Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

honeymiel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2017, 3:58 am

I am struggling a lot with a relationship that has been very important to me and would appreciate some outside perspective.

My boyfriend and I (long distance) were together for 9 mths. I know him through mutual friends, have known him a long time and we started out as best friends before deciding that our connection was so strong/unique that neither of us had felt it before and it was worth trying to do the long distance thing. Our relationship was mostly easy and just generally good, and I spent time with him in person (he's only 1 hr plane ride away)

A few months ago he told me he was experiencing a lot of stress/pressure and predicted that between then (September) and the end of the year, he wouldn't have much time/mental space for our relationship. He wasn't sure if we would survive that time since we already were long distance, but we agreed to stay together and I told him I'd be supportive. However, I wasn't - I got insecure and kept messaging him as much as before, would get very upset when he wouldn't respond for a few days and he would only message/call a little. He started getting angry with me over a few things I said/did, but I was too insecure to change it. Note: his reasons for being stressed are very valid but too much to go into here

We then had a phone call 6 weeks ago and I asked him if he wanted to break up and he stayed silent (I think meaning he was unsure). I then asked him why he hasn't broken up with me yet and he said "I thought things would get easier but they've just gotten harder. I have to step back from one of my priorities for now and unfortunately that is intimate relationships". I asked him when we could talk next and he said he didn't know. We hung up and a few days later, after he was continuing to ignore messages I had a bit of a meltdown and sent him what must have been 30 messages and a few missed phone calls - he'd expressed he didn't like this on the phone call. He didn't respond to any of it

I then stopped messaging for a week and sent him an apology, which he read. I have messaged once a week since then, either apologising or telling him I miss him/am proud of him/know he was doing his best. He still hasn't spoken to me in 6 weeks

It's only now that I'm looking back and wondering if that was a breakup line and I didn't get the hint? He knows I have ASD (and abandonment issues that I'm getting help for now since I kept being insecure with him). I find it hard to believe he would just "abandon" me like this when he obviously can tell I didn't get the hint since I've continued to try and be a supportive girlfriend

I've seen a counsellor and still can't figure it out. I don't know if he broke up with me, or just got overwhelmed/fed up and needed to take space. Do you think he might come back when things get easier for him?

I may have pushed him away but I haven't had any more meltdowns since apologising and promising to change

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 7:44 am

I honestly don't know how to respond to this or what might be going through your boyfriend's head... maybe you should just give him space and let him be the one to contact you next and when he does then talk things out. Send him a message where you tell him to contact you when it's a good moment for him so you can talk things out, then leave the next move to him. I think it's still possible that he wants to be with you, but that he thinks you're being too pushy and are making him uncomfortable... maybe. I've never been in a situation like that so I can't give advice that is based on experience, but I hope you find some kind of solution.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 7:59 am

:?:

honeymiel wrote:
I am struggling a lot with a relationship that has been very important to me and would appreciate some outside perspective.

My boyfriend and I (long distance) were together for 9 mths. I know him through mutual friends, have known him a long time and we started out as best friends before deciding that our connection was so strong/unique that neither of us had felt it before and it was worth trying to do the long distance thing. Our relationship was mostly easy and just generally good, and I spent time with him in person (he's only 1 hr plane ride away)

A few months ago he told me he was experiencing a lot of stress/pressure and predicted that between then (September) and the end of the year, he wouldn't have much time/mental space for our relationship. He wasn't sure if we would survive that time since we already were long distance, but we agreed to stay together and I told him I'd be supportive. However, I wasn't - I got insecure and kept messaging him as much as before, would get very upset when he wouldn't respond for a few days and he would only message/call a little. He started getting angry with me over a few things I said/did, but I was too insecure to change it. Note: his reasons for being stressed are very valid but too much to go into here

We then had a phone call 6 weeks ago and I asked him if he wanted to break up and he stayed silent (I think meaning he was unsure). I then asked him why he hasn't broken up with me yet and he said "I thought things would get easier but they've just gotten harder. I have to step back from one of my priorities for now and unfortunately that is intimate relationships". I asked him when we could talk next and he said he didn't know. We hung up and a few days later, after he was continuing to ignore messages I had a bit of a meltdown and sent him what must have been 30 messages and a few missed phone calls - he'd expressed he didn't like this on the phone call. He didn't respond to any of it

