Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 12:36 pm

Anyone else find these painful? I had a meltdown after one a few nights ago.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 1:28 pm

Hope you're bouncing back OK after the meltdown.

I always hated those things in any of the jobs I ever had. It's like all of the pressure to "pass" and over-stimulation that you would normally have to tolerate at a social gathering, but with the added pressure that there are people there with incredible power over your life, and you can't avoid seeing everyone again while they pick over everything that happened around the water-cooler. I also can't stand that fake drunken friendliness from people to whom you're just a 'cog in the machine' at any other time.

And of course, there's always that sneaking anxiety that if you don't go, it's a black mark against your name for "not having the team spirit."

I have as much of a circle of friends as I can cope with in my personal life, I don't want the added complication of personal relationships at work; I just want to get my job done and get paid. I can barely cope with a job as it is, but at the very least it has to exist in a very separate "compartment" to the rest of my life so that I have a chance to switch it off when I get home.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 5:14 am

The only reason I go is that team spirit anxiety. It’s very like that at my work, and if you don’t go, it’s a social mark against you.

It generally reminds me of how defective I am and I leave silently crying.

You can’t try to force people this normal to understand.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 3:47 pm

I’ve never been to any outside of work hours.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Nov 2017, 8:30 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I’ve never been to any outside of work hours.
Same here. The only job that had one was WalMart & it was kind of like a picnic for two stores. I wouldn't of gotten paid for it & I worked that night so I had a good reason not to go. I had been working a lot of overtime & really needed my sleep.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition