I did an experiement with plenty of fish.com (guys read)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 10:11 am

kelain wrote:
So, women should make up half the population... but a female profile attracts 200x+ the messages of a male one... This confirms my experience BTW, the responses I've gotten from various profiles are about 25% spam and 75% no answer.

Anybody have a theory on why this is? Do women dislike men? That would be my hypothesis... but there's coming up on 7 billion humans walking around.

I'm intensely curious on how a guy is supposed to meet women when they seem to be hiding, and surrounded by the attention of a couple hundred guys whenever they come out from wherever they are. The math does not work out on this...

I think that it's the following reasons:

-just that most women go after a minority of men (and likewise, most men go after a minority of women). If you're in that minority, you'll be fending off the opposite sex with a stick. if you're not, there's a high chance your life will be a solo flight.* But men i think tend to be the biggest losers or the biggest winners of the dating game.
-it is trivial for women to get casual sex if they want it, unless they're disfigured, old or live in a desert island (it appears to be that way for gay men also). Note that I'm talking about how things are and not about how they should be.
-most women get a kick from being able to get men's attention (even though they may not want it all the time and certainly not from all men), hence even if they're not really looking, some will sign up for online dating just for the ego boost of getting a gazillion messages.
-women get taught to play hard to get, men get taught to be the pursuers - also see point above, making it hard for men is also an ego boost for some women.

*roughly, the average man I would say is attracted 60% by looks, 30% by how easily he thinks he'll get laid, 10% everything else. Whereas the average woman I would say is attracted 60% by wealth, power and social status, 30% by looks and 10% everything else. Hence the popularity of slu*ty airheads with large breasts, and the saying that money is the most powerful aphrodisiac for women; it probably also explains why wife-beaters don't seem to have any difficulty finding women (physical violence -> a form of power). At the opposite extreme, you get disfigured women and male introverts with poor social skills who are not rich.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

kelain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2008, 7:46 pm

pbcoll wrote:
-just that most women go after a minority of men (and likewise, most men go after a minority of women). If you're in that minority, you'll be fending off the opposite sex with a stick. if you're not, there's a high chance your life will be a solo flight.* But men i think tend to be the biggest losers or the biggest winners of the dating game.
-it is trivial for women to get casual sex if they want it, unless they're disfigured, old or live in a desert island (it appears to be that way for gay men also). Note that I'm talking about how things are and not about how they should be.
-most women get a kick from being able to get men's attention (even though they may not want it all the time and certainly not from all men), hence even if they're not really looking, some will sign up for online dating just for the ego boost of getting a gazillion messages.
-women get taught to play hard to get, men get taught to be the pursuers - also see point above, making it hard for men is also an ego boost for some women.

*roughly, the average man I would say is attracted 60% by looks, 30% by how easily he thinks he'll get laid, 10% everything else. Whereas the average woman I would say is attracted 60% by wealth, power and social status, 30% by looks and 10% everything else. Hence the popularity of slu*ty airheads with large breasts, and the saying that money is the most powerful aphrodisiac for women; it probably also explains why wife-beaters don't seem to have any difficulty finding women (physical violence -> a form of power). At the opposite extreme, you get disfigured women and male introverts with poor social skills who are not rich.

Fairly insightful IMO, thanks.

Am I the only one who thinks it sucks to be a guy?

JonSnow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2008, 8:00 pm

kelain wrote:

No you're not the only one. The normal model of men having to be the pursuers, is just f*****g depressing if you're not socially capable of filling that role.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 2:14 am

JonSnow wrote:
kelain wrote:

No you're not the only one. The normal model of men having to be the pursuers, is just f***ing depressing if you're not socially capable of filling that role.

Guys are getting screwed right now in terms of relationships. The only guys that are happy are the alcoholic/drug addict womanizers who get to sleep around constantly. You never hear about women complaining that guys only like mean girls who act like jerks and that they can't get a date. Women want equality, but have 100% of the power in whether there is a relationship or not. Why? Because they refuse to ask a guy out, so the man has to take 100% of the risk and humiliation/rejection if things go sour. The woman automatically has all the power, and that continues into the relationship... if she is unhappy with him she can just get rid of him because there are tons more where that came from. I know the AS women on this site may be offended, but I'm talking mainly about NT women here.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 4:26 am

JonSnow wrote:
kelain wrote:

No you're not the only one. The normal model of men having to be the pursuers, is just f***ing depressing if you're not socially capable of filling that role.

Or if you just have higher aims in life.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 7:46 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
most men on dating sites have no dignity and whore themselves to the lowest bid.

Why going so far? Just look at the dating threads started by teen girls and see how many adult men drool over.

Thats because these men cannot handle a real woman. They feel they have to try and get a younger (possibly more naive) version that they can play with and mould into whatever they wnat them to be. Plus it's a nice little trophy for them just so they can say 'I pulled this'. I don't think I'd feel much like a real woman if I turned up with a 16 year old boy on my arm. In fact I'd feel ashamed (I'm 26 years old).