I then stopped messaging for a week and sent him an apology, which he read. I have messaged once a week since then, either apologising or telling him I miss him/am proud of him/know he was doing his best. He still hasn't spoken to me in 6 weeks

It's only now that I'm looking back and wondering if that was a breakup line and I didn't get the hint? He knows I have ASD (and abandonment issues that I'm getting help for now since I kept being insecure with him). I find it hard to believe he would just "abandon" me like this when he obviously can tell I didn't get the hint since I've continued to try and be a supportive girlfriend

I've seen a counsellor and still can't figure it out. I don't know if he broke up with me, or just got overwhelmed/fed up and needed to take space. Do you think he might come back when things get easier for him?

I may have pushed him away but I haven't had any more meltdowns since apologising and promising to change

If it where me I'd ditch that arse and get on with my life...I mean what exactly are you 'apologizing for' did you do anything wrong or is he just making you feel that way? He wants it to be 'easy' because he doesn't want to confront that he rejected you like an a**hole when he could have had the chance to get to know you? I mean do you want you're entire relationship and rest of life to consist of appologizing to a jerk who never even attempts to consider your feelings and wont even view you as a person.

If anything you should work on yourself and not try to go to those places to prove yourself. I mean the only person who wants a gf who apologizes for any and everything all the time is an abuser who manipulates them to act that way. Oh' what you talked to someone of the male gender that wasn't me, time for yore beating....and people on Facebook are so out of touch they support this kind of sex trafficking of female teens or women. By supporting their gross Alabama congressmen who thinks there is nothing wrong with 40 year old pressuring teenage girls into sex with them under threats like being shot, or worse rape happening to them if they resisted.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 8:16 am

You've missed the hint big time, but it takes 2 to tango and to be fair he hasn't had the guts to make it clear to you where you stand which IMO is wrong.

It hurts, but there are other guys your part of the world waiting.
Sorry this has had to happen to yourself.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 11:26 am

Spending hours everydsy in front of screen chating with someone is very tiring.

Eventually it feels like not a real relationship. It doesn’t feel like *living* a relationship.

This how LDRs typically end btw.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 11:28 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
honeymiel wrote:

If it where me I'd ditch that arse and get on with my life...I mean what exactly are you 'apologizing for' did you do anything wrong or is he just making you feel that way? He wants it to be 'easy' because he doesn't want to confront that he rejected you like an a**hole when he could have had the chance to get to know you? I mean do you want you're entire relationship and rest of life to consist of appologizing to a jerk who never even attempts to consider your feelings and wont even view you as a person.

If anything you should work on yourself and not try to go to those places to prove yourself. I mean the only person who wants a gf who apologizes for any and everything all the time is an abuser who manipulates them to act that way. Oh' what you talked to someone of the male gender that wasn't me, time for yore beating....and people on Facebook are so out of touch they support this kind of sex trafficking of female teens or women. By supporting their gross Alabama congressmen who thinks there is nothing wrong with 40 year old pressuring teenage girls into sex with them under threats like being shot, or worse rape happening to them if they resisted.

The Venus Warrior at it again!! !
Yoohoo!

I am sure if the guy is the one who sent 30 messages in a row you would have accused him of harassment.

liminal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2017, 5:53 pm

Long distant relationships usually turn sour. Especially when there is a breakdown in communication.

If he is not talking to you in 6 weeks, and he is ignoring all of your messages, then it is obvious that he does not want to be in a relationship with you. Time for you to move on.

honeymiel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2017, 7:35 pm

liminal wrote:
Long distant relationships usually turn sour. Especially when there is a breakdown in communication.

If he is not talking to you in 6 weeks, and he is ignoring all of your messages, then it is obvious that he does not want to be in a relationship with you. Time for you to move on.

