Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2017, 1:48 pm

I follow a Facebook page that posts cringey pictures and half the fun is when all the other followers make fun of each other in the comments. I've roasted my share of people on there too. It's all in good fun. But then today in a thread about dabbing I told the story of how my cousin who is in the marines accidentally dabbed in front of his drill sergeant who then made him do dabbing pushups. Someone replied to say that a bullet to his head would be a better punishment. I got mad and reported and blocked him but then everyone else started calling me out on not being able to take a joke. I dunno though. My cousin is in the marines and as much as I don't like to think about it it's very possible he could end up dying because of it. That someone would actually make a joke about killing him really pissed me off. And I don't think it went along with the spirit of playful ribbing that's usually displayed in those comments. Apparently I'm the only one who thinks so though. What do you guys think?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 2:07 pm

As a practical joker who role-plays as the mischievous Q from Star Trek and likes to dress up in costume like Q,
I would say it's not funny to joke around about a Marine getting shot in the head.
Especially with all the shootings we're seeing these days.

In the real world, I love a sense of humor ...
to clarify, I love a good-natured sense of humor.

If the guy making the rude remark on Facebook was a stranger to you,
there's even more cause for concern.
Who knows what this stranger is like? Maybe he has guns and a grudge against the Marines,
and could even be downright dangerous.

So what do I say?
I would like to thank your cousin in the Marines for his service to our country.
And wish you and all your family a Happy Thanksgiving.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2017, 2:32 pm

No one else has an opinion?

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Nov 2017, 3:00 pm

Saying someones family member should be shot in the head is not a joke, it is a mean and inappropriate thing to say, especially since you were talking about dabbing, not murder or molesting or something. Trolls say things like this to get a reaction and it sucks because it really does hit home sometimes, and there isn't much to do about it.

Definitely report it to Facebook, and the group administrator. If he does mean things on a regular basis he might get multiple complaints and something could come of it.