Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 7:00 pm

Sabreclaw wrote:
I just don't feel the same way as you do on this.

yep, that's ultimately my point. different people feel differently about it

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 8:26 pm

The vast majority of the general population are 'boring'.

The fact boringness is subjective plays a part in it, but it's also the fact that most people live, or at least attempt to, live relatively simplistic lifestyles. And that's okay.

Most people simply go to school, then get a job they're satisfied with, one that does or does not require a degree, then work till they retire and live in comfort in their retirement.

Life is meaningless and pointless, so we attempt to add meaning to said life through religion and spirituality, having hopes and dreams, hobbies and our relationship with family, friends, and partners.

But really, perhaps it's always existed, but it's only in this millenial generation that I see everyone trying too hard to be 'unique' or different from the crowd.

Sure, subcultures like Skaters, Goths, Preps, Nerds, etc. have existed for quite a while, but I don't think everyone back then was trying to be an interesting special little snowflake.

I have also seen recent trends in more people identifying as a different sexuality or gender. 'Sapiosexual' is having sexual attraction to intelligence and it's a B.S. attempt to be different. Just go on Tumblr and you'll find people creating new labels for every single facet of their personality.

Anyway, I think the important thing is to be with someone YOU don't find boring, no matter what you're definition of 'boring' is.

Though, of course, some hobbies and some people are generally considered by the majority of the population to be more 'boring' than others.

If I'm into sciencey gals who babble on and on and on about it and can't talk about pop culture at all, well, lucky me! :)

And Sabreclaw, that's what I personally LOVE about 'boring' and 'uninteresting' women who spend most of their time just working, browsing facebook on their phone, and maybe watching tv or movies here and there - some of them can be very warm and loving and value the people in their life more, rather than some feminist vegan new age social extraverted musician, actor, writer, dancer hipster who travels the world with 3,000 friends on facebook.

Studies show popular people focus more on quantity and may have more connections, but they tend to be weaker ones too. The 'super interesting' women would have much less time for me, too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 8:54 pm

"Boring" is relative.

I don't happen to find many people who are considered "boring" boring.

In many ways, people would find me "boring." I'm not the extraverted type. I like to stay home and watch sports. I don't care for the latest fashions. I'm not "into everything." I'm just very much a "regular guy." I'm sort of similar to that guy from "King of Queens." Or Raymond from "Everybody Loves Raymond." I'm not like Jerry Seinfeld; I'm not that quirky, witty, etc.

If somebody finds me "boring," then it's tough nuggies on them!

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 9:00 pm

Outrider wrote:
The vast majority of the general population are 'boring'.

The fact boringness is subjective plays a part in it, but it's also the fact that most people live, or at least attempt to, live relatively simplistic lifestyles. And that's okay.

Most people simply go to school, then get a job they're satisfied with, one that does or does not require a degree, then work till they retire and live in comfort in their retirement.

Life is meaningless and pointless, so we attempt to add meaning to said life through religion and spirituality, having hopes and dreams, hobbies and our relationship with family, friends, and partners.

But really, perhaps it's always existed, but it's only in this millenial generation that I see everyone trying too hard to be 'unique' or different from the crowd.

Sure, subcultures like Skaters, Goths, Preps, Nerds, etc. have existed for quite a while, but I don't think everyone back then was trying to be an interesting special little snowflake.

I have also seen recent trends in more people identifying as a different sexuality or gender. 'Sapiosexual' is having sexual attraction to intelligence and it's a B.S. attempt to be different. Just go on Tumblr and you'll find people creating new labels for every single facet of their personality.

Anyway, I think the important thing is to be with someone YOU don't find boring, no matter what you're definition of 'boring' is.

Though, of course, some hobbies and some people are generally considered by the majority of the population to be more 'boring' than others.

If I'm into sciencey gals who babble on and on and on about it and can't talk about pop culture at all, well, lucky me! :)

And Sabreclaw, that's what I personally LOVE about 'boring' and 'uninteresting' women who spend most of their time just working, browsing facebook on their phone, and maybe watching tv or movies here and there - some of them can be very warm and loving and value the people in their life more, rather than some feminist vegan new age social extraverted musician, actor, writer, dancer hipster who travels the world with 3,000 friends on facebook.

Studies show popular people focus more on quantity and may have more connections, but they tend to be weaker ones too. The 'super interesting' women would have much less time for me, too.

Now we're getting into a definition debate here. By "boring" I simply mean somebody you simply can't just do anything fun with at all; they bore you, always. Their conversations bore you, their interests bore you, etcetera.

I don't have anything against simple girls with simple, non-pretentious tastes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 9:07 pm

boring is relative.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 9:09 pm

Outrider wrote:

people sometimes point at this or that thing and say "this is proof that god exists". i don't buy any of those arguments. but if someone points at that and says it's proof that the devil exists, i'll be tempted to accept the argument. it just makes me cringe so hard. victimgendered people. "i'm soooo oppressed. it's, like, i mean, you know, my life is, like, soooo much harder and, like, complicated, than, like, everybody else's, you know? simple is sooo overrated anyway. so passé"

i don't identify with what's expected from my gender either, but i don't think it's anybody's obligation to figure out what i'm comfortable with or bend over backwards to follow my ideas of how things should or shouldn't be. there's such a thing as reality

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 9:24 pm

Sabreclaw wrote:
Now we're getting into a definition debate here. By "boring" I simply mean somebody you simply can't just do anything fun with at all; they bore you, always. Their conversations bore you, their interests bore you, etcetera.

but then if you look at it that way, it doesn't make sense to think of "boring" as an attribute independent from context. if you look at it from the point of view that "boring is someone who bores you", then no one can be "a boring person" if you don't mention "boring to whom". which is really what matters. if you bore the people you want to be together with / surrounded by, then yes, that's a problem (either you're looking for the wrong people, or maybe you're depressed and should probably do something about it). otherwise, it's not a problem

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 3:53 pm

I sometimes think I'm probably boring to other people. I don't think that being boring is exactly a bad thing though, at least for me. I mean, I would rather be around another boring person than someone who's the opposite and tries to create drama all the time.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 7:58 pm

given a choice between boring and drama, i'd choose boring.

Sawke
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Aug 2016, 4:47 pm

You don't have to care, but you should care about alienating people who could make your life difficult. Try to engage people in their interests. Ask questions, sound perky, you never know you might find there is something to learn from them. Al your interests are fine. But remember people may not want to hear about it all the time. I struggle with that myself. Your mind is beautiful! sometimes you just have to bend to other peoples wills for the sake of peace.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 4:51 pm

^^^took me a long time to learn that. decades. :oops:

Sawke
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Sep 2016, 5:21 pm

auntblabby wrote:

It's difficult to understand, even for the average person.I still forget. i feel like the information i learn sticks better if i speak it. But when people don't ask questions because they aren't interested, it's not much good. I think i take liberties with my family more than others.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 8:36 pm

Sawke wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

It's difficult to understand, even for the average person.I still forget. i feel like the information i learn sticks better if i speak it. But when people don't ask questions because they aren't interested, it's not much good. I think i take liberties with my family more than others.

your family's the ones that goughta [portmanteau word] take you when nobody else will. :idea:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 9:22 pm

Find someone who enjoys video games, reading writing and they won't find you boring.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 10:08 pm

it would be nice if I could luck into somebody who enjoyed me [in a nice way]. :flower:

Dr.Pepper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Sep 2016, 11:14 pm

You may just have interests that are different than most people's. That doesn't make you boring; it makes you obscure, which makes you extremely interesting. You just haven't come across people who appreciate your rarity.

You'll meet the people who appreciate what you have to offer by doing what you enjoy. (That sounds like such good advice but I'm in the same boat as you-- a boat for one. But hey, you can row wherever you like. [Is that sad? I don't care.]) :D