It's not obvious to me. I've spoken to our mutual friends and they told me (reminded me) this isn't uncommon for him to do when he's stressed. He often will withdraw for a few months and then come back when he's dealt with whatever was going on. He's admitted to me before he struggles to know how to conduct himself in serious relationships

All that is obvious to me is that he doesn't want to put anything into the relationship at this particular moment. The relationship itself didn't turn sour either, it was only to do with his withdrawal

So I don't know what he wants, and last time I spoke to him he said he didn't know either. Just doesn't want to deal with it maybe

I've tried moving on and I am finding it impossible

Last edited by honeymiel on 23 Nov 2017, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

honeymiel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2017, 7:36 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
You've missed the hint big time, but it takes 2 to tango and to be fair he hasn't had the guts to make it clear to you where you stand which IMO is wrong.

Do you think it's possible he doesn't know where he stands because he has other things he needs to prioritise and deal with right now?

honeymiel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2017, 7:42 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
honeymiel wrote:

What I apologised for was being pushy and not respecting his boundaries. I was messaging/calling too much and getting upset when he wouldn't respond. I recognise now (as someone else here said) that it is harassment but I was so upset and insecure at the time that I couldn't see that. I also got a bit demanding and gave him an ultimatum. He was annoyed because I had told him that I would be supportive and back off the relationship a bit while he was dealing with his current issues, and I basically did the opposite and got very needy.

So I had to apologise and show that I could change that behaviour. That's what I've been working on, as well as seeing a counsellor. I've never been serious enough about a relationship to identify and work on my own issues like this

And so I'm obviously heartbroken and confused that he hasn't 'forgiven' me yet, and I'm unsure if that means he is done or if he is taking his space and may forgive me later

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 2:49 am

He is not interested and counting on you giving up eventually. To me, he very clearly broke up with you by saying he doesn’t want intimate relationships. It’s a very clear message, I’d advise you to stop, unless you want a restraining order against you.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 2:54 am

honeymiel wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:

Do you think it's possible he doesn't know where he stands because he has other things he needs to prioritise and deal with right now?

No. He broke up with you. Sorry girl, you’ll meet someone else. Time to back off. It’s harassment sending uninterested people 30 messages. Be kind to yourself and move on with your life.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Nov 2017, 5:09 am

honeymiel wrote:
liminal wrote:

It's not obvious to me. I've spoken to our mutual friends and they told me (reminded me) this isn't uncommon for him to do when he's stressed. He often will withdraw for a few months and then come back when he's dealt with whatever was going on. He's admitted to me before he struggles to know how to conduct himself in serious relationships

All that is obvious to me is that he doesn't want to put anything into the relationship at this particular moment. The relationship itself didn't turn sour either, it was only to do with his withdrawal

So I don't know what he wants, and last time I spoke to him he said he didn't know either. Just doesn't want to deal with it maybe

If it really isn't uncommon for him to withdraw you need to ask yourself if you can really handle a long-term relationship with someone who will withdraw every time things become tough instead of putting in his share of the effort to make things work.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 5:18 am

How often have you met face to face?

honeymiel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2017, 1:58 pm

nick007 wrote:
honeymiel wrote:
liminal wrote:

If it really isn't uncommon for him to withdraw you need to ask yourself if you can really handle a long-term relationship with someone who will withdraw every time things become tough instead of putting in his share of the effort to make things work.

When the issue has been between us (which was rare) he has put in the effort. But this withdrawal wasn't to do with us, and I'd agreed to take a step back and let him deal with the things going on in his life which are quite pressing. But then I wasn't able to do that at first, and he did try on his part but I think gave up. And I am not sure if he was reiterating that his other concerns were more pressing than our relationship, or if he was ending things with me

And if he was indeed ending it, would it make sense for him to come back when he's gotten through these difficult few months?

I can't move on because he's been the most important person in my life for most of the last two years since we were best friends before getting involved

And obviously I'm not coping with this very well because I'm asking a forum to read his mind and nobody can really tell me but him

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 2:49 pm

I can see you’re stuggling to let go. It’s normal for people to come up with reasons why they’re doing it as the thought they might come back is comforting. Just back off for a while, leave the ball in his court, and try to to do and think about other things. If he comes back, that’s great, but I wouldn’t count on it.