Was this a good way to be direct with me?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 5:55 pm

Hi:
I ended up remembering something that had happened a very long time ago but I thought I would bring it up. This happened when I was 6 years old where I was playing with a neighbor kid at his house. His father happened to have another male guest over and they were watching a movie for grown-ups. My friend and I had wanted to hang out with them and were told that the movie they were watching was not for us. We ended up bothering them twice. My playmate didn't want to take any of his dad's suggestions so he was taken to his room. Meanwhile, I tried to be friendly with the other guest when he looked directly at me and firmly said:
"Go!" I took that hint and said "Bye" to him and he responded with the same before walking out the door to go home.

I would like to know if short responses like that are good for being direct with people who have autism and aspergers

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 6:12 pm

Yes.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 9:40 pm

As a child, I probably would not have understood where I was supposed to go.

"Go home" I would have understood.

Love transcends all.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 5:17 am

I was able to understand that I needed to go home even though he told me one word.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 4:24 pm

I know you understood, but I really doubt I would have. Maybe by age 12 or so I would have gotten it -- certainly by the time I was in my mid-teens.

For me (both now and when I was a child), brevity is useless if it doesn't add clarity. (And counter-productive, if it reduces clarity by making me guess at unspoken things.)

Love transcends all.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 8:32 am

How would you tell a 6-year-old to that it's time for them to leave rather than just say "Go?"

aloofdeer
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2016, 1:48 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
How would you tell a 6-year-old to that it's time for them to leave rather than just say "Go?"

If they were that young I would politely say "Its time for you to go home." Or call their parent.