overthinking it? Every time I post in this forum, I half expect trolling posts from you. FR, half the time I see any new thread here, I look forward to seeing those posts.


_________________
A fish in water doesn't know it's wet


Last edited by jrjones9933 on 10 Aug 2017, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,657
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

10 Aug 2017, 2:15 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
^ Well lady jrjones, you know, normally men don't get invited to a bachelorette party.

Bartenders or anyone in a service industry should encounter them occasionally. Even anyone who goes out to nightclub districts.

We do have lots of sheltered people who make sweeping generalizations.

Also, is that a sexist dig or am I overthinking it?


Well, a female acquaintance once showed me videos of a bachelorette party with a male stripper.
Like the leaked videos you see on the net, they giggle like sillies all the time and scream frequently "Woooooo!!.



sly279
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,451
Location: US

10 Aug 2017, 6:02 pm

The city next to me has a male strip club. One lady I dated for one date told me her and her friends went to it often.



Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2014
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,875
Location: Australia

10 Aug 2017, 8:00 pm

Is it really.an argument whether men or women are sexualized and judged on their appearance more?

Sure, women are attracted to the male body. But its pretty obvious society places a big emphasis on female beauty and physical attractiveness, almost to the point boys and men's faces and bodies are almost automatically considered 'ugly' to society.

Its probably partly cultural (think how ancient greeks and romans actually idolized.male beauty and masculinity) and biological (masculinity, femininity and.standards of beauty such as symmetrically, good waist to hip ratio, sexual dimorphism, etc. Remain universally attractive across all cultures).

Going off the male stripper example, something tells.me there's far more female strippers, at least portrayed in the media, than male strippers.

The fact there's no ugly female porn stars while men like Ron Jeremy can be is another sign.

Who is makeup made for in mind? Why's there maybe three times as.many hair,.makeup, deodorant products for women vs men at every store?

Because women use it more. Why do women use.it more? Because they want to,because they have to due to beauty standards, or both?

How come theres probably about three times as many women's clothes at the clothes store than men?



amykitten
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 17 Sep 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 120

11 Aug 2017, 12:22 am

I dislike the female body. I find woman and boobs pretty but the vulva isn't my thing. There are exceptions to this, but very rare. I prefer male bodies and happy to watch them, I watch naked attraction which is a nude dating show, but some are very off putting. Plus you get so many dick pics as a woman on a dating site the novelty wears off.



Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2017
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 609
Location: Sweden

11 Aug 2017, 1:40 am

amykitten wrote:
I dislike the female body. I find woman and boobs pretty but the vulva isn't my thing. There are exceptions to this, but very rare. I prefer male bodies and happy to watch them, I watch naked attraction which is a nude dating show, but some are very off putting. Plus you get so many dick pics as a woman on a dating site the novelty wears off.


I cannot for the life of me figure out why so many guys does this.. :roll:



rdos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2005
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,783
Location: Sweden

11 Aug 2017, 2:54 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
^ Well lady jrjones, you know, normally men don't get invited to a bachelorette party.

Bartenders or anyone in a service industry should encounter them occasionally. Even anyone who goes out to nightclub districts.

We do have lots of sheltered people who make sweeping generalizations.

Also, is that a sexist dig or am I overthinking it?


Well, a female acquaintance once showed me videos of a bachelorette party with a male stripper.
Like the leaked videos you see on the net, they giggle like sillies all the time and scream frequently "Woooooo!!.


I've seen male strip shows online. They typically have a "no touch" rule to protect the stripper from the women. :mrgreen:



rdos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2005
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,783
Location: Sweden

11 Aug 2017, 2:57 am

Closet Genious wrote:
amykitten wrote:
I dislike the female body. I find woman and boobs pretty but the vulva isn't my thing. There are exceptions to this, but very rare. I prefer male bodies and happy to watch them, I watch naked attraction which is a nude dating show, but some are very off putting. Plus you get so many dick pics as a woman on a dating site the novelty wears off.


I cannot for the life of me figure out why so many guys does this.. :roll:


My guess is that they want to make sure that the women they want to date know they expect a lot of sex. It has nothing to do with flashing at least.



The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,657
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

11 Aug 2017, 3:10 am

Also Jamsey is equating penis to the 'male body', this is kinda ridiculous.

I mentioned in the other thread:

Quote:
^ Look, I have heard it from the mouths of many women, not from guys, Even my girlfriend told me that she finds the Rock and Vin Diesel as her sexiest idols.

Vin Diesel probably is the most celeb name frequently mentioned as the hottest guy ever I've ever heard (usually by women in the 30-40 age bracket), Hugh Jackman as the Wolverine guy comes next, while the Rock is too beefy for many though and less frequently mentioned.

It's not like I've heard these names from women in one or two times occurrences, but like in countless of times.



Miss Rebecca
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 11 Aug 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 3
Location: Australia

11 Aug 2017, 3:22 am

I don't think women are grossed out by the male body at all. Well I'm certainly not; often it's a beautiful thing.
However, having a male whip his genitals out unexpectedly and unwantingly is most likely simply that; unwanted.
It's the action of forcing the female to view his genitals regardless of her choice to want to do so or not that's ugly; not so much the body part.
Boobs and bums are much less explicit than genitals.


_________________
Emotional Dysregulation
Neurodivergent non AS
INTJ
You sound so angry, just calm down, you found me - The Strokes


rdos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2005
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,783
Location: Sweden

11 Aug 2017, 3:40 am

blackicmenace wrote:
I find it surprising that males report more negative attitudes towards flashing. I would imagine there would be a difference between a male flashing a group of women to that of a male flashing a woman by herself since a group of women would have support from others to make them feel safer about the encounter while a singled out woman might feel much more vulnerable to the encounter. I would also imagine the individual's personal reward system would come into play as well and play some part in how they feel about this type of behavior.


The only problem with that is that this effect was absent in Russia. It might be argued that because females in Russia did not give higher disgust ratings when they disliked flashing, we wouldn't expect them to give lower ratings in a group either. Which does go back to safety of course, and the beliefs in the West that flashers are dangerous.

blackicmenace wrote:
Not surprised that culture has a significant impact on how this type of behavior is ultimately viewed as primitive humans wouldn't have as many stigmas and social expectations to deal with. I would imagine covering up was more about survival than aesthetics and social expectations developed over time and throughout different cultures. Thanks for posting the study, I will check it out.


I wouldn't exactly call Russia primitive. :mrgreen: