Do you think this was unfair the way she reacted!

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 6:01 pm

I know this was a long time ago but still....

8 years ago I remember I was at a big social get together in town. Later on we walked back from town to a friends house and I think I said something to this girl roughly along the lines of "that pizza your eating looks good" and she said "sorry I don't really know who you are" and obviously she didn't speak to me after that.

Do you think that reaction of hers was uncalled for or not?

Admittedly (especially back then) I was an attention seeker, really aggressive and I was a bit scruffy/weird looking too i guess.

fselzr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2017, 6:22 pm

It was definitely very unfair. She should and have to respect you, while you respected her. Probably she wasn't wise and wasn't a worthy person.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 7:23 pm

what is it with 8 years ago, why are you fixated on this time period?

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:33 am

Maybe she thought you were trying to hit on her but also thought you were weird. She didn't have to ignore you the rest of the night.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:46 am

I would have said: "yeah, it's good, and you can't have any....."

She sort of overreacted.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 10:31 am

I went back and read what you wrote and read it wrong but yes she did overreact but that's because she sounded like an uppity type. It's nothing against you. Some people think they are more important and she seems like that type.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 2:04 pm

It sounds like you were being friendly. She sounds like a stuck-up person. There is nothing wrong with being friendly.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 2:40 pm

When people talk to me like this I say one or two things

1. Namaste and walk away
2. Purple Tuna fish or something silly which is what Jennifer O'Toole suggested when reacting and responding.

Another answer would have been, "Well you have the opportunity to get meet a new person today. Hi, I am James and it's a pleasure to meet you." Offer to shake her hand. "Hi, how's it going?" Then just start talking by finding out about her and how she knows the other people who you know.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 6:09 am

Your attempt at breaking the ice sounded normal, though depending on how you went about it her reaction would have also been normal. You were a teenager. I'm guessing she was also a teenager and was told about stranger danger.

You're fixated with your teen years. Why is this?
That was 8 years ago.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jul 2017, 8:54 pm

Maybe she thought you were trying to ask her for some of her pizza & she didn't want to share. Even if that was the case it still sounds kinda snobbish.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 2:33 pm

^^ that's what i was thinking too. like she was REALLY into that pizza and not about to let anyone else in on it :lol:
not the nicest way to go about not sharing any pizza. but not terribly cruel either.
i would feel a little uncomfortable if someone i didn't know commented on how good my food looked, although i'd probably just say something like, "yep it's pretty good" and take a bite--thus signalling that i was unavailable for further conversation. maybe she has social issues herself and didn't mean to make you feel bad.

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jul 2017, 4:48 pm

Thats what people are like in the teenage years, when I spoke to girls around that age, incidents like that were universal. Its just how it is. Try to forget about it.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 2:20 am

Jamesy wrote:

8 years ago I remember I was at a big social get together in town. Later on we walked back from town to a friends house and I think I said something to this girl roughly along the lines of "that pizza your eating looks good" and she said "sorry I don't really know who you are" and obviously she didn't speak to me after that.

Admittedly (especially back then) I was an attention seeker, really aggressive and I was a bit scruffy/weird looking too i guess.

I don't think it's worth fixating on. It could be she was also on the spectrum and was told not to talk to strangers by her parents or she was stressed by the prospect of having to socialize or pretend to be interested in a conversation when she was not.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2017, 6:35 am

That kind of thing happens to me too. Some of it is cultural I think, NT culture that is. Some pretty girls think they are superior and can act in any way they like (they will lose their looks like everyone else)

I still cringe about someone the situations I have found myself in.

Someone I once knew a little was in car outside my house, I had not seen him for a while so I went outside to say hello. I went to the car and knocked on the window and asked was Chris there. I still really don't know what happened, they denied he was in the car (it was night) but I could hear them all falling around laughing and they were saying things to me which I did not understand. Finally I worked out they were making fun out of me so I went back in the house. Until I was diagnosed I was ashamed of myself for being so social awkward. That incident was 30 years ago but I can still remember how I felt once the penny dropped that I had not got the wrong end of the stick, they really were making fun of me.

BBC: Radio 4

wrongplanusert
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2017, 5:42 am

Jamesy wrote:

She was probably :D good looking, right? :o

That's how an arrogant person who doesn't think you can be any use to her will react ;)

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 3:43 pm

That was a very arrogant thing to say on her behalf and you have to be careful anymore because people have become very unpredictable anymore. It's like, no matter how nice you are, they are going to take your comments, say something rude and shoot you down.