Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jogogogo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Oct 2017, 1:19 pm

Last night I post on Facebook with the hashtag MeToo, a story that someone harassed me in a business meeting. I made some grammar mistakes because my native language is not English. But the post was readable and my friends could easily understand what I meant even with the mistakes.

A guy (who graduated of the some school as me) corrected me right away and joked about it: "I just point out a mistake you made, not touching you or anything", which made me feel quite offensive. I told him to focus on the content but not the grammar.
Then I post another one saying I felt offensive of his words. Another guy came and corrected me again.
I post a third one saying it's not funny. A third guy came and corrected me.
Is it cyberbullying? I'm weak at feeling emotion and I don't know why it would irritate the males only by saying my own experience?
Last night several girls post with MeToo on Facebook but nobody corrected them except doing it to me. It makes me really depressed the whole day and I couldn't go out for work.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 3:05 am

The first guy might have meant well; he just might be the kind of person who finds correct grammar really important. But the other two... well, I can't think of any other reason to do that than bullying, so I suppose it was. Since it was in Facebook you can always kick them out of your friend list if they bother you too much. If your profile is public then you can change that... of course changing the settings for a few idiots is a bit unfair, but if it gives you a bit more peace of mind then I think it'd be for the best.

jogogogo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Oct 2017, 4:09 am

Fireblossom wrote:
The first guy might have meant well; he just might be the kind of person who finds correct grammar really important. But the other two... well, I can't think of any other reason to do that than bullying, so I suppose it was. Since it was in Facebook you can always kick them out of your friend list if they bother you too much. If your profile is public then you can change that... of course changing the settings for a few idiots is a bit unfair, but if it gives you a bit more peace of mind then I think it'd be for the best.

What makes me feel uncomfortable is that the first post was my experience of being sexual harassed in a meeting, and the first guy replied that "I'm not touching you or anything". For me, it really sounds like insulting. I don't know if I over react but it is not cool at all.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 5:47 am

jogogogo wrote:
What makes me feel uncomfortable is that the first post was my experience of being sexual harassed in a meeting, and the first guy replied that "I'm not touching you or anything". For me, it really sounds like insulting. I don't know if I over react but it is not cool at all.

Now that you mention it, that part does make it sound like bullying... if he'd only pointed out grammar mistakes then he might have just wanted to help, but I don't see how he could have thought saying that would help, so maybe he did make you uncomfortable on purpose.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 8:30 am

That's not cyberbullying because they would be attacking you constantly.

Example- if you posted you you're "Me too" hashtag and by sharing your story and someone decided to tease you saying something cruel like "I always knew you were a loser and now everyone will know what you really are." You would also get text messages on your phone from people who were once your friends, you can get private messages with nasty photos.

What you seemed to have is a miserable person who obviously had nothing better to do.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 8:40 pm

I tend to agree with the last poster that it is not cyber bullying as it is not constant/in mass. But, I think it's telling that all the posters are guys - I'm thinking they might be trying to push back and/or resist against the campaign behind the "me too" posts - while they can't directly counter your story/try to call out BS (or they will themselves receive critic), they are nitpicking other things as a way to protest against the movement or weaken it. In other words, they're masochistic jerks.