Why are women so triggered by the friendzone?

Page 1 of 18 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 3:00 pm

Because of feminism.

In the vast majority of cases, the term is shorthand for being used, often deliberately by someone who, solely by the virtue of being female, has plausible deniability. The rhetoric of a guy who simply throws a fit over just being "friend" material is not much more than a strawman. These butthurt women are angry that they're being called on their bs, and then you have white knights who defend them with some nonsense about objectification, which is entirely normal behavior on both sides.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 3:47 pm

There are men who definitively throw a fit over being in the "friendzone."

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

SilverBoltsisWmax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Sep 2017, 4:06 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

Well to be fair the friendzone is a joke that's why.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 6:13 pm

They guy being friend zoned probably doesn't want to be friends with a woman who loves but will never love him back. I certainly don't. It's emotional painful on a daily basis. I'd rather be told they don't find me attractive and move on

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 6:18 pm

^ that's exactly what they're saying by putting you in the friendzone.
Only you're supposed to recognise that there's no chance for you and move on yourself.
That way there are supposedly no hard feelings.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 6:28 pm

It's not a very nice feeling to know that you are in someone's "friendzone." Trust me, I have been "friendzoned" many times!

And so have basically most guys and gals.

But I have to live with it, and move on.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 6:37 pm

I am not sure how common this really is...I mean maybe, but I certainly would not do any of that because a guy says they were friendzoned by a girl they were interested in romantically...unless they act sexist/misogynistic about it. I mean of course the friendzone exists and not much that can be done about that as if someone does not have romantic feelings for a person then at most that person can be a friend but nothing more.

Is this something that happened to you, or something you have observed, and are we talking online, IRL or both? I mean I would say women who attack a guy just because he's disappointed about being friendzoned maybe have some kind of chip on their shoulder...maybe some of them have had really bad experiences with guys they frienzoned who turned around and abused them for it. Either way kind of a bold assumption that just because a guy expresses some disappointment he must be a sexist misogynist.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 6:38 pm

Women can be "friendzoned," too.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 6:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Women can be "friendzoned," too.

True.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 6:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's not a very nice feeling to know that you are in someone's "friendzone." Trust me, I have been "friendzoned" many times!

Sure, I have also experienced individual people I wanted to sex up having no interest in it, too. Neither you nor I set about making a map of the phenomenon. We didn't embed a bunch of tired old sexist ideas into the map and generalize it to apply to all women, as though one could accurately predict and become what all women want. We didn't make millions selling courses to an army of ethically sketchy devotees, either.

That's why I don't promote the use of the term. It seems valid on the surface, but comes laden with bad assumptions.

ETA, I did sort of try to make a map, but then I heard the Genesis song Counting Out Time and realized that people require more than a map.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:06 pm

I agree about the assumptions.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:08 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Only you're supposed to recognise that there's no chance for you and move on yourself.

What fun would that be? ;-)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:10 pm

Don't really understand the fedora reference in the OP.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:12 pm

Raleigh wrote:

No that's what they means when they say let's just be friends

Friend zone is where the woman you like keeps asking to hangout with you and do stuff with you but just as friends

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:27 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Sure, I have also experienced individual people I wanted to sex up having no interest in it, too. Neither you nor I set about making a map of the phenomenon. We didn't embed a bunch of tired old sexist ideas into the map and generalize it to apply to all women, as though one could accurately predict and become what all women want. We didn't make millions selling courses to an army of ethically sketchy devotees, either.

That's why I don't promote the use of the term. It seems valid on the surface, but comes laden with bad assumptions.

ETA, I did sort of try to make a map, but then I heard the Genesis song Counting Out Time and realized that people require more than a map.

Good to know how high above you feel, over the poor guys who buy those programs.

Also good to know, that basing your perspective off of 50 years worth of research and observation, is completely stupid, while basing it off of a genesis song is not. They did make some good tunes after all...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:52 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

But see, in the mindset of some posters here when men are hysterical and irrational it's perfectly justified, but when people who lack a Y chromosome do it, it's clearly due to their inability to be reasonable and absolutely unjustified. Just don't call them sexist or misogynistic or they'll have a meltdown. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う