Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 1:15 pm

Last edited by CaptainTrips222 on 10 Oct 2009, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 3:21 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
You know what? I just got a letter from someone who dropped me, and they said something about cleaning their list, and narrowing it to people they've talked to in the last 3 months or so.

Uh, yeah, she really keeps in contact with all 300 + people on her list. God, I just don't get it.

I don't understand the whole Facebook thing. Just for kicks, I decided to make a list of every person I could think of from my past, whose first and last name I could remember. I got 15 people. A few of them I didn't like. A few I haven't seen since I was about 5. I guess, as I think, more names come to me, but mostly they are co-workers who I had nothing to say to when I worked with them 20 years ago, so why would I want to contact them now? One was my best friend in high school, but she had a mean streak, and I don't want to get in touch with her. One guy was pretty nice, but he changed his name to something I can't remember. Besides he has political views that run contrary to my own, so, while he's a nice person, I have no desire to start a Facebook "relationship" with him, 15 years later, out of the blue.

I have a good friend who I haven't seen in many months. But if I want to get in touch with her, I pick up the phone and say, "We haven't seen each other in so long; would you like to meet me at the coffee shop?" I don't care if she's getting ready to take a shower, or what she scored on a "What kind of marsupial are you?" test. And I wouldn't want to have a conversation with her which is view by other people. Same thing with a friend who I haven't seen in 20 years. Even though we only get in touch about once a year, she's a good friend, so why would I want to put our conversations online for other people to see?

I don't understand how people can "know" hundreds of people, first and last names, AND they are people that they truly want to keep in touch with, and yet the people still have time to sit around at the computer. I can see how someone might have met a bunch of people through some kind of activity or project, but in that case, wouldn't they already be in touch with each other if they want to be?

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 9:51 pm

I just talked to her again, and asked for another chance. She agreed and told me not to take it personally, but I still deleted my account. **** facebook.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 9:30 am

Yeah, it happens to me a lot but it's nothing I take too personally.
Of course of the 500 or so people I have added as a friend on facebook ("people" being used loosely, as some of them are organizations, promotional pages, roleplaying pages, etc.) it'd kind of hard to tell who's dropped me from their list, but I've learned to take it in pretty good humor and whatnot or just ignore it.

TheDuck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2009, 9:02 pm

Out of the 60+ friends I have on facebook I only ever really use it to communicate with about 10 of them (and I really don`t like facebook that much so dont use it much). And another 10 were people I used to go to school with that I sent a few messages to when they added me. I have never added anyone as a friend so I figure that people are just trying to get their friend count up for social recognition or something.

Observer20
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2009, 2:08 pm

I didn't even know you could delete people off of facebook. I thought once you added them, they were on your list forever :lol: . I have to delete someone because I have no idea who they are, I don't even know them yet somehow they ended up on my list, just because I probably hit "accept" without even looking at it. I only sent friends request out once, and that was because I had to get into contact with these 3 students from a class I was in, I don't even like them that much, and they don't really like me either but they told me that's how everyone communicates now-a-days.

I only use it to talk to my best friend, because I don't get to see him much. 2 of my really good friends from HS, who I haven't seen since I graduated found me on there, out of the blue, that was nice, but looking at their pages they aren't online much. I also have my younger brother on my list. If anyone of them dropped me, I'd be mad. Everyone else on my list, I would not even notice if they deleted me or not, because honestly it does not matter to me if I am friends with them or not.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 6:29 pm

Constantly. It's a revolving door. Though I have a huge network so I don't think it's that uncommon. A few leave. A bunch enter. A bunch leave. A few enter. Rinse and repeat.

StewartMango
Toucan
Toucan

21 Nov 2009, 3:30 pm

I rather them delete me then send me a hate message/comment, because they don't like my status updates.

But I do remove people when they start to have children, those baby status updates REALLY annoy the heck out of me!! !
Plus I complain about screaming children/crying babies a lot.

www.stewartmango.com

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 12:16 am

Yes, and that's why I've deleted my Facebook account. It really bothers me, although I know that it shouldn't. I'm an all or nothing person. If something doesn't work out, I want to forget about it. I guess it's not a very good trait to have, but it's impossible to change one's personality. So I just adapt. Being a social recluse at school, Facebook isn't crucial in my life. I don't need it.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 1:57 pm

I think my teacher deleted me as a friend.